Bills Roster Discussion

Yantha

Hello all,

This thread is to discuss the state of the roster overall.  After 3 rounds, and after the 5th and 6th.

Take a look at the additions and subtractions.  I think that we have two new starting OG's with Torrence at RG.  That's a significant upgrade there already.  Saffold was THAT bad.  I think that the loss/gain on WR is also a plus, and I'd add Kincaid to that "slot" mix as well as TE mix.  We retained some good pass rush depth, and Oliver is still a big part of that DL.  I think we are even on RB, with more upside at the position.  Linebacker is bolstered depth wise but questions remain at MLB.  Safety depth took a big step forward with Rapp.  Corner looks solid with Elam gaining experience and White healing up.

Overall, this is an improved team I think.  Still time to add depth.

Free Agency:

MLB Tremaine Edmunds

OG Connor McGovern, OG David Edwards

SS Jordan Poyer, FS Taylor Rapp, S Jaquon Johnson

WR Donte Harty, WR Trent Sherfield, WR Jamison Crowder, Isaiah McKenzie

QB Case Keenum, QB Kyle Allen

DE Jordan Phillips, DE Shaq Lawson

RB Devin Singletary, RB Damien Harris

OT David Queensberry

*Also "lost", Saffold, Jones, Van Roten, Kumerow, Marlowe, Hart, Murray, Sweeney.  For the most part, are addition by subtraction.  

Depth Chart (after round 3):  Due to upload limitations I have to upload the offensive depth chart in a second post.

ScreenShot2023-04-29at11_09_23AM.thumb.png.683ac8ff5b7e6aec98fe5b80f4682ac0.png

ScreenShot2023-04-29at11_10_24AM.thumb.png.56b416ab9eeabc287e06786e283e0b6a.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wouldn't put Kincaid over Knox. It sounds like Knox is the every down TE and Kincaid takes Morris' spot.

Also Bernard starting at MLB I don't see happening. I'd say Dodson is the starter at this moment, which is a scary thought.

Harris over Cook as the every down back.

I think Quessenberry will be starting at RT at some point this year if not now.

I see glaring needs at WR and MLB. I hope they are not done adding people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I wouldn't put Kincaid over Knox. It sounds like Knox is the every down TE and Kincaid takes Morris' spot.

Also Bernard starting at MLB I don't see happening. I'd say Dodson is the starter at this moment, which is a scary thought.

Kincaid over Shakir.  ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Kincaid over Shakir.  ;)

Maybe. I'm a "I'll believe it when I see it" when it comes to them actually utilizing him in an effective way. Seems like they draft these hybrid type guys and then don't use them like that. All last year we heard how badly they needed a pass catching RB and then they get Cook and Hynes and don't throw to either!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Maybe. I'm a "I'll believe it when I see it" when it comes to them actually utilizing him in an effective way. Seems like they draft these hybrid type guys and then don't use them like that. All last year we heard how badly they needed a pass catching RB and then they get Cook and Hynes and don't throw to either!

I think that's because our O-line sucked so bad they were held back to block?  Just guessing.

15 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

No Kincaid will be taking the slot WR spot a lot of times. He is going to be used as a "move" TE where they line him up all over the formation to create mismatches and allow him to work the middle of the field and get open. Similar to how KC uses Kelce.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

This roster looks pretty good.

I agree that Kincaid shouldn't be considered a "starter ",yet, and some positions will be competitive in camp.

Although the DLine has quantity, I want to add a  quick, Von -Miller clone pass rusher.

Perhaps players like WR Xavier Hutchinson , Scott and Perry or RB Roschon Johnson will be available.

29 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Knox is the regular TE.

Kincaid plays second TE/ inside slot just off the line. H can also be used as an outside receiver against a small CB

I still think we desperately need another outside WR, but when healthy, this Offense has absolutely filthy potential. 

The contrast between the slot options we can throw at teams is absurd..

Defenses already have to worry about Diggs & Davis outside, Knox at TE and then in the slot:

Kincaid - TE/WR hybrid

Shakir - Deebo-lite

Harty - Speed & Route Running

Add in the fact James Cook can run WR routes from anywhere on the field 

With a much improved OL (on paper) sky is the limit. 

58 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Maybe Carter Warren or Jaelyn Duncan slips down to the Bills pick. Both were starters for pass happy offenses in Pitt/Maryland. I'd take them over Quess

Epenesa and Basham must be the happiest guys on the roster. Neither are worthy of a roster spot yet the Bills have done nothing to address the edge situation.  Hopefully they can add a veteran post June 1 on a 1 year deal and move on from these two busts.

Still hate the fact we have a FB on the roster.  Wasted roster and cap space in my mind.  But I can't see that changing this year.

With Kincaid being added I would get rid of Morris and go with just two TEs again.  I'd rather use the extra roster spot to let one of these small LBs play STs, occasional 4-3 sets, or play some big-nickel.   

I think the final roster decisions will come down to how many safeties they want to keep on the roster.  I had Benson moving to S this year but it doesn't look like that will happen.  Now we have a bit of a glut at CB.  If White doesn't rebound fully he may be a cap casualty for 2024.  Probably too soon to think about it, but maybe Dane Jackson is a trade possibility?

Below is current Bills roster the way I see it.

There are 53 players over the grey line - my random estimate who could make the roster. There are obviously lots of questions, e.g.:

1. I'd like to fit Broeker, since we need cheap rookies on roster, but not sure who to replace right now.

2. Shorter is close to lock imo, and it seems that Shavers has some chance due to his ST ability.

3. We used to have 4 RBs, but one of them was Taiwan Jones and ST player, it's not happening again.

4. There has to be odd man out in LB corps - Spector?

5. I hope that somebody can tak Siran Neal's role in ST, so we can cut him, save $2.3M and fit Alex Austin in.

Color legend:

Players who were on roster in 2022 and had contract

Players who were on roster in 2022 and were re-signed

Free agency

Draft

Undrafted FA

Bills2023rosterB.thumb.jpg.68c91650e6cf28f360412129161fd30d.jpg

Edited by No_Matter_What

On 4/29/2023 at 8:24 AM, KDIGGZ said:

Kincaid solves WR and Cook is starting RB-2nd round pick showing nothing but improvement.
Agree on Dodson. SB has been supported by BB and will start. Doyle may come into play eventually. 

20 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Kincaid has never played a down. He definitely doesn't solve the WR2 problem 

I think the "problem" has been vastly overblown by many posters here. Beane mentioned that Davis took a while coming back from the high ankle sprain to where he felt comfortable pushing off of it on certain routes and that hampered him more than he let on. IMO without that he likely has over 1000 yards receiving.

Bills fans seem to view this as a much bigger issue than Bills GM or coaches do.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My offensive guesses (pun intended)...

Harris will start over Cook.  Cook will primarily be the third-down back.  

Kincaid won't start but we will see him as the move TE, which will take away playing time from Shakir (slot receiver goes out, 2nd TE comes in).  

I like both our backup wideouts (Harty and Sherfield) and expect both to get playing time.  Maybe a little less Gabe, then.

I'd love to see Hines more involved, particularly in the passing game.  

Torrance doesn't start the season as a starter.  But he ends the season as one.

This OL has to be better than last year's (said while praying on my knees).  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.