RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

He likely won’t make the 53. But could a position switch be in the cards???  There could be ability with a year on PS to transition into a pass catching Flex TE. 

Why do you think he won't make 53? If I am not mistaken our 5th rounds picks (almost?) always make roster, and right now he is WR6 with ST ability (which we tend to have every year IIRC, last year it was Kumerow).

Not saying he's a lock but I do expect him to make 53 right now.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Why do you think he won't make 53? If I am not mistaken our 5th rounds picks (almost?) always make roster, and right now he is WR6 with ST ability (which we tend to have every year IIRC, last year it was Kumerow).

Not saying he's a lock but I do expect him to make 53 right now.

I’d go a step further and say I expect him to be active on gameday at minimum ST and Redzone target.

if he looks strong at camp, he could push for the WR3 role…which is currently up for grabs

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

just the typical lazy reports. The same ones that say he has a “drops” problem. 

I actually didn't see many saying drops were a problem.  I did see conflicting reports (or at least confusing) that he runs routes well but then at the same time he comes from a spread offense and doesn't have much of a route tree.   So he runs 4 routes but runs them really well?  At least two reports suggested moving him to TE.

This thread is hilarious. 90% of the posters admit they don't know the player but heard he drops passes so they it's a waste. Hey, maybe the scouting staff who had him in for a visit and gets paid for talent evaluations know a bit more than you as you wipe the cheeto dust of your keyboard while vehemently hating the pick before watching him at all. :doh:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

This thread is hilarious. 90% of the posters admit they don't know the player but heard he drops passes so they it's a waste. Hey, maybe the scouting staff who had him in for a visit and gets paid for talent evaluations know a bit more than you as you wipe the cheeto dust of your keyboard while vehemently hating the pick before watching him at all. :doh:

This. I have no idea how anyone can hate taking a chance on a 6’4 230 WR who was the #1 WR 5 star recruit in 2018 above 3 WR’s who became elite in the NFL. 

Not to mention, he’s a smart kid who made the honor role at school, values his education and works his tail off to have a body that looks like DK Metcalf.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

No lie, cheetos are the reason why chopsticks were invented.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Shorter came to PSU as a 5star, #1 WR recruit. 
Was injured, then disappointing when he played. Stiff, didn’t separate, dropped balls. 
I heard he was better at Florida, but didn’t see much of him when I watched them play. 
He’s still tall, so there’s that. 

Injuries hampered his development.  We have a much better strength and conditioning team than he had in college and he won't be expected to be a star day 1.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This. I have no idea how anyone can hate taking a chance on a 6’4 230 WR who was the #1 WR 5 star recruit in 2018 above 3 WR’s who became elite in the NFL. 

Not to mention, he’s a smart kid who made the honor role at school, values his education and works his tail off to have a body that looks like DK Metcalf.

Because he wasn't my pick!!!!!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f47672i9bley0q629j

😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

3 of the first four Bills picks this year are 23+ years old.  It seems "young" is not a specific attribute the Bill are targeting. 

Yeah seems like they were specifically targeting seniors this year. At least in the first round beane has been going really young until now. 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

If he was a lock to be playing in the NFL he wouldn't be a 5th round pick.  Not hating on the pick but outside of being huge he doesn't have a lot that would make you pick him over someone else.  That where our scouts come in ............ hopefully they know something and he's not James Hardy 2.0.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wow. Antonio Johnson and Luke Wypler still out there. Teams must know something the public doesnt.

Eagles stacking players from UGA champ team. Bills stacking players from... Florida, oof. 🤣🤣

But at this point of the draft, sure, whatever they want to do.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that watch what CJ Stroud did to them. 

25 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Outside of losing Edmunds, I'm not sure how you think the defense will be any worse than last year.  In fact, with Tre coming back at 100% (hopefully), Elam taking the next step after closing the year strong, Hyde coming back, Poyer no longer being held together by duct tape, and Von getting back early in the season, it sounds to me like the defense shouldn't see much of a drop off in talent.  If they can figure out MLB, they could even be better with guys coming back healthy.  Throw in the fact with Frazier gone that we should hopefully see less soft coverage and more of an aggressive style of defense, I don't think the defense will be a disaster at all.  

The fact is, defense doesn't matter as much in this league as it used to.  Look at the Super Bowl.  The Eagles set records for sacks and had one of the statistically best defenses in the league last year and they got boat raced in the Super Bowl and never even touched Mahomes.  Offenses are getting too good and if you want to win big in this league, you have to outscore people.  No matter how good your defense is, in the big games, you will have to probably put up 30-35 points to have a chance at winning no matter how good your defense is.  It's just super hard to play defense against the best teams in the league.

Yes, you can win a lot of games in this league with a good defense because there aren't a ton of explosive offenses yet, but the league is heading that way and you can see it.  But just because you can stop average offenses, doesn't mean much when you go up against the elite ones. 

Smallest LB Corp in league, poor pass rush and overall poor front 7.  They won't get off the field on 3rd down and they are slow.  They haven't upgraded anywhere on defense.  Not physical enough.

33 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

How do you even figure that? We lost 1 impact defender. It's all about the D staying healthy. Our injuries were unlucky last year. We've been a perennial top 5 d under McD. Geez 

I'm not confident in the front 7 outside of Milano at all.  They are not physical at all

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Smallest LB Corp in league, poor pass rush and overall poor front 7.  They won't get ouch the field on 3rd down and they are slow

Again.....only Edmunds different in the LB corps.  Same d line coming back with the younger guys having another year of experience and a couple of them playing in contract years which should lead to them providing their max effort.  I don't see any difference from what we have had on the field the last couple years except for Edmunds.

Edited by sven233
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.