RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Or is it the coaching staff's input and what they want

yup. Bernard was certainly McDermotts pick last year. And now that Tremaine is gone it was probably his pick again. At least he waited until the third round to put Beane in a chokehold for defensive players, normally that starts the first night.

Like the draft as a whole, but this was dissappointing and makes it feel more and more like we have no plan when it comes to drafting.

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

why is the assumption we’re gonna run no additional defensive packages next year and roll out the same D. McDermott as a DC didn’t run the defense that Frazier implemented 

IMO Frazier has been running McD’s defense. I would be very surprised if we saw major changes on that front, even with a different play-caller in effect. And most teams’ actual base defense has been nickel for a while now - especially ours. 

Like I alluded, if one of our 3rd-round LBs becomes our big nickel (a la Shaq Thompson), then that guy has a clear path to a lot of playing time. But if both stay at LB proper? Only 1 spot available in our base D. And if both stay at OLB? Then we’re down to zero. 

For the record, I’m not worried about this pick. It’s a head scratcher today, but sometimes those head scratchers pan out. And even if not, the fact remains that you can’t hit on every pick. (For real, folks - look it up!) If we hit on picks 1 & 2, this draft is already a success - even if Williams is an abject bust. 

37 minutes ago, VW82 said:

All ACC

All AAC

But THE MANE FROM TULANE!

This draft has had me erect for more than 4 hours, which I'm told requires medical intervention.  BUT THE ONLY MEDICATION I NEED IS MORE BIG BALLER BEANE INJECTED STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Great, another special teams Linebacker.  I don’t get it and now Beane confirms he won’t play MLB. Are they really going with AJ Klein? What a disaster. 

you weren’t getting a viable day one MLB at 91 boss. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

What Bills wire had on Williams...

Where you want him is in that role as a true half-field ‘backer who can clean things up at the line of scrimmage, create pressure from all over the place, and cover beyond where most linebackers can. In those regards, he’s a modern linebacker who absolutely fits the profile.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.