RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

59 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The amount of people on here who WANT this to be a bad pick “so they can be right” is really disappointing 

He’s a late 3rd round pick. He was drafted right about where he should’ve been. Bills didn’t reach.

Now they must develop him. Not sure why anyone would bash the pick? He’s fast and athletic. I wouldn’t expect much early in his career.

I preferred others but they weren’t on the board when the Bills picked.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So I should’ve just accepted the pick and moved on but I had to know what we’re getting.

😬

It's a tough play. He is forced to play outside-in the way he is lined up. For a guy who is usually in the box playing inside out, it's a very different angle vs the player who won the Heisman trophy and will be the #1 pick in the draft next year. He simply lost his leverage, which is going to happen sometimes. This one doesn't bother me. Josh Allen does this to all pros regularly because they lose their leverage. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s a late 3rd round pick. He was drafted right about where he should’ve been. Bills didn’t reach.

Now they must develop him. Not sure why anyone would bash the pick? He’s fast and athletic. I wouldn’t expect much early in his career.

I actually like the pick in a vacuum.  He looks like a future MLB here - whether that happens this year, we'll see.  Fast, violent, with freakishly long arms.  

The reason why people hate this pick, is in large part due to the Bernard pick last year.  If one of these two step up and lock down the MLB spot, while the other provides solid depth, you'll see minds change pretty quickly.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Didn't Klien fill in and they won those games?

It quickly became apparent that Klein couldn’t handle the coverage aspect of the job, so they kept him closer to the LOS and used him to blitz (somewhat effectively) as I recall. If we won, it certainly wasn’t because of Klein. But they did improve how they used him, again, as I recall. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I actually like the pick in a vacuum.  He looks like a future MLB here - whether that happens this year, we'll see.  Fast, violent, with freakishly long arms.  

The reason why people hate this pick, is in large part due to the Bernard pick last year.  If one of these two step up and lock down the MLB spot, while the other provides solid depth, you'll see minds change pretty quickly.  

Interesting comment about Bernard, and I agree.  My first reaction to the pick was, "Again?"   But I don't think we know yet what Bernard will be, and I'm starting to think we may see a lot of him this season. 

As for Williams, I finally watched some highlight videos of him, and one thing that stood out to me is that he attacks and closes like Milano.  Edmunds didn't attack, which was why he wasn't an effective blitzer.   He always seemed to have a containment mentality - he'd hold up ball carriers, waiting for help to arrive.  That's a good thing to do, but you have to hit the guy first, then hold on.   Edmunds never mastered the hitting part.  

I'm encouraged.   And as I've said elsewhere, it seems that what McBeane are doing is looking at a defense with three layers:  A d-line that can get pressure with four and not get gashed by the run, a d-backfield that can blanket the field, and a middle layer that is fast, tough, and quick.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Either way we needed LB depth added the last 2 years. A 3rd is a good way to add depth. Hopefully they both develop into starters.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Augie said:

It quickly became apparent that Klein couldn’t handle the coverage aspect of the job, so they kept him closer to the LOS and used to to blitz (somewhat effectively) as I recall. If we won, it certainly wasn’t because of Klein. But they did improve how they used him, again, as I recall. 

That's what I saw, too.   He was surprisingly effective, given his limitations.  He was a good example of McDermott putting people on the field in positions where they can succeed, rather than asking them to do things they aren't physically suited to. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I still think we’ve never replaced that Lorenzo Alexander role from year one of McDermott.  That guy who could line up off the ball or his hand in the dirt.  He was very strong against the run, a solid blitzer and good enough in coverage that you didn’t know what he was doing pre snap.  I’m excited to see what the plan is for these young backers. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I lot of people also hate this pick because he didnt go to a football powerhouse, pretty much anyone from Tulane is going to be dismissed by most Bill fans.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He's a very good prospect. It just shows a lack of knowledge on the casual fans part to judge a guy based on twitter rants, media etc. without every seeing the guy take an actual snap. The snap judgement and comparison to Bernard is lazy because their measurables are a like but that's about the only thing they have in common. Williams is a much better prospect than Bernard. 

I loved Williams and in my day 2 mock actually had him going 83rd so I think the Bills got decent value on the pick and took him right around where I expected him to go. 

I was guilty of a making a bad snap judgement.  Once I heard Beane say that he’d be playing behind Milano outside- I just couldn’t have been more confused.  Not so much about this particular pick, but the combination of Bernard and Williams.  I hated the fact that they burned 2 3rd round picks on LBs.  One of which is destined for ST and depth for the next 2-3 years while we have Milano.  Tbh- they both may end a ST/depth players as Spector may take the job and run.  

I like Williams but I think his selection just reinforces my initial thought that Bernard was an awful pick.  I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he’ll ever be more than ST/depth.  

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Agree that he probably will at some point.  Giving the D to him right out of the gate for a SB hopeful team might not be the right move.

Camp is going to be so interesting but when it comes to who starts the season at MLB, I'm not too worried as of right now.

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I was guilty of a making a bad snap judgement.  Once I heard Beane say that he’d be playing behind Milano outside- I just couldn’t have been more confused.  Not so much about this particular pick, but the combination of Bernard and Williams.  I hated the fact that they burned 2 3rd round picks on LBs.  One of which is destined for ST and depth for the next 2-3 years while we have Milano.  Tbh- they both may end a ST/depth players as Spector may take the job and run.  

I like Williams but I think his selection just reinforces my initial thought that Bernard was an awful pick.  I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he’ll ever be more than ST/depth.  

I agree with you on that point. Its funny because last year I crapped all over the Bernard pick saying he was a 6th round prospect and I got was vitriol and eye roll emojis. This year I loved the Williams pick and got vitriol and eye roll emojis after the pick was made.  Bernard will end up being the guy that will be ST's or out of the league in 5 years not Williams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I agree with you on that point. Its funny because last year I crapped all over the Bernard pick saying he was a 6th round prospect and I got was vitriol and eye roll emojis. This year I loved the Williams pick and got vitriol and eye roll emojis after the pick was made.  Bernard will end up being the guy that will be ST's or out of the league in 5 years not Williams. 

Agreee.  I think Williams can be a legit starter at either mike or outside.  He just needs to hit the books to improve his processing because his instincts were looked to be below average considering his snap count over his college career.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agree.  I think Williams can be a legit starter at either mike or outside.  He just needs to hit the books to improve his processing because his instincts were looked to be below average considering his snap count over his college career.  

I wouldn't be so quick to send Bernard to the dumpster.  You say you have doubts about Williams's instincts.  Well, McDermott didn't have doubts about Bernard's instincts.   

I really think we have to wait and see.  Nobody ever raved over Frazier's creativity, but McDermott is a different guy.   From the perspective of casual fans like us, he has a hole in the middle.   I doubt he believes he has a hole.  He has answer, and if his answer doesn't work, he has another answer.  He's going to put these guys on the field soon, and he's going to see what they have.   Bernard, Spector, Williams, Bernard.  Someone is going to play, and there's a good chance that he actually wins the job, as opposed to getting it because everyone else failed. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to send Bernard to the dumpster.  You say you have doubts about Williams's instincts.  Well, McDermott didn't have doubts about Bernard's instincts.   

I really think we have to wait and see.  Nobody ever raved over Frazier's creativity, but McDermott is a different guy.   From the perspective of casual fans like us, he has a hole in the middle.   I doubt he believes he has a hole.  He has answer, and if his answer doesn't work, he has another answer.  He's going to put these guys on the field soon, and he's going to see what they have.   Bernard, Spector, Williams, Bernard.  Someone is going to play, and there's a good chance that he actually wins the job, as opposed to getting it because everyone else failed. 

Just stating my opinion.  Not saying he’s going to be a bum, but that’s just my predictions.  I hope I’m wrong 

McB also loved what they saw in Epenesa, Basham, Oliver, Ford, Spencer Brown and Moss.  Just saying.  There’s still time, but that’s 6 players drafted in top 3 rounds that haven’t played to their draft slot.  

Just seems like Bernard is too weak and his strength upside is bleak. 

you’re right though, McD most likely has a plan and good track record.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I understand what you are saying but imo, the Williams pick has zero to do with the Bernard pick.  To me it is the same type of logic that you can't pick a USC or Ohio State QB can they can be busts, i think you have to take them player by player.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I understand what you are saying but imo, the Williams pick has zero to do with the Bernard pick.  To me it is the same type of logic that you can't pick a USC or Ohio State QB can they can be busts, i think you have to take them player by player.

I think you have this misconstrued.   

The way the LBs are related:  they wouldn’t have taken Williams if they thought bernard could play Mike.  But he was pretty bad.  Played, then benched.   If they are in no way related, bernard (or Williams) was drafted to be Milanos backup and not the Mike.  But that’s not the case.  They’re both vying for the same starting Mike spot.  Only bernard (imo) has very little/no chance to every start opposite Milano in a nickel.  

If McD is planning on playing more 4-3 - drafting both makes some sense.  I don’t believe that Dorian was the BPA when he was taken.  He was taken with hopes that he would fill a need.  It’s only a need because Bernard showed next to nothing.  I don’t believe Bernard was drafted to play ST and be Milanos backup for 4 years. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Some may be transferring their angst about not solving the MLB gap post Edmunds.

key position (my opinion ) with a player who needs to develop. Or one who has a fairly low perceived low ceiling already on the roster.

I might be one of those people  LOL

6 hours ago, Augie said:

It quickly became apparent that Klein couldn’t handle the coverage aspect of the job, so they kept him closer to the LOS and used to to blitz (somewhat effectively) as I recall. If we won, it certainly wasn’t because of Klein. But they did improve how they used him, again, as I recall. 

your right. so he bumped Kelce at the line that one game, then went at the QB and RB and then the S or a C took over coverage. He is a physical box guy not a cover guy. its now we did it that was successful When Milano was out.   I called it When I was on with Akeem on a life podcast with him that, Kelse would get bumped and released after 5 and then a S or or corner would take out. I was Right and THEN he posted my clip saying it on facebook.

Just because a dude is bad in coverage does not mean you can not use that dude the same way and scheme coverage different. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.