RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

Not a bad pick.  Probably a half a round early according to where I have him as a late 3rd early 4th. 

He is a pretty athletic LBer with good coverage abilities.  On the smaller side but I didnt hold that against him as much in my evaluation as he has a frame that can hold about 15 lbs without losing any speed or quickness which is can add that weight is London Fletcher size at 6'1 250.  I really would have liked more length in my Mike, especially after being spoiled by Edmunds.  But this class does not have that length.  He is a very instinctive player. Really good tackler, dont miss many.

Though he has very solid instincts he seems a bit slow to the spot at times, he can see where they he should be going but because he either isnt trusting what he is seeing or not as twitchy gets to the spot slow at times, which leads to having him fight through alot of wash.  I am not sure that is coachable at this point with him because i seen it at least 5 plays a game.  (To be honest Milano has that problem at times as well and he has gotten better at it so it very well could be a coachable thing).  Personal Side Note:  This also was an issue with me when I played.  It improved when coach drilled into me to change the priorities of where I am getting my tells.  and was able to react to what I was seeing a little faster.  

This LBer class really isnt that good, and it is full of alot of tweaners so I am not holding his size against him.  I think outlook for year one is immediately take Dodsons Role on ST, allowing Dodson to focus on Starting Mike.  I do see 3 down LBer capability in him. will take time.  

I would have taken Siaki Ika, DT out of Baylor here, but after this round (because we dont have a 4th) by the time we pick again the 3 down potential LBers will be gone.  So i understand this pick in that Construct of this years Draft.  If he can take over Tyler M's Role of a core ST at minimum by next year this will prove to be a good pick.  But at the 3rd round you are looking at tools in this draft and there is tools with him to work with like the athleticism and instincts he plays with.  

I would worry a bit of breaking down with the Weight of the OGs getting to him (Milano too) BUT the NFL is looking for more coverage LBers with how the offenses are trending.  He does really well in Zones, understands concepts of getting deeper to take the seams away as no one enters your zone.  (This was something Edmunds really struggled with) and has the athletic ability in Man to cover Backs and fluid hips for man coverage.  

We are at the point in this years draft where that is where you look.  After getting what I see two Day 1 starters in the 1st and 2nd.  I am ok with tools on this pick.  

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Just looking at his frame and build, it looks like the kid could easily put on 10-12 lbs….. now we are talking 235-240 lbs…. 

Yea I agree. I see him as a MLB that’s flys all over the field with speed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not a bad pick.  Probably a half a round early according to where I have him as a late 3rd early 4th. 

He is a pretty athletic LBer with good coverage abilities.  On the smaller side but I didnt hold that against him as much in my evaluation as he has a frame that can hold about 15 lbs without losing any speed or quickness which is can add that weight is London Fletcher size at 6'1 250.  I really would have liked more length in my Mike, especially after being spoiled by Edmunds.  But this class does not have that length.  He is a very instinctive player. Really good tackler, dont miss many.

Though he has very solid insticts he seems a bit slow to the spot at times, he can see where they he should be going but because he either isnt trusting what he is seeing or not as twitchy gets to the spot slow at times, which leads to having him fight through alot of wash.  I am not sure that is coachable at this point with him because i seen it at least 5 plays a game.  (To be honets Milano has that problem at times as well and he has gotten better at it so it very well could be a coachable thing).  Personal Side Note:  This also was an issue with me when I played.  It improved when coach drilled into me to change the priorities of where I am getting my tells.  and was able to react to what I was seeing a little faster.  

This LBer class really isnt that good, and it is full of alot of tweaners so I am not holding his size against him.  I think outlook for year one is immediately take Dodsons Role on ST, allowing Dodson to focus on Starting Mike.  I do see 3 down LBer capability in him. will take time.  

I would have taken Siaki Ika, DT out of Baylor here, but after this round (because we dont have a 4th) by the time we pick again the 3 down potential LBers will be gone.  So i understand this pick in that Construct of this years Draft.  If he can take over Tyler M's Role of a core ST at minimum by next year this will prove to be a good pick.  But at the 3rd round you are looking at tools in this draft and there is tools with him to work with like the athleticism and instincts he plays with.  

I would worry a bit of breaking down with the Weight of the OGs getting to him (Milano too) BUT the NFL is looking for more coverage LBers with how the offenses are trending.  He does really well in Zones, understands concepts of getting deeper to take the seams away as no one enters your zone.  (This was something Edmunds really struggled with) and has the athletic ability in Man to cover Backs and fluid hips for man coverage.  

80" wingspan seems to have decent length. Could see Williams/Bernard splitting time in Bills 4-2-5 nickel d. With Milano, Dodson, Klein getting work in base 4-3. I like the pick has frame to add weight.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I like the speed and aggression, but a 220lb MLB?

He plays at 235.  I think he can put another 10-15 on him without losing speed.  Now you have a 6'1 245 250, London Fletcher type build.  Maybe 1-2 inches from ideal size.

1 minute ago, noacls said:

80" wingspan seems to have decent length. Could see Williams/Bernard splitting time in Bills 4-2-5 nickel d. With Milano, Dodson, Klein getting work in base 4-3. I like the pick has frame to add weight.  

Yeah I have no Issue overall witht he pick.  I see what the Bills are thinking here, more and more teams will be thinking with Fast LBers and being able to stay on the field more in this new age NFL.  Thos big thumpers like Campbell are going to continue to be passed by more and more teams.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah I have no Issue overall witht he pick.  I see what the Bills are thinking here, more and more teams will be thinking with Fast LBers and being able to stay on the field more in this new age NFL.  Thos big thumpers like Campbell are going to continue to be passed by more and more teams.  

Lions' draft room playing Pearl Jam and Green Day.

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He didn't "definitely" force this pick.

This is what is known as a guess.

As is what you are saying there are "the plans" for him, but which are really your guesses. 

Nothing wrong with having guesses. Nothing whatsoever. It's only a problem when you start to confuse guesses with facts.

And again. You're not being a realist here. You in fact don't "just know he's going to be useless."

It's a guess. 

I don't like the pick either so far. But I don't kid myself I know what's going to happen in the future.

Difference between me and you. Is,  I DO KNOW, that he will not be anything more than a special teamer in his career. I’ll be glad to eat crow if I’m wrong. Trust me. I’m not. 

25 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This confirms the return of 3 LB sets. 

If it’s Williams- Bernard - Milano you have incredible speed and coverage ability. 

He’s closer to 230

I was thinking the same thing on the 3 LB sets, iirc McDermott said something or another about some changes to the defense, this would be the most likely of adjustments imo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.