RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

And that’s good enough for a fifth round pick at this moment imo. I have reservations when I hear about his hands, but I’m not saying this is a bad pick, it’s the fifth round. 

Agree. If we get a depth developmental receiver who can be active gameday as a special team gunner, that is a great 5th round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JerseyBills said:

How do you even figure that? We lost 1 impact defender. It's all about the D staying healthy. Our injuries were unlucky last year. We've been a perennial top 5 d under McD. Geez 

I could be wrong here, but I feel that Frazier's defense worked like clockwork - literally, clockwork where each player was a carefully crafted part and all 11 parts had to work perfectly together for the D as a whole to be effective.

I think it's very probable that with losing that 1 impact defender, we WILL see the D fall off, and it may be what it was in 2017 - maybe a middle-of-the-pack D that has to pick its poison more (stop the run, or stifle the pass)

But in 2017 we still won enough games to make the playoffs, so there's that.

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dezmin Lewis sends his regards!

Never heard of him…, 😂

Just now, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong here, but I feel that Frazier's defense worked like clockwork - literally, clockwork where each player was a carefully crafted part and all 11 parts had to work perfectly together for the D as a whole to be effective.

I think it's very probable that with losing that 1 impact defender, we WILL see the D fall off, and it may be what it was in 2017 - maybe a middle-of-the-pack D that has to pick its poison more (stop the run, or stifle the pass)

But in 2017 we still won enough games to make the playoffs, so there's that.

Ironically, I liked the 2017 defense better than some of our more recent higher ranked defensive teams. They picked the right spots to be aggressive, and made game changing plays. That’s been lacking, and a defense that makes big plays is exactly what you need with a talented offense. You’re going to give up points in the league, but that playmaking ability is huge come playoff time, and we haven’t had it, regardless of defense rankings. 

Shorter came to PSU as a 5star, #1 WR recruit. 
Was injured, then disappointing when he played. Stiff, didn’t separate, dropped balls. 
I heard he was better at Florida, but didn’t see much of him when I watched them play. 
He’s still tall, so there’s that. 

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He better hit because the defense is going to be horrible this year.  They need to score 30-35 ppg

Outside of losing Edmunds, I'm not sure how you think the defense will be any worse than last year.  In fact, with Tre coming back at 100% (hopefully), Elam taking the next step after closing the year strong, Hyde coming back, Poyer no longer being held together by duct tape, and Von getting back early in the season, it sounds to me like the defense shouldn't see much of a drop off in talent.  If they can figure out MLB, they could even be better with guys coming back healthy.  Throw in the fact with Frazier gone that we should hopefully see less soft coverage and more of an aggressive style of defense, I don't think the defense will be a disaster at all.  

The fact is, defense doesn't matter as much in this league as it used to.  Look at the Super Bowl.  The Eagles set records for sacks and had one of the statistically best defenses in the league last year and they got boat raced in the Super Bowl and never even touched Mahomes.  Offenses are getting too good and if you want to win big in this league, you have to outscore people.  No matter how good your defense is, in the big games, you will have to probably put up 30-35 points to have a chance at winning no matter how good your defense is.  It's just super hard to play defense against the best teams in the league.

Yes, you can win a lot of games in this league with a good defense because there aren't a ton of explosive offenses yet, but the league is heading that way and you can see it.  But just because you can stop average offenses, doesn't mean much when you go up against the elite ones. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s fair, I didn’t have the stats, I’m just reading everywhere saying he had a problem with drops. 

Yeah, I think one or two guys said that, and everyone is taking it as truth.  I believe he had 6 drops in his college career, with only 1 in the last 2 seasons, and none last year. He actually has very good hands.  

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.