The Battle of a lifetime: Klein, Spector, Dodson, Bernard, Williams

NewEra

Who will be our Mike?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. This is nuts

Maybe we plan on having Milano out there 💯 of the time, then have 3-4 other guys each playing 25-33% of the time depending on down and distance.  

klein on 1st and obvious running down while Williams,  Bernard and rapp getting some play on passing downs

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

IF AJ KLEIN is the Starter the middle of the defense is going to have a problem.

Ideally the starting three are (without seeing how Bernard and Spector have grown this offseason)

Milano

Dodson

Bernard

Thought on Dodson vs Minnesota?  I really don’t think he’s worthy- I hope I’m wrong 

Just now, RG Murdock said:

Williams will also be OLB insurance when Milano inevitably misses a few games. Speed and passing are king in the NFL now. I like the pick.    

But wasn’t that supposed to be Bernard? Locked in the same spot last year?  

• Sad 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I believe we will see more 3-LB sets, Beane confirmed DW is an OLB. 

So less Taron johnson or less Daquan Jones?  Maybe both?  Doesn’t seem like a good trade off other than continuously keeping the opposition guessing and confused 

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If Spector gets a little thicker, I like his chances. I don’t see why Williams can’t play there.

McDermott’s word kind of imply that Dodson is the guy. He and Klein have the most experience in the defense. 

What McDermott Demands from his MIKE.  I think the right progression in the LBer corp for non blue chip prospects is learn the Defense from the Outside, and grow into the Mike.  So it would somewhat make sense with your Rooks to start outside and come in.  SO I agree with you the starting mike as Constructed is likely out of Dodson and Klein.  with Bernard and Spector having that shot as well.  End of the day I think there could be a scheme and matchup specific LBer rotation with all of them BUT Milano (he stays on the field 100%)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m asking you what your thoughts are about Dodsons play vs the Vikings last year.

Ahhh.  

I have to go back and watch, to be able to talk specifics.  However what I will say with Dodson is when he has to come in and relieve Edmunds with an In Game Injury he has struggled.  When he has played with an entire week of practice knowing he is starting he has played well in the position.  That is telling me he is a practice player, he NEEDS the practice reps.  Some can step right in and perform fine with the limited in week work.  Watching him it seems he is ALWAYS better when he has the reps knowing he is starting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh.  

I have to go back and watch, to be able to talk specifics.  However what I will say with Dodson is when he has to come in and relieve Edmunds with an In Game Injury he has struggled.  When he has played with an entire week of practice knowing he is starting he has played well in the position.  That is telling me he is a practice player, he NEEDS the practice reps.  Some can step right in and perform fine with the limited in week work.  Watching him it seems he is ALWAYS better when he has the reps knowing he is starting. 

Very fair point if true.  Thanks

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Fans think that it’s ridiculous to use a 3rd rd pick to draft a player that has no path to start on this team for the next 3-4 years.  

Fans think that it’s a complete disaster to do this two years in a row on players that play the same exact position-  

it’s baffling. 

It could.  

Dodsons play in the 2nd vs the Vikings after 49 went out was abysmal.  If that’s what he is, we should probably just cut him now to make sure we don’t have to relive that experience.

OT - we should cut Cam Lewis now too

Fans thinking they can project a player that has just been drafted's first 3-4 years in the NFL is what's really baffling. 

Fans thinking they know the teams plans on usage of a player or how schemes and philosophy of a defense may change the instant they are drafted is baffling. 

It's almost like some fans predetermine that they are going to be miserable and complain about anything the Bills do if it doesn't fit exactly what they wanted. Baffling, right?

32 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

Williams will also be OLB insurance when Milano inevitably misses a few games. Speed and passing are king in the AFC now. I like the pick.    

Nfc teams realize they can’t compete with the AFC in the air because there’s only 1 good QB in the NFC (and that QB ran for 13 TDs).  Nfc teams look to be going more run heavy when compared to the afc. 

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh.  

I don’t think anyone should voluntarily go back and watch that game. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Fans thinking they can project a player that has just been drafted's first 3-4 years in the NFL is what's really baffling. 

Fans thinking they know the teams plans on usage of a player or how schemes and philosophy of a defense may change the instant they are drafted is baffling. 

It's almost like some fans predetermine that they are going to be miserable and complain about anything the Bills do if it doesn't fit exactly what they wanted. Baffling, right?

Except I’m not miserable. I don’t complain about much actually. Im one of the more optimistic posters on the board, but I keep it real when I think they are making a mistake.  If the FO makes a move I find questionable, I look for reasoning.   If I don’t find the reasoning adequate, I post on message boards and see what others have to say.

In this case, both bernard and williams both project to the outside, not the middle.  They were drafted on day 2 in back to back years while our best defensive player also plays outside and our GM said the plan is to keep him there.  So by Beanes word, I do know how they plan to use him- which leaves a gaping hole at the Mike.  

based on taking Bernard and Williams in consecutive years rd 3- there is plenty of reason to question wth the plan is.   It’s what people do on message boards. Seems to me that we used 2 day 2 picks on non premium position back ups/ ST players.  I’m of the opinion that we invest too much into ST units as it is.  And here we go again. 

what do you think the plan is for Bernard and Williams?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.