RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

2 hours ago, par73 said:

He was a bust with two major college programs. May have been available as a FA. This after the baffling Williams pick.

He wasn’t a bust.  He played with crappy QBs at UF that couldn’t hit an intermediate route with accuracy or timing.  Speaking of, I can’t believe Richardson went 4th overall. This guy has the physical talent and is a solid blocking WR and hasn’t ever played with a decent QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm guessing he's calling the 3rd Outside X WR "WR4" with the Slot being WR3. It seems from Beane's words, Harty is not being looked at as a Slot - but as an outside Deep threat.

I didn't take that from what Beane said at all - I agree they aren't looking at Harty as the primary slot, but traditionally #4 was the "gadget guy" - McKenzie's role prior to 2022, the Gadget guy who runs jet sweeps and reverses, played from the slot where he gets a free release, ran deep crossers.

Outside deep threat - wouldn't you think he'd get jammed and held at 5'7", 170?

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The catching technique doesn't look ideal in that video, but he apparently only has 1 drop on 114 targets over the past two seasons. If it works it works.

yeah. He’s almost trapping that thing on those twitter highlights. Whatever coach him up I guess he’s a late 5th round pick. If he can figure out catch mechanics he could be very good

30 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Looks like he has good speed, but doesn’t seem to create separation.  Good blocker.  Probably great at jump balls.  I like it.  Why not take a gamble on a physical specimen in the 5th round?

This exactly!  Lots of peeps complain about this regime not taking chances on physical specimens with huge upside.  Love a pick like this in the 5th!  

Dudes a beast and if we’re lucky, he shows out. Imagine him, Knox, Kincaid, and Diggs lined up. Would be silly trying to cover all of that. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I didn't take that from what Beane said at all - I agree they aren't looking at Harty as the primary slot, but traditionally #4 was the "gadget guy" - McKenzie's role prior to 2022, the Gadget guy who runs jet sweeps and reverses, played from the slot where he gets a free release, ran deep crossers.

Outside deep threat - wouldn't you think he'd get jammed and held at 5'7", 170?

If you watch his highlights from 2021, he was working on the outside in that role quite a bit. Beane even said when we signed him that he sees him more of an Outside WR than Slot.

Maybe he moves inside and out. But there's no way we paid him what we paid him when we paid him for him to be declared behind Sherfield (a guy we paid a 1 year 1.7m dollar deal after the 2nd wave of FA) and Shorter (a late 5th Round developmental prospect).

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

my grade was 6th rounder with biggest thing I have written alot can he separate. questions.

think a more athletic Kumerow here. I have better six speed candidates on my list. 

So who would you have preferred at that spot?

21 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If you watch his highlights from 2021, he was working on the outside in that role quite a bit. Beane even said when we signed him that he sees him more of an Outside WR than Slot.

Maybe he moves inside and out. But there's no way we paid him what we paid him when we paid him for him to be declared behind Sherfield (a guy we paid a 1 year 1.7m dollar deal after the 2nd wave of FA) and Shorter (a late 5th Round developmental prospect).

Where did I say he would be behind Sherfield?  Sherfield is #5.

As I said, I didn't take the message "we see him more as an outside WR than slot" from what Beane said when we signed Harty.  He said nice things about his ability to track the ball downfield, doesn't make him an outside WR.

I defer to what you saw if you watched him in 2021, but I have questions about how he can release and separate from "sticky" coverage on a routine basis,  I assume the highlights are gonna be the "ooohs" and "aaahs" plays, but they may not represent snap to snap.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

He wasn’t a bust.  He played with crappy QBs at UF that couldn’t hit an intermediate route with accuracy or timing.  Speaking of, I can’t believe Richardson went 4th overall. This guy has the physical talent and is a solid blocking WR and hasn’t ever played with a decent QB. 

I haven't watched too many games on him yet, but from what I saw in the couple I did watch, and from gathering other opinions as well, it seems as though there were a lot of plays left on the field for this guy because of bad QB play or a breakdown in other areas at times.  Will have to watch more, but those are some impressions I have already taken away.  Can't wait to do a little more work on him.  

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Did they cover this on TV? ESPN seems to be chatting about each pick. 

In a random Bills segment they talked about him as being an underwhelming WR given his traits but as having all the potential in the world.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Thanks for posting this. I am very impressed. Just like with Shakir last year. They are different, but I really like them both and will root for them a lot.

Apparently he didn't realize his potential on college from some reason but he seems mentally tough and dedicated to football.

4 hours ago, Srw1525 said:

He’s a reach. Has a history though of dropping balls. Time will tell.

I thought I read that last year, though, he did not drop one ball.

This true?

If so, I think it is an excellent late pick--big, good hands, and a big play receiver.

Rated best wide receiver prospect in country out of high school.

21 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I thought I read that last year, though, he did not drop one ball.

This true?

If so, I think it is an excellent late pick--big, good hands, and a big play receiver.

Rated best wide receiver prospect in country out of high school.

6 drops in 177 targets isnt exactly a drop issue

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Justin Shorter verses AT Perry both 6’4”.

Bills take Shorter in the 5th

Saints gets Perry in the 6th

The yards, catches, touchdowns all favor Perry, the combine also favors Perry.

One key difference the Bills must be banking on is Shorter is 30 pounds heavier at the same height. 

and built like a greek god muscular wise

4 hours ago, Srw1525 said:

He’s a reach. Has a history though of dropping balls. Time will tell.

So he will fit right in.😂

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Brady made history taking washups and failures and making them all stars.  Josh can do the same

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.