RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

Let’s not forget ….

Milano is small with limited speed, making him a liability against NFL blockers and when matched up in coverage against tight ends. He's a fit only for the 4-3 scheme, and he'll have to play in a "Sam" role. With a narrow frame, it's possible Milano is maxed out physically and wouldn't be able to add the bulk to better handle blockers and make plays in traffic. A lack of twitch in his game makes Milano a gamble outside of the later rounds of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

i think it's pretty clear w mcd taking over the d and the success we've had w milano he wanted an athletic heat seeking missile who he could coach up.

when it's at it's best, the mcd d is always guys just screaming toward the ball borderline over playing their lanes and the back 4-6 erasing long stuff but attacking quickly when they recognize what is in front of them.  

this guy might bust out or not, but he'll learn under mc d directly, and milano always plays like his hair is on fire, so Williams won't be confused as to what his play style will be.  I think he might be an effective starter by the end of the season.  that's a huge win vs paying edmunds nearly 20mm a year.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Success said:

Just curious - does anyone think we would have taken Overshown if Dallas hadn't picked him?

I know zilch about the college game & players, so wondering if these 2 were rated much differently.

I think if the Bills felt strongly about any of the LBs taken in the 3rd they would’ve traded up for him. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He definitely not small for todays game. He’s not big. His size won’t hold him back

It’ll come down to instincts.

Also, very few linebackers can overcome poor play by the d-line in front of them.

In order for most LBs to have success, they need to be protected from blockers.

In the present day linebackers have never been smaller and offensive linemen have never been larger.

Regarding LB size, it used to be Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff, Ray Nietschke, Dick Butkus, Willie Lanier, Tommy Nobis, ad infinitum were as big as the o-linemen who were blocking them. That was back when Lombardi's "Run to Daylight" was the blueprint for NFL success.

In today's pass-crazy NFL, Tremaine Edmunds is an outlyer as was Ray Lewis. It's rare to see a 250 lb LB anymore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Also, very few linebackers can overcome poor play by the d-line in front of them.

In order for most LBs to have success, they need to be protected from blockers.

In the present day linebackers have never been smaller and offensive linemen have never been larger.

Regarding LB size, it used to be Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff, Ray Nietschke, Dick Butkus, Willie Lanier, Tommy Nobis, ad infinitum were as big as the o-linemen who were blocking them. That was back when Lombardi's "Run to Daylight" was the blueprint for NFL success.

In today's pass-crazy NFL, Tremaine Edmunds is an outlyer as was Ray Lewis. It's rare to see a 250 lb LB anymore.

Yep. The talk should probably be about DL more than about 5-10 lbs on a MLB.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yep. The talk should probably be about DL more than about 5-10 lbs on a MLB.

Beane is on record as saying Dorian the newest Williams will start on the outside. Do we not believe him? Do we think that won’t last long? Klein is very limited in coverage and would get picked on unless we scheme to protect him (as I think we adjusted to last year when he was forced to play). I still don’t know who the MLB will be replacing Tremaine. I doubt we change our scheme much, maybe just get a little more aggressive in implementation. So who is the next MLB? 

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

Beane is on record as saying Dorian the newest Williams will start on the outside. Do we not believe him? Do we think that won’t last long? Klein is very limited in coverage and would get picked on unless we scheme to protect him (as I think we adjusted to last year when he was forced to play). I still don’t know who the MLB will be replacing Tremaine. I doubt we change our scheme much, maybe just get a little more aggressive in implementation. So who is the next MLB? 

Who knows, it’s May 1st.

Did you ever feel like Edmunds size was a factor in the run game? It was his size and length in the pass game that was talked about.

Im not even concerned at all about LB size defending the run, especially when we had slot CBs taking on OL in the past. It’s really a non factor for me.

What they are probably planning is matching personnel more. Meaning putting a more physical LB on the field vs obvious run personnel and going lighter vs pass personnel.

29 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I went back and looked at my spreadsheet big board for us and I see that I had him as a mid round pick potentially for us.

So I'm upset with myself for being upset haha 

So you’re upset you were right? I honestly didn’t look at many mid-late LBs because I felt they’d get one in the 1st 2 rounds. Arm length was something I looked at. Henley was the guy I felt they’d fall for if they waited until the middle rounds because of arm length. Williams is similar.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did you ever feel like Edmunds size was a factor in the run game? It was his size and length in the pass game that was talked about.

Im not even concerned at all about LB size defending the run, especially when we had slot CBs taking on OL in the past. It’s really a non factor for me.

It's funny but what was most talked about for Edmunds was never how many plays he made, but how many plays he "prevented" by being so big and long and stuff that they didn't even attempt to make a throw. To which I always responded, 1) you really can't disprove a negative can you? and 2) did anyone ever watch a KC tape where Mahomes moves Edmunds all over the field with his eyes, like a cat with a laser pointer, opening up the throws to Kelce all game long. If the goal is to defend KC I don't think Edmunds was ever going to be the answer and I'm willing to see if someone - anyone - is.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

He walked backed the Outside only.  He was told to learn both positions.  I feel Beane is hoping Bernard wins the mike and plays well.  Williams becomes the 3rd linebaker in 4-3 sets and primary backup to both positions.  Beane is tempering expectations and allow the guys who have been in the system a chance at Mike.  If no one takes it Williams is the next guy to get the shot.

5 years of Edmunds has made the size difference jarring but compared to Devin White, Fred Warner and Shaq Leonard he is about the same size.  Williams wingspan is unique to the other elite LB.  I like the way he plays and physicality he brings at the point of contact.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:39 PM, jlgarsh said:

I went to Tulane. Let’s go!!!

I went to Grad School at Tulane.  What an incredible year we had, best football year in nearly a century.  No one alive would have realistically predicted at 12 win season topped off with beating USC in the Cotton Bowl.

Love the pick, smart kid with great versatility and speed!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The more I watch and the more I read about him, the more I think he has a chance to play alongside Milano towards the end of the year and be an asset in the playoffs.  Not a star by any means, but good enough to do what McD needs.  

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

He walked backed the Outside only.  He was told to learn both positions.  I feel Beane is hoping Bernard wins the mike and plays well.  Williams becomes the 3rd linebaker in 4-3 sets and primary backup to both positions.  Beane is tempering expectations and allow the guys who have been in the system a chance at Mike.  If no one takes it Williams is the next guy to get the shot.

5 years of Edmunds has made the size difference jarring but compared to Devin White, Fred Warner and Shaq Leonard he is about the same size.  Williams wingspan is unique to the other elite LB.  I like the way he plays and physicality he brings at the point of contact.  

It’s funny, but I didn’t have to see the jersey number or even the hair, Edmunds was THE BIG GUY out there! Then came Groot, but Edmunds always stood out as the first guy you want walking off the bus. 

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I don’t feel the love for Bernard, I feel it for Dodson the way Beane is talking. It sounds like it is clearly his job to lose. Bernard is a special teamer who has zero chance to win this job imo. He has no advantage physically or experience wise over Spector. Dodson isn’t as good an athlete but has 4 years experience in the system is still only 24. For Bernard, the only thing he has going for him was he was drafted in the 3rd round. 

image.thumb.png.590e432faff900f6d62637e5edd13f7e.pngimage.thumb.png.8ae168da6e3f00934ec43c702d0b5f11.png

Edited by MrEpsYtown

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t feel the love for Bernard, I feel it for Dodson the way Beane is talking. It sounds like it is clearly his job to lose. Bernard is a special teamer who has zero chance to win this job imo. He has no advantage physically or experience wise over Bernard or Spector. The only thing he has going for him was he was drafted in the 3rd round. 

image.thumb.png.590e432faff900f6d62637e5edd13f7e.pngimage.thumb.png.8ae168da6e3f00934ec43c702d0b5f11.png

Saw Bernard at OTAs and he looked like he hasn’t lifted all offseason.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.