RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

5 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Simpson is 235 @6'2" 

Williams is 228 @6'1"

Not much of a difference imo.

The larger the man, the less the difference in weight maters.  This 7 lb difference could even be fluctuation.  They dont weigh these guys weekly, and average it out.  Bottom line, their both, and all were, undersized

Just now, Cash said:

IMO Frazier has been running McD’s defense. I would be very surprised if we saw major changes on that front, even with a different play-caller in effect. And most teams’ actual base defense has been nickel for a while now - especially ours. 

Like I alluded, if one of our 3rd-round LBs becomes our big nickel (a la Shaq Thompson), then that guy has a clear path to a lot of playing time. But if both stay at LB proper? Only 1 spot available in our base D. And if both stay at OLB? Then we’re down to zero. 

For the record, I’m not worried about this pick. It’s a head scratcher today, but sometimes those head scratchers pan out. And even if not, the fact remains that you can’t hit on every pick. (For real, folks - look it up!) If we hit on picks 1 & 2, this draft is already a success - even if Williams is an abject bust. 

But Frazier rarely implemented 3 safety looks or 4-3 components that Carolina ran with Kuechly, Davis, and Thompson that were variations to what McDermott ran in Carolina to what Buffalo has done previously 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Everyone’s weight stays completely static for their entire life so you nailed this take.

I’m proud of you for thinking of this all on your own. But the fact is that almost anytime the Bills pick a player and ask them to gain weight, they almost never do it. 

add to that, this kid gaining 15lbs still isn’t going to make him big enough. The OP stated that Fletcher was good even though he was small. If 242 is small for LB, then a guy at 228 has no business playing the position. 

you can keep replying to my posts all you want. But this pick will never turn out to be a good pick. Just like the undersized LB they picked last year. 

I heard Crayola has a new set of 128 out. Lots of new colors for you. Enjoy 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

yup. Bernard was certainly McDermotts pick last year. And now that Tremaine is gone it was probably his pick again. At least he waited until the third round to put Beane in a chokehold for defensive players, normally that starts the first night.

Like the draft as a whole, but this was dissappointing and makes it feel more and more like we have no plan when it comes to drafting.

We do have a plan, Beane is good. A few thoughts on this pick -

1.) We place a big emphasis on ST - this is certainly one of those picks.

2.) When you spend a couple mill on Matekevich and Taiwan Jones, you can use the picks to reduce the cap hit and save that money to pay others. I get it, but it feels like we maybe place a bit too much importance on them this high in the draft.

3.) McD is a really good DC (after Philly), we do need to add to the D, but this draft overall is a thin light one

4.) This pick was more on physical and athletic traits and hoping you get lucky with development IMO. IN round 3 it is early, but again this is a light draft

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Simpson is 235 @6'2" 

Williams is 228 @6'1"

Not much of a difference imo.

I never liked Simpson either because he was too small. Which is why he wasn’t a 1st rd pick and ended up late in the 3rd 

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Correction... The Bills and the 3rd round!! 

They've been decent there, outside of Moss.

Singletary, Knox, Phillips were all solid to very good. Brown is promising, though it could still go either way, and with Bernard, it's too early, who knows.

Zach Thomas was 5’10 228 out of the draft.  You can’t teach speed though and this kid has it.  I’m not sure why people think that extra 10 lbs makes

a big difference.  He’s got enough height and can easily get to 240’s

with training.  More important is if he can read offenses and the commentors  seem to think he’s a savant at reading the backfield etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Spector cost us Hodgins, too.  Keeping Spector, at least.  

I’m with you on our evaluation of LBs.  Does Bernard even get a second year at this point? He better have a good camp. 

Spector didn't cost hodgins.. Kumerow did

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

But Frazier rarely implemented 3 safety looks or 4-3 components that Carolina ran with Kuechly, Davis, and Thompson that were variations to what McDermott ran in Carolina to what Buffalo has done previously 

Fair enough, but that could easily be just that they're so thrilled with Taron Johnson that they don't want to take him out.

Just now, Aurelius said:

Zach Thomas was 5’10 228 out of the draft.  You can’t teach speed though and this kid has it.  I’m not sure why people think that extra 10 lbs makes

a big difference.  He’s got enough height and can easily get to 240’s

with training.  More important is if he can read offenses and the commentors  seem to think he’s a savant at reading the backfield etc. 

that would be great…except we already have half of our LBs on the roster that are similar doing nothing

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I always hate when people do this it’s not just you. Williams just went it’s obvious it’s not a reach. All the other guys haven’t gone off the board for a reason.  The I’ve heard of him or saw him in mocks in the 1st/2nd round clearly isn’t true 

You hate it when people consider their own prospect projections while determining if they think someone is a reach?  This is strange coming from you. I have nothing but respect for you.  Maybe we have different definitions of reach?

I thought Terrell Bernard was a reach.

I thought John Ross was a massive reach.  

I thought Mika Mamula was a reach. 

they were all drafted….. but shouldn’t have been drafted that early- A team drafted them prematurely. Hence a reach. 

If what you say is the rule, the term reach wouldn’t exist.  But it does exist.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.