RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I hope you're right.  Big words from someone who has yet to step foot on an NFL practice field 

honestly, it’s about time we had someone with that attitude. 

not a good comparison but Sauce Gardner was the same way last year

we need more players with the work ethic, confidence and swagger of Diggs

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I love this pic

Played in high-level competition

Height, weight, decent speed, guy

Take a look at the deep boss. He is having to wait for several of those balls to get to him and slow down. That won’t be a problem with Josh Allen.

I’ve seen some people get on here and say that he has bad hands. He absolutely does not have bad hands. Take a look at how many drops in college

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not sure if this is a joke, but no, as a matter fact, he doesn’t drop balls

Someone said it early in the thread and a bunch of people took him at his word and started repeating it as though it was fact.  

The reality is, it was a knock on him early in college and he worked so hard on it, he turned a weakness into a strength. 

Then, he had some soft tissue injuries,  (hammie’s) that kept him off the field, and he started conditioning differently and shows signs of improvement there too.  

My kind of player, with a very high ceiling, and I am amazed that more people are not excited about this pick. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Someone said it early in the thread and a bunch of people took him at his word and started repeating it as though it was fact.  

The reality is, it was a knock on him early in college and he worked so hard on it, he turned a weakness into a strength. 

Then, he had some soft tissue injuries,  (hammie’s) that kept him off the field, and he started conditioning differently and shows signs of improvement there too.  

My kind of player, with a very high ceiling, and I am amazed that more people are not excited about this pick. 

I think Josh Allen will bring out the best in him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Gabe Davis replacement for the following year?

I predict that Shorter will not make the team.

He is not a hands catcher.  Not at all.   Its like he brings every ball into his stomach.  Even on Slants, he will fall/slide down in order to be in position to catch it where he is comfortable catching it.   In his mid-section.

beyond that, there is nothing athletic about him at all.   He moves like a slow TE3. 

Edited by maddenboy
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Anybody going to try and justify this pick as BPA?

Who did you have in mind as BPA?

9 hours ago, Vickveto said:

Should have taken Palmer 

Arnold Palmer, like Wayne Shorter, is no longer with us.

9 hours ago, Draconator said:

But how about his lungs?

Willie Nelson turns 90 years old today... doctors forced him to quit smoking so he's gone to the chewies.

9 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Watched a lot of Gator football, unfortunately, but he reminds me of a Duke Williams and Featherstone Hybrid.

Any relation to Rachad Wildgoose?

9 hours ago, Magox said:

His size, weight and speed combination along with really big wingspan makes him intriguing for sure.

Plus I read that he has gunner experience.   I think there is a good chance he makes the roster.

Agreed. With Taiwan Jones gone there's an opening for him on teams.

8 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Agree, I can’t dislike a fifth round pick, but I’m not in love with a guy who drops a ton of passes in college. You can have all the attributes, but how often do guys suddenly learn how to catch? 

8 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

And that’s good enough for a fifth round pick at this moment imo. I have reservations when I hear about his hands, but I’m not saying this is a bad pick, it’s the fifth round. 

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

This thread is hilarious. 90% of the posters admit they don't know the player but heard he drops passes so they it's a waste. Hey, maybe the scouting staff who had him in for a visit and gets paid for talent evaluations know a bit more than you as you wipe the cheeto dust of your keyboard while vehemently hating the pick before watching him at all. :doh:

Yes, in spite of about 10 or so posts showing various statistics proving that his drop rate is very low.

It gives sad insight into why this country is in its current state of being.

8 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

No lie, cheetos are the reason why chopsticks were invented.

That reminds me, did you no that the word "Gullible" is not in the dictionary?

8 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

If he was a lock to be playing in the NFL he wouldn't be a 5th round pick.  Not hating on the pick but outside of being huge he doesn't have a lot that would make you pick him over someone else.  That where our scouts come in ............ hopefully they know something and he's not James Hardy 2.0.

James Hardy was taken with the 41st pick. Shorter was taken with the 150th pick.

7 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Bills two pass catchers selected in the 2023 NFL Draft (Justin Shorter and Dalton Kincaid) COMBINED to drop three passes over the course of the last two years.

Forget about it. It's futile.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The catching technique doesn't look ideal in that video, but he apparently only has 1 drop on 114 targets over the past two seasons. If it works it works.

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

Not sure if anyone else is tracking this, but the Bills are adding size, which is a good thing.  Slot receiver Kincaid.  Monster sized guard.  Tall WR.  Now, about that LB...  The Bills are making a bold move not having a true MLB on the roster.

Incidentally, "that LB" (Dorian Williams) has 10.5" hands, 33.75" arms, and an 80.75" wingspan. These all exceed Jack Campbell's measurements... and Williams is about .2 seconds faster in the 40. He's gonna be fine.

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

People keep saying Knox has drop issues, when he's improved and hasn't really had that issue the last couple years. 🤷‍♂️

People say a lot of things around here... and then they repeat it. And then others repeat it. Even after they've been shown to be wrong.

The disregard for truth (or is it "only" gross ignorance?) has never been more prevalent than in today's world. And unfortunately this forum is not a haven from such idiocy.

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am crazy excited about this pack
This is the definition of hidden gem. The potential of this guy is ridiculous. Five star recruit, coming out of high school, huge fast shorthanded, get him with a good wide receiver, coach, and watch and blossom.

I just don’t understand what the fascination is with these little tiny receivers. We have one in Hardy who I like but I like big physical receivers who have speed and can High Point balls

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Who did you have in mind as BPA?

Arnold Palmer, like Wayne Shorter, is no longer with us.

Willie Nelson turns 90 years old today... doctors forced him to quit smoking so he's gone to the chewies.

Any relation to Rachad Wildgoose?

Agreed. With Taiwan Jones gone there's an opening for him on teams.

Yes, in spite of about 10 or so posts showing various statistics proving that his drop rate is very low.

It gives sad insight into why this country is in its current state of being.

That reminds me, did you no that the word "Gullible" is not in the dictionary?

James Hardy was taken with the 41st pick. Shorter was taken with the 150th pick.

Forget about it. It's futile.

Incidentally, "that LB" (Dorian Williams) has 10.5" hands, 33.75" arms, and an 80.75" wingspan. These all exceed Jack Campbell's measurements... and Williams is about .2 seconds faster in the 40. He's gonna be fine.

People say a lot of things around here... and then they repeat it. And then others repeat it. Even after they've been shown to be wrong.

The disregard for truth (or is it "only" gross ignorance?) has never been more prevalent than in today's world. And unfortunately this forum is not a haven from such idiocy.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you’re missing the beauty of a forum such as this. It’s a place not only to share our thoughts, but also for some us to learn. There’s some incredibly knowledgeable people on this board who I’ve learned a great deal from. I’m one of those who posted concerns about Shorter’s hands. There were pages of those concerns, so I immediately posted that I find it concerning. I was promptly corrected with stats, and once again, I learned something on TBD. That’s what a discussion is all about. Football misinformation used to take place on a bar stool back in the day, it was just considered guys talking back then. I appreciate your sentiment, but I think it’s taking the subject matter a bit too seriously. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I love this pic

Played in high-level competition

Height, weight, decent speed, guy

Take a look at the deep boss. He is having to wait for several of those balls to get to him and slow down. That won’t be a problem with Josh Allen.

I’ve seen some people get on here and say that he has bad hands. He absolutely does not have bad hands. Take a look at how many drops in college

with drops an imperfect stat, I tend to lean towards commentary of those watching, not just the stat line. I recall Florida fans early in this thread saying drops were frustrating- but we will see. 

its definitely a stat I wouldn’t correct others on unless I saw it with my own eyes

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I predict that Shorter will not make the team.

He is not a hands catcher.  Not at all.   Its like he brings every ball into his stomach.  Even on Slants, he will fall/slide down in order to be in position to catch it where he is comfortable catching it.   In his mid-section.

beyond that, there is nothing athletic about him at all.   He moves like a slow TE3.

Whatever his method of catching the ball (he had more than a few hands catches in that highlight video), he seems comfortable with it considering his low drop rate.  I don't know if he'll make the team but there's some value in a tall receiver with good hands who can high point the ball.

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So who would you have preferred at that spot?

Where did I say he would be behind Sherfield?  Sherfield is #5.

As I said, I didn't take the message "we see him more as an outside WR than slot" from what Beane said when we signed Harty.  He said nice things about his ability to track the ball downfield, doesn't make him an outside WR.

I defer to what you saw if you watched him in 2021, but I have questions about how he can release and separate from "sticky" coverage on a routine basis,  I assume the highlights are gonna be the "ooohs" and "aaahs" plays, but they may not represent snap to snap.

Well with my grading seeing they went WR I had 

AT Perry and Elijah Higgins graded higher. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Beane sure seems to talk about Shorter like he’s making the 53. 

A Hopkins trade could change things, but Hopkins doesn’t play ST’s and they clearly envision Shorter as a core ST’s guy and big WR to develop behind Gabe. 

The UDFA WR is also a wild card given reports he’s a monster gunner. 

Yeah as you mention he'll be on the 53 if he is a gunner - then they could potentially throw him in a few specifc plays on O.  All this talk of route running etc - I see him (at least initially) as a straight line deep threat, big receiver with straight line speed who tracks the ball.  An alternative to a smurf 'burner' WR in the same role.  RZ remains to be seen for me - takes more than just being tall

59 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well with my grading seeing they went WR I had 

AT Perry and Elijah Higgins graded higher. 

Since it's been reported the Bills had a personal meeting before the draft with this fella, I've got to figure it was a combination of talent, potential, and character that influenced the selection. Perry and Higgins may be better players now for all I know, but I'm not aware Bills' scouts talked to or observed them personally. Shorter appears quite bright and confident. Maybe he's going to be mistaken, but I'm sure he's correct about his innate talent and drive to achieve. In any event, he had the close contact with the folks doing the hiring and it paid off by giving him the opportunity.

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He reminds me of T.O. in terms of his build. 

T.O 6'3" 224lbs

Shorter 6'4" 229lbs

I saw this comparison as well in terms of build and running style in the open field. 

I don’t know TO as a college player after the catch but Shorter seems soft to me. To as a pro wasn’t soft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.