Bills Roster Discussion

Yantha

I love the additions on offense. RT is really the only weakness, and if we believe what the Bills have said about his injury last year he may rebound. 

On defense, the secondary should be better just by getting Hyde back. Adding safety depth helps, and Elam coming in more confident should also help. The Dline gets better when Von returns. 

The big drop off is MLB. Would be nice to add a veteran capable of lessening the drop off from Temaine. 

All things considered, if we avoid major injuries we should be a little better this year (we were 13-3 and seemed to go through everything you can imagine). 

Probably still comes down to health and peaking at the right time in the playoffs. We’re a legit contender, so can’t really complain. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think the "problem" has been vastly overblown by many posters here. Beane mentioned that Davis took a while coming back from the high ankle sprain to where he felt comfortable pushing off of it on certain routes and that hampered him more than he let on. IMO without that he likely has over 1000 yards receiving.

Bills fans seem to view this as a much bigger issue than Bills GM or coaches do.

Agree with the bolded 100%. 

The "problem" with Davis is that he isn't Tee Higgins as a "#2WR". Having a second WR like that really is a rarity and not the rule. As a number 2 WR Davis would start for roughly half the teams in the NFL IMO. 

The only issues I do have with Davis are his ankles and his consistency...which may or may not come back to the ankle issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

I am really excited about this roster!  Last year it was obvious that our weakness on offense was on the oline and the lack of real weapons beyond just a couple of guys.  This new offensive roster should result in a younger, better oline with depth.  Also we now have offensive weapons that can create mismatches and allow for more unpredictability.

Defensively...just getting Von back will help the pass rush.  At DT the big concern is next year, so hopefully we extend a couple guys and bring in some FAs.  I've got to believe they have a plan at LB...and we've definitely added speed and tackling ability there.  I agree with others that have said just getting Hyde back improves the secondary.  The young corners that were pressed into service last year showed that there is talent there so I only expect improvement.  

I know that folks complain about the emphasis on STs.  I'm hoping that these older players that have tied up salary playing primarily STs will be replaced by many of these young signings.

Getting younger is huge moving forward.

I know the division competition has gotten better, but in thinking of those games last year where we struggled it was largely due to the ineffective oline play.  So...yes divisional opposition has improved...but then again, I think, so have we.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/29/2023 at 4:59 PM, Big Turk said:

It's still one of the best rosters in the NFL with good depth at most places.

This. It is one of the deepest rosters in the league. QB2, OT and LB are the depth questions for me. Elsewhere you might question is the top end talent good enough (DL in particular) but the Bills 2nd team dline could play in an NFL game tomorrow and not get embarrassed. 

They remain very deep.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/29/2023 at 8:54 PM, KDIGGZ said:

I wouldn't put Kincaid over Knox. It sounds like Knox is the every down TE and Kincaid takes Morris' spot.

Kincaid is really taking up the slot receiver position.  (McKenzie,  Crowder and then Beasley late in the season).   

Harris over Cook as the every down back.

I think we will go with the same split like last year for Cook and Harris (Singletary).   I think Cook gets the higher number of carries than Harris (Harris is also on just a one year deal).

I see glaring needs at WR and MLB. I hope they are not done adding people.

WR is really not a glaring need.  If they involve Kincaid and Cook in the passing game significantly, then those catches/touches (of the WR group) will shift to them.  Josh needs to learn to make more of those touch passes this season and let these two athletes get the YAC. 

MLB is a huge unknown and concerning to me especially considering that we have not improved the front four with a big run stopper.   This finesse defense needs to go and we haven't drafted or picked in FA any player that can stop the run consistently.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:01 PM, Yantha said:

Kincaid over Shakir.  ;)

I think Shakir shares snaps with Diggs, Davis and Knox on the perimeter. 

Kincaid shares snaps with Cook and Sherfield

A lot of exciting possibilities.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:07 PM, Yantha said:

I think that's because our O-line sucked so bad they were held back to block?  Just guessing.

Josh and Ken were simply looking for the big plays in the 2nd half of the season.  They need to trust the RB and TEs to make plays YAC.

The roster isn’t perfect and everything hinges on health and age. I feel much better about the offense than defense because we need to see if the tandem of Hyde and Poyer will still be effective, whether or not tre white can return to his former self, and if the younger defensive linemen like espenesa, Oli, basham, and groot can take the next step. 

MLB is not essential for this defense to be effective, but the secondary and defensive line are. 

I do like the addition of that ram safety though, he might be able to ‘act’ like a mlb. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2023 at 11:58 AM, SCBills said:

I still think we desperately need another outside WR, but when healthy, this Offense has absolutely filthy potential. 

The contrast between the slot options we can throw at teams is absurd..

Defenses already have to worry about Diggs & Davis outside, Knox at TE and then in the slot:

Kincaid - TE/WR hybrid

Shakir - Deebo-lite

Harty - Speed & Route Running

Add in the fact James Cook can run WR routes from anywhere on the field 

With a much improved OL (on paper) sky is the limit. 

I don't think we're desperate for another Outside WR.

Given Beane's comments after signing Harty and then Drafting Dalton Kincaid, who's really a big slot - it appears to me Harty is the #3 X WR.

Between Diggs and Davis on the Outside with Kincaid in the Slot and Dawson Knox at TE. The starting lineup is solid.

Behind Diggs and Davis on the outside will be Deonte Harty as WR3, Trent Sherfield (playing as the 4th or 5th Outside WR following a solid year as Miami's WR3), and Justin Shorter behind him. Khalil Shakir will play in the Slot in some packages and behind Kincaid.

And as you mentioned, Cook can also split out wide. I think when it comes to Pass Catchers as a whole - we're very solid. WR is in good shape. Desperate is a strong word.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This. It is one of the deepest rosters in the league. QB2, OT and LB are the depth questions for me. Elsewhere you might question is the top end talent good enough (DL in particular) but the Bills 2nd team dline could play in an NFL game tomorrow and not get embarrassed. 

They remain very deep.

Thanks for pointing this out. It seems to be debated more than not from fans on this board and has creeped up elsewhere. I think the Cincinnati loss is the culprit - but this is a solid roster. 

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think we're desperate for another Outside WR.

Given Beane's comments after signing Harty and then Drafting Dalton Kincaid, who's really a big slot - it appears to me Harty is the #3 X WR.

Between Diggs and Davis on the Outside with Kincaid in the Slot and Dawson Knox at TE. The starting lineup is solid.

Behind Diggs and Davis on the outside will be Deonte Harty as WR3, Trent Sherfield (playing as the 4th or 5th Outside WR following a solid year as Miami's WR3), and Justin Shorter behind him. Khalil Shakir will play in the Slot in some packages and behind Kincaid.

And as you mentioned, Cook can also split out wide. I think when it comes to Pass Catchers as a whole - we're very solid. WR is in good shape. Desperate is a strong word.

In fairness, I posted that at noon on Saturday.. before we drafted Shorter. 

I still don’t know that I love our WR room.. but we have limited resources and chose to take give ourselves a potential monster TE tandem.  

Shorter does make me feel better about outside depth.  He’s all potential … the floor is really low, but at least we have another big body outside WR to develop long term behind Diggs and Davis as a potential option other than Harty, who is a very different skill set. 

Shakir and Sherfield both being inside/outside flex.   If I had to guess, Shakir will focus more on the slot now. 

WR room has potential and good depth, but until proven otherwise, is lacking at the WR2 spot for an elite pass heavy offense. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree with the bolded 100%. 

The "problem" with Davis is that he isn't Tee Higgins as a "#2WR". Having a second WR like that really is a rarity and not the rule. As a number 2 WR Davis would start for roughly half the teams in the NFL IMO. 

The only issues I do have with Davis are his ankles and his consistency...which may or may not come back to the ankle issue. 

I agree with the Tee Higgins as a "#2 WR".  Gabe is a #2.  It would be nice if we have a #2A and #2B and we may very well currently.  Regarding Davis as a #1 on half the teams in the NFL, I am not sure.  Back in the Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey days he would have been our #1 though.

I also think unless Gabe Davis has an improved year AND takes a home town discount he will not be on the Bills next year.  Unless the cap goes up $30 million.  Even if it goes up $20 we need the money to pay for our current roster.

Go Bills!

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They remain very deep.

Agreed on everything.  Our OT may be good enough or better than we think.  That is hope, but, hope isn't a good way to be successful.  But, I love our roster and you can't have a perfect roster in the NFL.

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Kincaid is really taking up the slot receiver position.  (McKenzie,  Crowder and then Beasley late in the season).   

I think we will go with the same split like last year for Cook and Harris (Singletary).   I think Cook gets the higher number of carries than Harris (Harris is also on just a one year deal).

WR is really not a glaring need.  If they involve Kincaid and Cook in the passing game significantly, then those catches/touches (of the WR group) will shift to them.  Josh needs to learn to make more of those touch passes this season and let these two athletes get the YAC. 

Agreed on everything.  The Oline is better and so are the weapons.  Josh will be healthier and most importantly Dorsey needs to use his weapons better.

I like Cook and would like to see him get the ball more and be thrown to more.  Kincaid...very cool, let's use him and all over the field!  Harris is a nice piece we didn't have.  Very exciting!

11 minutes ago, Manther said:

I agree with the Tee Higgins as a "#2 WR".  Gabe is a #2.  It would be nice if we have a #2A and #2B and we may very well currently.  Regarding Davis as a #1 on half the teams in the NFL, I am not sure.  Back in the Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey days he would have been our #1 though.

I also think unless Gabe Davis has an improved year AND takes a home town discount he will not be on the Bills next year.  Unless the cap goes up $30 million.  Even if it goes up $20 we need the money to pay for our current roster.

Go Bills!

Agreed on everything.  Our OT may be good enough or better than we think.  That is hope, but, hope isn't a good way to be successful.  But, I love our roster and you can't have a perfect roster in the NFL.

Think I may have either misspoke or you misunderstood what I meant.

I wasn't saying he would be #1 WR on half the teams in the NFL. I meant he could start on half the teams. Contrary to belief he actually is a solid #2...better than most have.

There are options for that 2A or 2B guy on the roster. Shakir, Harty, Sheffield and even Kincaid will be given the chance to be that guy. Hopefully one of them steps up and grabs a hold of the opportunity. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Think I may have either misspoke or you misunderstood what I meant.

I wasn't saying he would be #1 WR on half the teams in the NFL. I meant he could start on half the teams. Contrary to belief he actually is a solid #2...better than most have.

There are options for that 2A or 2B guy on the roster. Shakir, Harty, Sheffield and even Kincaid will be given the chance to be that guy. Hopefully one of them steps up and grabs a hold of the opportunity. 

Agreed!

On 4/29/2023 at 11:46 AM, No_Matter_What said:

I say let's wait how today shakes out and then I post my comments. I have my own roster chart I'll post it here tonight.

So much wasted conversation in the football world for the last THREE MONTHS about nothing.

Now we all know what real teams have actually done!  Talk about THAT!

On 4/29/2023 at 11:32 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Kincaid is going to make his biggest impact playing in the slot as a rookie I doubt he plays many base offense snaps.

If Kincaid can be a passable blocker and optionally flex out, he helps the team greatly.  

I only skimmed, so apologies if I am restating someone else's point.

The offense will include several "packages" which will include different personnel and have different focuses.

For example: A Heavy-type package might be call Bear and it focus on running the ball and play action.  It could include 21 Personnel where we'd have Knox, Gilliam, Harris, Davis and Shorter.

You could also have a "Light-Heavy"-type package that was 22 personnel and have more of a passing focus.  Call it Tiger.  This could be Knox, Kincaid, Hynes, Cook, and Diggs.

Obviously there are tons of potential packages and personnel groupings to take advantage of throughout the course of a season.  These will change based on availability, game plan, rhythms, etc. 

Looking forward to seeing how the different players are used and the packages that the Bills run this season.  Personally, I am looking for some more screen passes and taking advantage of deep safeties with underneath passes and delayed handoffs to Cook and Hynes.

Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:14 AM, Yantha said:

Hello all,

This thread is to discuss the state of the roster overall.  After 3 rounds, and after the 5th and 6th.

Take a look at the additions and subtractions.  I think that we have two new starting OG's with Torrence at RG.  That's a significant upgrade there already.  Saffold was THAT bad.  I think that the loss/gain on WR is also a plus, and I'd add Kincaid to that "slot" mix as well as TE mix.  We retained some good pass rush depth, and Oliver is still a big part of that DL.  I think we are even on RB, with more upside at the position.  Linebacker is bolstered depth wise but questions remain at MLB.  Safety depth took a big step forward with Rapp.  Corner looks solid with Elam gaining experience and White healing up.

Overall, this is an improved team I think.  Still time to add depth.

Free Agency:

MLB Tremaine Edmunds

OG Connor McGovern, OG David Edwards

SS Jordan Poyer, FS Taylor Rapp, S Jaquon Johnson

WR Donte Harty, WR Trent Sherfield, WR Jamison Crowder, Isaiah McKenzie

QB Case Keenum, QB Kyle Allen

DE Jordan Phillips, DE Shaq Lawson

RB Devin Singletary, RB Damien Harris

OT David Queensberry

*Also "lost", Saffold, Jones, Van Roten, Kumerow, Marlowe, Hart, Murray, Sweeney.  For the most part, are addition by subtraction.  

Depth Chart (after round 3):  Due to upload limitations I have to upload the offensive depth chart in a second post.

ScreenShot2023-04-29at11_09_23AM.thumb.png.683ac8ff5b7e6aec98fe5b80f4682ac0.png

ScreenShot2023-04-29at11_10_24AM.thumb.png.56b416ab9eeabc287e06786e283e0b6a.png

Trying to figure out for the life of me what "CF" and "SF" mean?

• Haha (+1) 1

Sheesh

i am probably the only one here that is thinking Kincaid is allowed to be average this year and if he exceeds my expectations excellent

I feel he will be good - and first couple preseason games and regualr season I’ll be double taking saying “wait who was that again?”  

but everyone coming out of the gate saying Kincaid is going to be the number 2 star behind Diggs idk

MAYBE eclipse 500 yards in my estimate…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.