RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

19 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Well good thing I am not on twitter. I have been a long time board member (before this date just lost my info...I am old) as you have.l been. I have agreed with a majority of what you said over time. However, by saying Buffalo misses on LBers when one was a multiple time pro bowler who got paid a 72 million dollar deal with 50 million guaranteed in free agency and the other considered one of the best we have ever had and an all-pro as "meh no big deal dis team still suckz dudez when it comes to picking linebackers" is an absolute cold take and at this point you're bordering on troll status.

respect this too 👍

17 hours ago, In Summary said:

Besides Jones, what DT is going to keep these little guys clean? 

This was my point pre draft

Following another fine poster or two  here , in regard to drafting a 1 tech to back Jones

Was hoping we would even in the late rounds.

Even more so seeing the LBs we will be fielding post draft etc

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Cam Lynch compares him to Edmunds.   

Honestly, looking at his tape a bit … I see it. 

Obviously doesn’t have the freak size Edmunds has, but he processes, reads and reacts much more instinctually. 

If he can win the MLB, I’m starting to think this guy might be a stud in our defense.    Unlike Edmunds, he plays with bad intentions. 

Check the bolded

Thats all really asked for.
go f someone up Dorian 😋

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Every team in the NFL is in nickel more than 50% of the time. Johnson is a top 4 player on this defense

I am aware it a passing League.

But last season he was asked to do too much. And it showed.

I think he is one of the best and loved him since year one !

On 4/29/2023 at 4:47 AM, Reed83HOF said:

Top Reasons to Buy In:

Size and frame

Special teams resume and experience on defense

Movement skills and college production

Top Reasons For Concern:

Ability to take on and deconstruct blocks

Contact balance

Modest read and react skills 

Sounds like the same concerns we had with Edmunds…every year.  

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, boyst said:

Follow me for more actual football knowledge. It may help you learn some X's and o's but until then. Xxx 😍

Not at all. I've been posting a very long time. I once got flamed for an entire dissertation on linebacker play and how Milano was more important to this team than Edmunds... And I got flamed by many.  This was after Edmunds rookie year.

I need to post more so I can actually have some folks understand my knowledge of X's and o's or just not post at all. 

The Twitter style ***** hot takes posting folks do these days sucks.

But, beyond your football knowledge, I think we can all learn something about humility from you. Thank you for that.  😋

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Interesting that Marino says he has modest read and react skills, because the ESPN guys raved about those skills for Williams and Overshown on back to back picks.  

And it wasn’t just them fluffing every player, because those same ESPN guys ripped Simpson and Henley a few picks earlier for being slow to read and react. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Not that he'll be great, but a 4.49 40 time! That's crazy fast for a LB. In any case, he's a Bill so I wish him the best and who knows? Maybe he will be great after all. Stranger things have happened. There are a few UDFA's in the HOF after all. We can only hope he'll be the next.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Interesting that Marino says he has modest read and react skills, because the ESPN guys raved about those skills for Williams and Overshown on back to back picks.  

And it wasn’t just them fluffing every player, because those same ESPN guys ripped Simpson and Henley a few picks earlier for being slow to read and react. 

What is Marino's background as a college talent assessor? 

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

yes accept he can make it up with his quickness and slightly faster... Edmunds was horrible in coverage.. this guy is not. 

I will judge though when nfl practices and preseason games hit.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What is Marino's background as a college talent assessor? 

That is a good question, the nfl draft network group as a whole have some odd takes. I keep leaning in a little more towards PFF for my draft takes, i just think they have a better group to breakdown prospects.

Considering it's a passing league and our D has surrendered some big games to some upper-echelon tight ends, the following gives me some optimism:

"Remains disciplined with coverage assignments, gets depth on pass drops, and easily runs downfield with tight ends."

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/dorian-williams-lb-tulane-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

" He has the athleticism to match up with tight ends and running backs in man coverage. In zone coverage..."

https://thegamehaus.com/nfl-draft/dorian-williams-2023-nfl-draft-profile/2023/04/24/

"He can cover tight ends man-to-man and plays well in zone coverage."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/buffalo_bills_2023_nfl_draft_review/s1_17198_38762510

"Carries tight ends and running backs with solid speed down the field."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073386-dorian-williams-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-for-buffalo-bills-lb

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Dan in Owego said:

That is a good question, the nfl draft network group as a whole have some odd takes. I keep leaning in a little more towards PFF for my draft takes, i just think they have a better group to breakdown prospects.

PFF grades each player in each college game all year.  You do not have to love their methodology but it does mean they have a group of people paying attention all season not just during “draft season”

• Agree 2

I watched the USC game today, which was touted as his best game. He was all over the place, but he was still a bit up and down. Really over committed on the rpo stuff, play action and counter stuff. He also made some ridiculous plays. I feel like he was a bit in conflict at times with what he was tasked to do, which looked like it was a lot. Got pushed around a bit, and had a bad missed tackle on a long USC TD but you can see flashes in his game. He destroys the running back on the 1 yard line which led to a safety that absolutely changed the game. He’s a playmaker. There is a lot to like here, but I am not sure he’s going to be ready to step in this year. JMO based on one game film. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I didn’t realize this, but it’s worth noting

Lavante David was the guy we were all clamoring for to replace Edmonds

Lavonte David is 61 233 pounds

Dorian Williams is 61 228 pounds

Yeah I feel like a lot of fan’s expectations of the what a mike looks like is skewed by having a unicorn like Tremaine. 

Roquan Smith is 6-1, 232

Fred Warner is 6-3, 230
Demario Davis was 6-2, 235 when drafted…now he weights 248.

Eric Kendricks is 6-0, 232

With his length and frame I see zero reason why Williams couldn’t add 10-15 lbs of muscle. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Considering it's a passing league and our D has surrendered some big games to some upper-echelon tight ends, the following gives me some optimism:

"Remains disciplined with coverage assignments, gets depth on pass drops, and easily runs downfield with tight ends."

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/dorian-williams-lb-tulane-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

" He has the athleticism to match up with tight ends and running backs in man coverage. In zone coverage..."

https://thegamehaus.com/nfl-draft/dorian-williams-2023-nfl-draft-profile/2023/04/24/

"He can cover tight ends man-to-man and plays well in zone coverage."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/buffalo_bills_2023_nfl_draft_review/s1_17198_38762510

"Carries tight ends and running backs with solid speed down the field."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073386-dorian-williams-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-for-buffalo-bills-lb

It's fair to say that much of what the Bills do defensively is done with Kansas City in mind... more so than Cinci I think.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I didn’t realize this, but it’s worth noting

Lavante David was the guy we were all clamoring for to replace Edmonds

Lavonte David is 61 233 pounds

Dorian Williams is 61 228 pounds

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I feel like a lot of fan’s expectations of the what a mike looks like is skewed by having a unicorn like Tremaine. 

Roquan Smith is 6-1, 232

Fred Warner is 6-3, 230
Demario Davis was 6-2, 235 when drafted…now he weights 248.

Eric Kendricks is 6-0, 232

With his length and frame I see zero reason why Williams couldn’t add 10-15 lbs of muscle. 

Darius (I guess he's going by his miiddle name "Shaquille" now) Leonard is 6'2" and 230#.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.