RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

3 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

I like everything I’m hearing from this kid who seems way more mature than his age. I think by seasons end he will be entrenched as our starting MLB . 

If he has a good camp, I think McD will start him game one.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

It used to be the prototype , but the game has changed. It would be invaluable if some teams ever went old-school with a power running game though.

I think defense (and probably offense too) in the NFL generally is trending toward "positionless" players or at least those with versatility. 

Same for Buffalo:

- DE Rousseau can shift inside to DT

- DE Miller can play like and is sometimes listed as a LB

- "MLB" Bernard is more of a WLB

- "MLB" Williams is more of a WLB (and in this thread a S)

- OLB Milano was a S

- CB Benford might be a S

- S Rapp has been and likely will continue to be used as NCB, Big Nickel, and edge blitzer

- S Hyde albeit in college mostly has been used as a CB (plus QB and KR/PR)

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m telling you, don’t be surprised if he turns into an all pro strong safety…he’s got the speed, power and hands…👍

I'll be very surprised if he plays so much as a single down as a safety in the NFL.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My man does work them shoulders. 

Yes he does.

His weight is non-issue to me.

He’s the exact same build as Roquan - only 5 - 8 lbs lighter.  

He can put 5 on by camp and be a MLB in this league at 235.  No doubt in my mind.   

Fred Warner is 6’3 and 229.  What are we even worried about here.   

The 245 LB MLB days are over.   

More then I was on draft day I’m near 100% convinced he’ll be the Mike they just need him to earn it.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He can put 5 on by camp and be a MLB in this league at 235.  No doubt in my mind.   

More then I was on draft day I’m near 100% convinced he’ll be the Mike they just need him to earn it.   

Let’s face it, Tremaine Edmunds was a freak of nature, physically wise

And while I think Edmunds is a good player, he doesn’t hit like a 245 pound linebacker never did

Dorian Williams is not small by NFL standards and what doesn’t get talked about enough is those freakishly long arms of his

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Let’s face it, Tremaine Edmunds was a freak of nature, physically wise

And while I think Edmunds is a good player, he doesn’t hit like a 245 pound linebacker never did

Dorian Williams is not small by NFL standards and what doesn’t get talked about enough is those freakishly long arms of his

He uses those arms in interesting way. HE grabs a body part to do a tackle, and he whips his whole body around while still holding on. With those long arms, it is kind of a sling shot effect. We have not had that guy that knocks down passes a ton on this defense in a long time... he will do well for that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think defense (and probably offense too) in the NFL generally is trending toward "positionless" players or at least those with versatility. 

Same for Buffalo:

- OLB Milano was a S

- S Rapp has been and likely will continue to be used as NCB, Big Nickel, and edge blitzer

I would agree with the general concept here.  You can certainly add in TE/WR and our own Dalton Kincaid.

I hate to bring in the evil overlord Bill Belichek but he was one pf the first to preach "versatility" of his players and being able to play different positions. One could even stretch the concept that the position of QB morphing is into a QB/RB.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Same for Buffalo:

- OLB Milano was a S

Hyde was used as a jack of all trades type in GB. Lot of nickel CB , sometimes outside even and some S. For McD to bring him in as a full time FS just shows how great he is at bringing along DBs and taking them to next level.  Hyde even said he wasn't sure about playing "center field" because he rarely did in GB but boy was that a phenomenal move 

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

He uses those arms in interesting way. HE grabs a body part to do a tackle, and he whips his whole body around while still holding on. With those long arms, it is kind of a sling shot effect. We have not had that guy that knocks down passes a ton on this defense in a long time... he will do well for that. 

Ya and I been saying,  the thing I'm most impressed and excited about by him is his instincts,  which was Edmunds biggest weakness imo. I'm really excited about Williams 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Hyde was used as a jack of all trades type in GB. Lot of nickel CB , sometimes outside even and some S. For McD to bring him in as a full time FS just shows how great he is at bringing along DBs and taking them to next level.  Hyde even said he wasn't sure about playing "center field" because he rarely did in GB but boy was that a phenomenal move 

Ya and I been saying,  the thing I'm most impressed and excited about by him is his instincts,  which was Edmunds biggest weakness imo. I'm really excited about Williams 

Very eager to see how Edmunds does this year.   My prediction another mediocre year.   He had all the physical tools (esp length which the Bills covet) but lacked the instincts of which Williams has great instincts and speed to react.  Curious to see who had the higher Wonderlic, my money is on Williams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, boyst said:

I really hope I eat crow on this dude. I can't believe how everyone is full kool aid on this guy but if Miami, Tennessee, or Houston got him we wouldn't even know he existed now or 5 years from now. 

This is always true with mid-late round picks. For every Matt Milano or Dre Greenlaw there is a Vosean Joseph. I remember when Miami drafted Jerome Baker thinking that he would turn into something and he has become a solid pro. Some 49ers fan probably said the same stuff when they drafted Warner, and many Bills fans were hyped about Reggie Ragland. 

None of any of this past history has anything to do with whether or not Williams will be a success. Some of us are just fans and like to root for players. I am excited to see what Trenton Simpson does in Baltimore almost as much as I am excited about Dorian Williams for us. Nothing wrong with any of this discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, boyst said:

I really hope I eat crow on this dude. I can't believe how everyone is full kool aid on this guy but if Miami, Tennessee, or Houston got him we wouldn't even know he existed now or 5 years from now. 

He’s a late 3rd round pick to me, 4th round graded prospect. What should we expect from him? 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Very eager to see how Edmunds does this year.   My prediction another mediocre year.   He had all the physical tools (esp length which the Bills covet) but lacked the instincts of which Williams has great instincts and speed to react.  Curious to see who had the higher Wonderlic, my money is on Williams.

Yeah Tremaine is going into a system that is very similar to ours. He is going to be asked to run and cover. Bears fans probably expect the splash plays for the price tag, and when they don't get them, he will be their message board whipping boy. I think he is released after year 3. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s a late 3rd round pick to me, 4th round graded prospect. What should we expect from him? 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is always true with mid-late round picks. For every Matt Milano or Dre Greenlaw there is a Vosean Joseph. I remember when Miami drafted Jerome Baker thinking that he would turn into something and he has become a solid pro. Some 49ers fan probably said the same stuff when they drafted Warner, and many Bills fans were hyped about Reggie Ragland. 

None of any of this past history has anything to do with whether or not Williams will be a success. Some of us are just fans and like to root for players. I am excited to see what Trenton Simpson does in Baltimore almost as much as I am excited about Dorian Williams for us. Nothing wrong with any of this discussion. 

The way everyone is talking he will be a starter day 1!!!🤣

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I would agree with the general concept here.  You can certainly add in TE/WR and our own Dalton Kincaid.

I hate to bring in the evil overlord Bill Belichek but he was one pf the first to preach "versatility" of his players and being able to play different positions. One could even stretch the concept that the position of QB morphing is into a QB/RB.

Yep, and I think it boils down to allowing coaches on both sides of the ball to better disguise their calls. 

Anytime a coach sees an opposing player on the field who could do a variety of different things post-snap, it creates an amount of uncertainty for that coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Yep, and I think it boils down to allowing coaches on both sides of the ball to better disguise their calls. 

Anytime a coach sees an opposing player on the field who could do a variety of different things post-snap, it creates an amount of uncertainty for that coach. 

The more I think about it, in 20 years , the day of a statue pocket QB may be long gone.   I think 10 years ago what 10% of QBs could effectively run, what is it now, 30%?  One more person for the defense to account for.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2023 at 11:06 PM, Big Blitz said:

More than I was on draft day I’m near 100% convinced he’ll be the Mike they just need him to earn it.   

Probably been said a million times in this thread, but Nick Bolton with the Chiefs is another good size comp. 6’0 237 and he does just fine. Also, he’s slower at 4.6 forty and shorter arms at 31 7/8 (and wingspan of 76 1/4) than DW. 

Admittedly, I knee-jerk hated this pick initially with the Bernard pick last year and the backup to Milano and special teams comments. But I’ve since calmed down and really like his potential with further context. Can’t dislike him just because of the Bernard pick last year. Have to evaluate him individually. I think he’ll get an opportunity to start at the Mike at some point if he can pick up the playbook. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.