RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

Seems like a really great kid but I think he will be a PS guy whether we get DHop or Jalen Wayne or Tyrell Shavers beats him out for a 53 spot. Wayne is a better receiver at this point and Shavers is a great special team gunner. Rooting for all three of them tho

42 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Since it's been reported the Bills had a personal meeting before the draft with this fella, I've got to figure it was a combination of talent, potential, and character that influenced the selection. Perry and Higgins may be better players now for all I know, but I'm not aware Bills' scouts talked to or observed them personally. Shorter appears quite bright and confident. Maybe he's going to be mistaken, but I'm sure he's correct about his innate talent and drive to achieve. In any event, he had the close contact with the folks doing the hiring and it paid off by giving him the opportunity.

Agree. And I only can grade based on what I see on film and read. I don’t have the ability to meet with the players. Talk with them. Ask about things like these teams which will help refine their internal grades. I try to get as close as I can but understand even with all I do my evaluations have information gaps that these teams have access too. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Chaos said:

image.thumb.png.779210577b25d96be210a138aa8f7828.png

That seems inaccurate for hand size. He has 10" hands. This list of 50 WR from this draft has only 5 WR's with larger hands. That would put him in 90th percentile. He also has the longest arms of all 50 WR's on the list, yet only 83rd percentile on here. 

Wondering if this graphic is for all-time WR measurements. The link below is only 50 WR's so maybe that graphic chart is for every eligible WR?

https://www.milehighreport.com/2023/3/5/23625775/nfl-scouting-combine-results-wide-receivers-tight-ends

This guy really feels like a steal in the 5th round for his upside alone. I wouldn't have complained if we took him the 3rd. But the way things fell were perfect. Offense 1 and 2 and getting good value and taking a LB to maybe fill a big void in round 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I saw this comparison as well in terms of build and running style in the open field. 

I don’t know TO as a college player after the catch but Shorter seems soft to me. To as a pro wasn’t soft.

What from his highlight videos would take you to think that he’s soft

What from his highlight videos would take you to think that he’s soft I’m just trying to understand this kind of evaluation

Is it because he was picked so late if he was picking the top five of the draft, nobody would be calling him soft

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Agree. And I only can grade based on what I see on film and read. I don’t have the ability to meet with the players. Talk with them. Ask about things like these teams which will help refine their internal grades. I try to get as close as I can but understand even with all I do my evaluations have information gaps that these teams have access too. 

Not a critique of your evaluation. On the contrary, you might very well be correct. I'm just saying the fella who gets the face time has an advantage if it goes well.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Not a critique of your evaluation. On the contrary, you might very well be correct. I'm just saying the fella who gets the face time has an advantage if it goes well.

Absolutely. Teams only have a limited amount authorized by league rules. If you can find out who they are talking to you really see who they are interested in. That in itself is a data point. Sometimes it is just hard to find who the teams are using these limited face to faces on. 

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That seems inaccurate for hand size. He has 10" hands. This list of 50 WR from this draft has only 5 WR's with larger hands. That would put him in 90th percentile. He also has the longest arms of all 50 WR's on the list, yet only 83rd percentile on here. 

Wondering if this graphic is for all-time WR measurements. The link below is only 50 WR's so maybe that graphic chart is for every eligible WR?

https://www.milehighreport.com/2023/3/5/23625775/nfl-scouting-combine-results-wide-receivers-tight-ends

This guy really feels like a steal in the 5th round for his upside alone. I wouldn't have complained if we took him the 3rd. But the way things fell were perfect. Offense 1 and 2 and getting good value and taking a LB to maybe fill a big void in round 3.  

His like of agility makes him an outlier. 

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If his agility was better and his 40 time one tenth of a second faster, he would have been a first round pick. 

He's got decent explosion and strength though. 

4.55 to 4.45 is a pretty huge difference. That would be a different category of talent to project.   I have a theory that is he is a victim of over training.  And that if the Bills conditioners can "loosen him up" a bit, the agility may be improvabile. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If his agility was better and his 40 time one tenth of a second faster, he would have been a first round pick. 

He's got decent explosion and strength though. 

I would argue that he would be a high first round, pick given the size of the top wide receiver crop this year

Quinton Johnson, who has a lot of holes in his game, was one of the very early wide receivers to come off the board

This is the definition of finding a diamond in the rough

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Srw1525 said:

He’s a reach. Has a history though of dropping balls. Time will tell.

You are joking right? Or are you just assuming because he went in the 5th he just dropped what came his way? Cause Shorter potentially could be a steal, 2018 highest recruited high school WR and I believe he had 1 drop in the last 100 plus targets. If anything his body doesn’t make him a crisp route runner within the first 15 yards but he is suppose to be a monster. And Diggs will have his routes crisper by season starts

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You think NFL draftniks are OCD?  Meet a Trekkie / Trekker sometime...😳

Ridge, we have 800 plus episodes and movies of Star Trek we can dive into and talk about at length together.

it will be a podcast. 

“Boldly Going with Ridge and Donuts”

or “Make It So with Ridge and Donuts”

or “If Only…If Only with Ridge and Donuts”

or “The Star Trek Show Featuring Donuts (with special guest star ridge)”

I know which one is my favorite, but decisions don’t have to be made right away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My fear isn't that this guy can't catch or that he drops passes.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  My fear is that he doesn't have the quickness or agility to get away from NFL cb's and that leaves him being a contested catch guy and reports are that for his size he's not great at contested catches.  That said I take everything I read on the internet with a grain of salt, he may come out and have a great feel for zones and be a smooth route runner and just find ways to get open.  It's as much on the OC as it is receivers sometimes.  I don't mind the pick.  The team had met with him and felt comfortable with him and they seem to be pretty decent at evaluating WR's.  I'll "trust the process".

Edited by Maine-iac

Part of me wonders if the Bills see Tee Higgins over in Cincinnati and said let’s see if we can get one of those. 

Shorter could become that .. he could be out of the league in a couple years. 

There weren’t any polished comps in this years draft, but in RD5 the Bills drafted a guy with good hands who is 6’4 229 runs a 4.55 compared to Tee Higgins at 6’4 218 running a 4.54. 

39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What from his highlight videos would take you to think that he’s soft

What from his highlight videos would take you to think that he’s soft I’m just trying to understand this kind of evaluation

Is it because he was picked so late if he was picking the top five of the draft, nobody would be calling him soft

Not much after the catch. Easy tackle for such a big WR.

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

To this point, I was also thinking that the Bills had another huge advantage in their evaluation of Shorter, that I have not seen mentioned much yet.  They have Kair Elam.

Elam practiced against Shorter on a daily basis, and had to be a good source of information regarding his strengths, weaknesses etc. I have no evidence that they took advantage of this connection, but it seems likely that they did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.