RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

Rookie o line guys usually struggle with the long season, camp, weight, practicing against real talent, playbook, mental pressures. If they start game 1 then by 8 or 9 they are sitting a bit. Most players, especially o-line follow this pattern. If he can follow this pattern and step forward to give us real solid play for 12 of our 20 games on journey to SB I will be thrilled.

Love that the film shows he knows exactly how long he can hold before the flag comes. Football smarts. Too bad he is a Gator though. My Seminoles roughed up his team this year. I'd be curious to see how he held up that game.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I like players like Torrence but all our interior line are athletic and mobile and dont think he is a good scheme fit. Its like drafting a 34 defensive end who are big and strong (AJ Epenesa) and trying to make them fit into a smaller faster 43 scheme.

I hope he works out but the pick doesnt make sense.

One of the biggest issues last season was once the ball was snapped Allen would have immediate pressure coming right up the middle. This would cause him to have to either roll out quickly, get the ball out too fast or eat a quick sack. This ends that issue. 

Torrence is not going to get driven back much. And as a mountain of dude you aren't going to get around him fast. And once he locks on to someone they are toast. 

He's not going to be asked to pull and lead block side to side very often. But what he will do is wall off the defender at the point of attack and drive him out of the play. This will really work well in tandem with Harris and his ability to hit a hole fast get upfield.  

Do we take a flyer on Vorhees in the 6th if he's still there and let him rehab a year? I'm thinking by then who's really gonna help anyway why not completely upgrade your interior within two years. By then McGovern could battle Bates for center with Mitch most likely retiring. Cost control on the interior folks.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Do we take a flyer on Vorhees in the 6th if he's still there and let him rehab a year?

Might be a viable strategy, but it also seems like stopping at the rack in the produce department where they sell the wilted lettuce and bruised bananas. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Do we take a flyer on Vorhees in the 6th if he's still there and let him rehab a year? I'm thinking by then who's really gonna help anyway why not completely upgrade your interior within two years. By then McGovern could battle Bates for center with Mitch most likely retiring. Cost control on the interior folks.

I would if he's still there.😁

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

With him I would rather put him on the LG position I dont think the Bills will do that.  If he becomes the RT, the issue I have it both your RT and RG now have lateral movement limitations.  

He's got to be a guard.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes and I would prefer he play LG, because his Lateral Movement limitations next to Spencer Browns Lateral Movement problems. Will hurt  

Like others, I don't understand how they are putting the line together. Can you plausibly synthesize mauler types like Torrence and RAS athletic types like Brown? It seems badly mismatched. Shouldn't someone who is paid to ask questions ask for an explanation of the rationale from Beane or Kromer? I fear they don't have one. They take good players and think they can somehow make it work.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Like others, I don't understand how they are putting the line together. Can you plausibly synthesize mauler types like Torrence and RAS athletic types like Brown? It seems badly mismatched. Shouldn't someone who is paid to ask questions ask for an explanation of the rationale from Beane or Kromer? I fear they don't have one. They take good players and think they can somehow make it work.

What i don’t understand is what people act like the has cement in his shoes.  He’s pretty athletic for a guy his size 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

What i don’t understand is what people act like the has cement in his shoes.  He’s pretty athletic for a guy his size 

He's a north south guy. The RAS fellas are predicated on lateral movement. In isolation, you can justify either approach.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think the OL is in a slight transition.  Last year their lack of POWER in the interior was evident.  Basic OL Build thinking your left side is your Finesse and move side, your Right is your Power Side (Historical thinking) So I think they are looking to get more power inside to deal with the Jones, Wilkins, Donalds.  Our Interior was pushed around ALOT last year.  That has was the issue with the OL.  And they are looking to address it.  

Torrence can get better laterally once in a NFL weight room and change his body a bit.  I think he plays 10 lbs too heavy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Might be a viable strategy, but it also seems like stopping at the rack in the produce department where they sell the wilted lettuce and bruised bananas. 🤔

Im all good with that. Those bruised banana make some great banana bread 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Rookie o line guys usually struggle with the long season, camp, weight, practicing against real talent, playbook, mental pressures. If they start game 1 then by 8 or 9 they are sitting a bit. Most players, especially o-line follow this pattern. If he can follow this pattern and step forward to give us real solid play for 12 of our 20 games on journey to SB I will be thrilled.

maybe, but the guy does not move around much and is hard to move so hard so how tired can he get

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.