RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

On 5/19/2023 at 6:02 PM, without a drought said:

I thoughht people were just upset that they had a LB named Tank and they cut him.

I was upset when we didnt re-sign Bacarri Rambo...what a great name for a safety.  He had some great games for the Bills, one game he got two pick on Aaron Rodgers and another game he forced two fumbles one of which was retuned by OBD legend Duke Williams for a TD and another he recovered himself and sealed the victory with an int off of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

His nickname is Tarzan

I just thought that was pretty funny because that’s exactly what the animated character looks like huge shoulders, long arms

And l hear he looks like he plays like Tarzan and not like Jane.

It's a bit of a stretch, but my fraternity brother's daughter dates someone on the Tulane football team.  My buddy recently asked me for Buffalo food tips to pass along to his daughter and derivatively to Dorian - Fun connection!  Go Bills!!  PS, I said he should go to Duffs on Sheridan Dr

Edited by TheWei44

On 5/19/2023 at 2:23 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, a few quarters of play and 1 game (out of 18 played) aren't "spot duty"? We must have different definitions lol. 

To your point, I agree that the coaches were able to see that he wasn't ready for primetime last year. The said as much after drafting the kid as well. They knew he would need time. He's now had a full season, a complete off season where coach said he was in town learning the whole off-season (along with Spector) and will have a 2nd TC. Should be a better chance to see if he took steps forward IMO.

I always try to give young players the benefit of the doubt, but I am having a very difficult time seeing how Bernard can be a NFL LB with his small stature.  I was hopeful that he would bulk up this offseason like Matt Milano did over his first offseason, but photos from OTAs still suggest that he is very small compared to the other backers on the roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not holding out hope for Bernard (hope I'm wrong) but I have some optimism about Dorian.

Maybe it's homerism but I think this could be the best top-3 picks of the Beane tenure (outside of drafting Josh, of course; I'm talking the three picks as a group).

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I always try to give young players the benefit of the doubt, but I am having a very difficult time seeing how Bernard can be a NFL LB with his small stature.  I was hopeful that he would bulk up this offseason like Matt Milano did over his first offseason, but photos from OTAs still suggest that he is very small compared to the other backers on the roster.  

If there is a saving grace for Bernard it's that the days of that 250lb thumper of a LBer are gone. Smaller, faster and more athletic is the fresh wave. Teams need these guys to be able to cover slot guys, RBs and fly around the field a bit thanks to the way the offense has trended to lighter/faster skill position guys. 

It's his instincts as a rookie that I would love to see improvement on. Size wise, sure he's a bit smaller but he's really not that far off of the average NFL LBer these days. I feel like if he can play without hesitation he could be a really nice piece eventually.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, John from Riverside said:

His nickname is Tarzan

I just thought that was pretty funny because that’s exactly what the animated character looks like huge shoulders, long arms

Ohh boy! I hope he doesn’t break up with Jane. We’ll NEVER hear the end of it! 

On 5/25/2023 at 11:34 PM, Doc said:

Not sure if mentioned elsewhere but Williams has been working at MLB.

Watching him in College I can see how McD is going to be tempted to use him a lot beside Milano. And that's not going to come without some risk...But his speed and ability to disrupt if he's kept clean is significant. I don't see anyone else on this roster, including Bernard, who brings that element. So I think he's going to play. And we'll see... :flirt:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Smaller, faster and more athletic is the fresh wave.

Yeah, but Bernard is smaller, slower, and less athletic than the guy he's supposed to replace. Quite an upgrade!

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, finn said:

Yeah, but Bernard is smaller, slower, and less athletic than the guy he's supposed to replace. Quite an upgrade!

You took 1 line out of context. 

Nowhere did I say he was an upgrade. Nowhere did I say he way a replacement. My statement reflects that there is a place for someone of his size and skillset in the modern NFL game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.