RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

I know this probably isn't worth much since its a "friend of a friend" type of thing but I spoke with a good buddy of mine last night who works at ESPN, most notably on College Gameday. 

This friend is not a Bills fan at all (he once had a full beer can chucked at him at a tailgate a few years back since he was wearing enemy colors) but went out of his way to heap praise on Dorian Williams of all people when we were talking about the draft.  Said he had a chance to cover a lot of Tulane games and Williams always stood out not only on the field with his play but off the field where he was rallying his teammates and going over plays with underclassmen on the sidelines.  My friend was convinced he was going to work his way into the Bills starting lineup by the end of the year just on his tenacity alone.

Like I said, I know it probably doesn't mean much but interesting to hear from someone who works in college football coverage have such unprompted high praise for Williams. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Two things I found encouraging and worth mentioning, after diving into this pick a little deeper:

(1) On-Field Production

Williams' on-field production was incredible last year (as well as prior years).  Comparing the 4 LBs taken within 7 picks of each other in the 3rd round, Williams led all players in tackles, solo tackles, sacks, pass deflections, and interceptions. 

• Daiyan Henley (#85): 106 tackles, 54 solo, 4 sacks, 1 pass deflection, 3 forced fumbles, 1 int
  • Trenton Simpson (#86): 73 tackles, 41 solo, 2.5 sacks, 3 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles, 0 int
  • DeMarvion Overshown (#90): 95 tackles, 49 solo, 4 sacks, 5 pass deflections, 0 forced fumbles, 0 int
  • Dorian Williams (#91): 131 tackles (9th in the country), 81 solo (3rd in the country), 5 sacks, 7 pass deflections (t-5th in country for LBs), 2 forced fumbles, 2 int

I understand there is a difference in level of competition between some of these players (and that stats do not really tell the full story), but I think Williams' production is still relevant and not being mentioned enough.  

(2) Age 

Williams entered college early, so even though he was a senior and played 4 years at Tulane, he is only 21 years old (DOB: 6-28-2001) and is the same age as the underclassmen who entered the draft.  Williams is 1 year younger than Overshown and Campbell, 1 1/2 years younger than Sanders, and 2 years younger than Henley.  Simpson, an early-entry junior, is only 2 weeks younger than Williams....I know the "age" factor was beaten to death with Tremaine Edmunds, but Williams' 4-years of college experience + younger age/potential upside, is a intriguing combo.     

While his size (-) and his plus-athleticism - 4.49 forty, 1.54 10-yard split, 8.82 RAS - have garnered much of the attention on here, I think his on-field production, in conjunction with his young age, should not be overlooked as well...I'm cautiously optimistic about this pick, and more encouraged about it than I was last week Friday after a little more digging.        

Edited by jsh1031
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

44 minutes ago, jsh1031 said:

Two things I found encouraging and worth mentioning, after diving into this pick a little deeper:

(1) On-Field Production

Williams' on-field production was incredible last year (as well as prior years).  Comparing the 4 LBs taken within 7 picks of each other in the 3rd round, Williams led all players in tackles, solo tackles, sacks, pass deflections, and interceptions. 

• Daiyan Henley (#85): 106 tackles, 54 solo, 4 sacks, 1 pass deflection, 3 forced fumbles, 1 int
  • Trenton Simpson (#86): 73 tackles, 41 solo, 2.5 sacks, 3 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles, 0 int
  • DeMarvion Overshown (#90): 95 tackles, 49 solo, 4 sacks, 5 pass deflections, 0 forced fumbles, 0 int
  • Dorian Williams (#91): 131 tackles (9th in the country), 81 solo (3rd in the country), 5 sacks, 7 pass deflections (t-5th in country for LBs), 2 forced fumbles, 2 int

I understand there is a difference in level of competition between some of these players (and that stats do not really tell the full story), but I think Williams' production is still relevant and not being mentioned enough.  

(2) Age 

Williams entered college early, so even though he was a senior and played 4 years at Tulane, he is only 21 years old (DOB: 6-28-2001) and is the same age as the underclassmen who entered the draft.  Williams is 1 year younger than Overshown and Campbell, 1 1/2 years younger than Sanders, and 2 years younger than Henley.  Simpson, an early-entry junior, is only 2 weeks younger than Williams....I know the "age" factor was beaten to death with Tremaine Edmunds, but Williams' 4-years of college experience + younger age/potential upside, is a intriguing combo.     

While his size (-) and his plus-athleticism - 4.49 forty, 1.54 10-yard split, 8.82 RAS - have garnered much of the attention on here, I think his on-field production, in conjunction with his young age, should not be overlooked as well...I'm cautiously optimistic about this pick, and more encouraged about it than I was last week Friday after a little more digging.        

I know it was a running joke about Edmund's age always meaning he had upside but I think in the case of weight, a 21-year-old has more ability to pack on 7 or 8 pounds of muscle than maybe a 23-year-old.

He may or may not pan out as a starter but let's not burn down 1 Bills Drive yet...

55 minutes ago, jsh1031 said:

(1) On-Field Production

I understand there is a difference in level of competition between some of these players, but I think Williams' production is not being mentioned enough.  He essentially doubled Simpson's on-field production.

(2) Age 

Good analysis.   His productivity speaks for itself.  Williams has several characteristics the Bills under Brandon Beane seem to crave,  younger, athletic players with large wingspans that tend to be a project.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jsh1031 said:

… While his size (-) and his plus-athleticism - 4.49 forty, 1.54 10-yard split, 8.82 RAS - have garnered much of the attention on here, I think his on-field production, in conjunction with his young age, should not be overlooked as well...I'm cautiously optimistic about this pick, and more encouraged about it than I was last week Friday after a little more digging.        

Scouts and other talent evaluators place a high priority on production, perhaps the highest priority, especially when it matches the athleticism. Like you, I hadn’t had a chance to watch much video of Williams, but the little I’ve seen tells me why Beane and Co. liked him. He is not Terrell Bernard 2.0 by any stretch. He’s much more physical for starters and seems to have a more instinctive feel for the game. I won’t be surprised if he turns out to be one of the steals in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

It seems he could eventually take over at MLB. In addition to not overwhelming him with two positions I think it’s how the Bills do things. McBeane said they would give current roster players a shot at the position. If they impress and win that’s good. If they don’t win it he’s in position to potentially grab it. Just my thoughts. 

On 5/4/2023 at 4:07 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bills list him 6’2” 230.

Hes officially bigger

Well, when you get to Buffalo and you hit one of those wing joints…

Until I see otherwise Baylen Spector has a chance at that spot

But I eventually expect Dorian Williams to take it everywhere I have looked, including my own eyeballs, says that this guy is a player

If Jerry Ostrosky likes you, I’m listening

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dude runs 4.49. Not enough talk about that.

And with his freakishly long arms for a man of his height (just a half inch shorter than Edmunds) he might be very good in pass coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Just a thought- what if this guy turns into a dominant strong safety! 🤔

Either way, as long as he works out, I’m down…👍

That is a modern day mike.  

24 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

With pick 91, the Bills could have drafted:

OT Wanya Morris
DT Brodic Martin
NT Siaka Ika 
OT Nick Saldiveri
CB Kelee Ringo

Let's see in 2 years who is the better NFL player.

None of them were starting either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, jsh1031 said:

(1) On-Field Production

(2) Age 

See, now you're effed.

Good luck living up to this early performance moving forward. 

It's like any new relationship/job/social circle: pace yourself early on; don't be afraid to sandbag some Ws. 

Otherwise the expectations get ALL out of whack.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

That is a modern day mike.  

None of them were starting either.

Ika might get a chance to start

I mean the Poona Ford acquisition totally makes me forgive not giving a defensive tackle in the draft this year. That guy is a real player. Otherwise, I really liked ika

I still think there’s a chance the Dorian Williams ends up, turning out better than any of those players listed

20 hours ago, jsh1031 said:

(1) On-Field Production

(2) Age 

Well done

11 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

With pick 91, the Bills could have drafted:

OT Wanya Morris
DT Brodic Martin
NT Siaka Ika 
OT Nick Saldiveri
CB Kelee Ringo

Let's see in 2 years who is the better NFL player.

So the Bills could’ve had the dude from Boyz to Men? I honestly have no idea if you’re being serious or sarcastic with this

23 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So the Bills could’ve had the dude from Boyz to Men? I honestly have no idea if you’re being serious or sarcastic with this

Sounds like he thought they were better picks than Williams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.