RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think all second round picks are potential stars. Rounds 2 and 3 are generally where you get a real mix between high floor, low ceiling, and low floor, high ceiling. I think Torrence is in that first camp. I can see him going to a few pro bowls, he might sneak an all pro somewhere along the line but he isn't going to be a perennial all pro type.

I generally think of the round three guys as the high floor, low ceiling guys.  I expect to find useful players there, but they're just not athletic enough to be likely to grow into real stars at their position.   I think of round two guys as low floor, high ceiling.  They are the guys who have the athletic ability to be first rounders but have some issue that raises questions about their ability ever to realize the ceiling.  

Now, that's a gross generalization, to be sure, and high second round guys are more likely to have a high ceiling than low second round guys.   And even if my generalization is correct, it doesn't apply in every individual case 

In Torrence's case, however, I think it does apply.  He shows some excellent individual ability.  Offensive linemen are notoriously underprepared for NFL, and it isn't easy to predict how much they will grow in terms of their understanding of the game.  He also has suggested that mastering his weight has been an area of growth for him, and it may be that continued strength and conditioning training may help develop as a player, too.  For all those reason, I'm not prepared yet to say what his ceiling is.  I think he could be anywhere from journeyman to real star.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think all second round picks are potential stars. Rounds 2 and 3 are generally where you get a real mix between high floor, low ceiling, and low floor, high ceiling. I think Torrence is in that first camp. I can see him going to a few pro bowls, he might sneak an all pro somewhere along the line but he isn't going to be a perennial all pro type.

I think he’s a Dion Dawkins type impact at OG.  Good, but not great. Pro bowls, but never an all pro.  I just hope that he can excel at making sure we get our 3rd and 4th and shorts 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think he’s a Dion Dawkins type impact at OG.  Good, but not great. Pro bowls, but never an all pro.  I just hope that he can excel at making sure we get our 3rd and 4th and shorts 

Yep, good description

47 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Gunner

If he makes a few pro bowls and one all pro ? I am More than satisfied
And i feel he will grow into his roles as an NFL player quickly and become solid ++

Go Bills

I agree with that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 3:56 PM, GunnerBill said:

For the same reasons and detailed justification you provided, I think he’s going to be a perennial star, a multi SB ringed first ballet HOFer! 😝 

35 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I know he's not a skill player, but considering how weak our OL was last year, Torrence may have the biggest positive impact of anyone new to our roster this year. Love this pick!

Truth.   Josh Allen in the pocket with more than 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball is a scary thought.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Truth.   Josh Allen in the pocket with more than 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball is a scary thought.

This times 1000!!! Imagine how awesome he can be if he has time to calmly read a defense on a regular basis! This has been a great offseason 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/13/2023 at 10:16 AM, NewEra said:

I would be totally OK if this ended up being the ceiling

But why are we automatically going to assume that that is the ceiling? I see this guys story and I don’t know what his ceiling is.

Let’s remember he went to the hardest division of college football, and never gave up a sack and on top of that he doesn’t commit penalties so that he doesn’t give up sacks

I think there’s a very good possibility that he could end up being an all pro

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would be totally OK if this ended up being the ceiling

But why are we automatically going to assume that that is the ceiling? I see this guys story and I don’t know what his ceiling is.

Let’s remember he went to the hardest division of college football, and never gave up a sack and on top of that he doesn’t commit penalties so that he doesn’t give up sacks

I think there’s a very good possibility that he could end up being an all pro

I’m just giving my opinion on the guy from what I’ve seen. I didn’t mention a ceiling. I think he’s going to be good, but not all pro.  I didn’t say he couldn’t be all pro.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m just giving my opinion on the guy from what I’ve seen. I didn’t mention a ceiling. I think he’s going to be good, but not all pro.  I didn’t say he couldn’t be all pro.  

Honestly, this wasn’t directed to you just add to the conversation as a whole

This was the best guard in the draft in my opinion

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.