RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think my biggest concern with him is his weight. He dropped 17 lbs to get down to 330 LBS? That concerns me over time. Is he one of “those guys”? 

On the flip side, he doesn’t give up sacks and went all year without a penalty. That sounds like a disciplined guy, and that is encouraging. Let us hope this is a pick we are rejoicing over a decade from now. 

Actually, I was referring to the top-heavy wife

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Actually, I was referring to the top-heavy wife

Oh, I was afraid to go to the ex. I fear what terrible things I might do wrong if I went down that road. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I think my biggest concern with him is his weight. He dropped 17 lbs to get down to 330 LBS? That concerns me over time. Is he one of “those guys”? 

Thankfully he's not "one of those guys."

From "The Beast:"

... weighed over 420 pounds when he started high school and completely changed his nutrition and life habits to carry a comfortable weight... A massive but lean-muscled blocker

Also it's pretty obvious from still photos and video that he's not fat.

https://buffalowdown.com/2023/04/28/buffalo-bills-2023-nfl-draft-grade-ocyrus-torrence/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Augie said:

On the flip side, he doesn’t give up sacks and went all year without a penalty. That sounds like a disciplined guy, and that is encouraging. Let us hope this is a pick we are rejoicing over a decade from now. 

At guard, I don't mind so much about him being a player with weight issues. At tackle is where you run into problems with those guys, like Becton and Cody Ford for example.

18 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Thankfully he's not "one of those guys."

From "The Beast:"

... weighed over 420 pounds when he started high school and completely changed his nutrition and life habits to carry a comfortable weight... A massive but lean-muscled blocker

Also it's pretty obvious from still photos and video that he's not fat.

https://buffalowdown.com/2023/04/28/buffalo-bills-2023-nfl-draft-grade-ocyrus-torrence/

Thank you for pointing that out. He had a weight problem whenever he was a kid and has spent years working on it.

Which means that he has work ethic and then you’re about to get him with professional strength and conditioning trainers for an NFL team

Except for the fact that you’re not gonna see this guy, downfield, throwing defensive backs, left and right on screens there’s literally nothing not to like about this guy

Stud

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, TOboy said:

It is. Got himself into shape to play football.

Would you happen to have any photos of him sitting at a middle school desk in 8th grade as a 400 pounder? That might require some special engineering. 

I still concerns me a bit if he can blow up like that, but I hope he stays disciplined for football, and for life. You don’t want to be one of the people on a scooter in the grocery store (oh, the irony!) while still in his 20’s. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Would you happen to have any photos of him sitting at a middle school desk in 8th grade as a 400 pounder? That might require some special engineering. 

I still concerns me a bit if he can blow up like that, but I hope he stays disciplined for football, and for life. You don’t want to be one of the people on a scooter in the grocery store (oh, the irony!) while still in his 20’s. 

Torrence tells the story of how the high school football coach constantly asked him to go out for football.

He went on to say he had low self-esteem but finally relented and tried out.  When he saw himself transitioning into the man

he is now he said it was a life changing moment.  He thanks and praises his HS coach.

I see a young man with a lot of inner strength.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just watched the ‘23 Senior Bowl again, this time focusing exclusively on right OG, Torrence. Gents….the guy completely stone-walled ever DT he faced. It wasn’t even close. Not only did Torrence completely stand-up every DT but he ACTIVELY sought out other DL to shift over to once he had his primary target contained. His QB didn’t even get a sniff from a DL or pass rusher that was on Torrence’s side. In fact, there seemed to be a noticeable drop off when Torrence rotated out. He also had nimble feet in the pocket and even helped pull when the running game called upon. I watched every snap and came away thoroughly impressed with his dominance…vs draft likely talent. He may not start right away but WOW! Matter of time. 

Edited by RenoNVBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

Just watched the ‘23 Senior Bowl again, this time focusing exclusively on right OG, Torrence. Gents….the guy completely stone-walled ever DT he faced. It wasn’t even close. Not only did Torrence completely stand-up every DT but he ACTIVELY sought out other DL to shift over to once he had his primary target contained. His QB didn’t even get a sniff from a DL or pass rusher that was on Torrence’s side. In fact, there seemed to be a noticeable drop off when Torrence rotated out. He also had nimble feet in the pocket and even helped pull when the running game called upon. I watched every snap and came away thoroughly impressed with his dominance…vs draft likely talent. He may not start right away but WOW! Matter of time. 

Where did you find that game? Did you have it recorded? Is it on YouTube or some other source? I’d enjoy taking a look. 

Thanks for the encouraging report. I hope he’s a day one starter and stays there a decade plus. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Where did you find that game? Did you have it recorded? Is it on YouTube or some other source? I’d enjoy taking a look. 

Thanks for the encouraging report. I hope he’s a day one starter and stays there a decade plus. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was gonna post it but someone beat me to it

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.