RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

15 minutes ago, daz28 said:

You've got to billieve that BB expects a guy like Bernard or Williams to be able to be on the field at the same time as Milano, or he wouldn't be drafting them in the 3rd.  

I definitely believe he expects that. The million dollar question is will he turn out to be correct? And the natural follow-up question is what is plan B?

I generally trust Beane, so this is a leap of faith. Things got rocky when Tremaine was out with injury. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

I’m willing to admit I may have overreacted with my initial reaction to Williams. The more I learn about this guy, the more I like him. Taken out of context, that special teams comment from the reporters on Twitter sounded worse than it was. Sounds like if this guy can come pick things up quickly, he may be given a shot at the Mike. But he’s going to have to earn it. Which I can appreciate. Yeah, he’s small weight wise, but love his timed and game speed as well as his tackling. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I definitely believe he expects that. The million dollar question is will he turn out to be correct? And the natural follow-up question is what is plan B?

I generally trust Beane, so this is a leap of faith. Things got rocky when Tremaine was out with injury. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

I think Williams is exhibit A on him realizing Bernard was a strike out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, balln said:

I think Williams is exhibit A on him realizing Bernard was a strike out 

Could be. We all make mistakes. The Cardinals took wrong Josh, but they owned it and moved on. Every team has their misses. 

• Like (+1) 1

Greg Cosell really likes Williams. Says he plays bigger than his weight at the combine(228), where as Bernard he says, actually plays smaller than his weight. Says he's tough, physical, hard hitting LBer, with long arms to shed blockers.

Also sounded shocked that Alex Austin didn't get drafted until the 7th. He said there's no difference in Austin's play vs any DB taken in the 4th round. Some good tidbits on the draft picks and some time also spent talking about Ford's signing. 

EDIT: This is the wrong video. This is the one from Friday discussing the Kincaid pick. I won't delete it, in case someone wants to watch it. See the very next post for the correct video.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Greg Cosell really likes Williams. Says he plays bigger than his weight at the combine(228), where as Bernard he says, actually plays smaller than his weight. Says he's tough, physical, hard hitting LBer, with long arms to shed blockers.

Also sounded shocked that Alex Austin didn't get drafted until the 7th. He said there's no difference in Austin's play vs any DB taken in the 4th round. Some good tidbits on the draft picks and some time also spent talking about Ford's signing. 

Crap. Posted the wrong video. Just a reminder....Don't do drugs.😂

The video starts towards the end of the interview, so make sure you go back to the beginning before watching.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So I should’ve just accepted the pick and moved on. but I to know.

Yes, as all intelligent people know you should always judge a player by a single play.

You are wise beyond description.

BTW, what does "but I to know" mean?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes, as all intelligent people know you should always judge a player by a single play.

You are wise beyond description.

BTW, what does "but I to know" mean?

Actually just started watching him. This was on the first drive of the USC game I’m watching. Had to post it. People don’t like to post the negative, but it’s all part of it.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Actually just started watching him. This was on the first drive of the USC game I’m watching. Had to post it. People don’t like to post the negative, but it’s all part of it.

Does that mean you're going to post 40 more individual plays to achieve a valid sample size?

And you still haven't answered the question... what does "but I to know" mean?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Does that mean you're going to post 40 more individual plays to achieve a valid sample size?

And you still haven't answered the question... what does "but I to know" mean?

If the play stands out, sure. He made a nice open field tackle on the TE. Then was kind of caught in no man’s land on the TD run by the RB. I won’t put that on the LB. Could’ve drove a truck through that hole.

It was a typo, it happens. Just like the whiff on that video, it happens. Milano had a few whiffs last year. Don’t get triggered by my post. Obviously one play doesn’t form an opinion. 

One thing from the 1st half vs USC is he tends to get lost in traffic IMO, but USC OL was getting hands on him so understandable. If he hits you, you go down. Also he was going for the ball a lot, a few plays he was trying to rip it out in the scrum.

2nd half was more of the same, but had a nice stop for no gain when USC was pinned on their goal line. Next play was a huge safety. Seemed to play tentative, probably due to facing Caleb Williams. Similar stuff from Tremaine Edmunds in Buffalo. Kind of let the play come to him rather than instinctively attacking the play. USC OL was all over him 99% of the game. Thought he disengaged from the block better in the 2nd half on a couple plays.

It was only one game vs the best QB in college football. He played very under control, somewhat tentative. Like I mentioned similar to what we saw from  Tremaine Edmunds. Not much bad or good stands out other than the whiff on Caleb Williams and USC OL getting hands on him. 3 good stops, 2 in run game and 1 vs pass.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

How do you know its the month of May?

Birds are chirping

Grass is getting green

Leaves are sprouting

TBD Armchair GM Draft Gurus start rolling back their over reaction hot takes faster than a bank robber reversing out of the parking lot

• Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Didn't Klien fill in and they won those games?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The amount of people on here who WANT this to be a bad pick “so they can be right” is really disappointing 

He's a very good prospect. It just shows a lack of knowledge on the casual fans part to judge a guy based on twitter rants, media etc. without every seeing the guy take an actual snap. The snap judgement and comparison to Bernard is lazy because their measurables are a like but that's about the only thing they have in common. Williams is a much better prospect than Bernard. 

I loved Williams and in my day 2 mock actually had him going 83rd so I think the Bills got decent value on the pick and took him right around where I expected him to go. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So I should’ve just accepted the pick and moved on but I had to know what we’re getting.

😬

That is an interesting play, despite the RB getting past him with the spin move he recovers and looks to be in position to make the stop well short of the first down still, that's not bad.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

That is an interesting play, despite the RB getting past him with the spin move he recovers and looks to be in position to make the stop well short of the first down still, that's not bad.

That’s the QB, not RB. It’s pretty bad. But it’s one play.  He was under control for the most part the rest of the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.