RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don’t get this board. We get a massive nasty interior OL and people here are whining about it. Did you watch the Bengal game????

And they met with him at the combine, had a pre-draft visit with him, and had an official 30 visit with him. If he doesn't work out, so be it. It happens. But they more than did their due diligence on him and were comfortable with the fit.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's really fair. I too have some serious question marks about Torrance. 

Oof, alright guys, this was the slap in the face I needed to snap out of it. I'm coming around on the pick. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Seems a bit lumbering and heavy to be used in a gap or pin/pull scheme where they found most of their success last year. 

In pass pro, I have PTSD from watching Saffolds slow feet last season, and I’m hopeful he plays quicker than his size would indicate. 

Yeah he isn’t my favorite. But I get why they like him and he will push to start. In the first round I would have hated it. Here it is totally worth the risk. To me he has quiet feet, his pass pro is very patient and I think that is why he looks slow. 

• Like (+1) 4

Mt guess is that Torrence and McGovern will start at guard.  Morris will remain at center.  Boettger and Edwards will compete to backup at guard while Bates backs up Morris.  The Bills will try to trade the loser of the Boettger/Edwards competition for a late round pick in 2024.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He's not as strong as he appears. His bench press at the combine was very disappointing. 

The 225lb bench press is really an endurance event for OL/DL who can move serious weight. I've known guys who could bench 450lbs but could only do 225 for 12-15 reps.

The combine bench press test for linemen should really be 315lbs for reps.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Serious question - are you ever happy?

I'm happy with the selection. The value was too great to pass up. 

Just saying let's wait and see how he plays. He dropped for a reason and he appears slower and lumbering at times. 

I like his size and how he can maul players at the attack point. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

Mt guess is that Torrence and McGovern will start at guard.  Morris will remain at center.  Boettger and Edwards will compete to backup at guard while Bates backs up Morris.  The Bills will try to trade the loser of the Boettger/Edwards competition for a late round pick in 2024.  

Morris?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oof, alright guys, this was the slap in the face I needed to snap out of it. I'm coming around on the pick.

He is one of the top rated OGs in the draft - step back and look at our IOL depth now. This is a big deal if Kromer can develop this kid

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah he isn’t my favorite. But I get why they like him and he will push to start. In the first round I would have hated it. Here it is totally worth the risk. To me he has quiet feet, his pass pro is very patient and I think that is why he looks slow. 

Yeah, getting him at 59 definitely makes me feel better about it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

The depth at IOL is the best as it has been in years. Still would like a bit more at OT though, but it is what it is

• Agree 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

He is one of the top rated OGs in the draft - step back and look at our IOL depth now. This is a big deal if Kromer can develop this kid

Still waiting for Bown to develop.

I think Kromer gets way too much credit with not a lot of results. His oline has been sub par for too long. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Still waiting for Bown to develop.

I think Kromer gets way too much credit with not a lot of results. His oline has been sub par for too long. 

he has only been here for 1 year again....and Brown had back issues and missed the entire offseason - Hard to pin that on him

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

It's just one metric of strength. They do the bench press at the combine for a reason. 

I didn’t say it didn’t have a place for measurement of strength. It does. Just that it’s not that big of a deal… you aren’t laying on your back moving opposing defenders around the field. Leverage my friend is way more important for a 300lb+ guy than reps on a bench press. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.