2023 offense has potential to be best in Bills history

Success

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Adding another weapon puts more pressure on Allen? OK, I'm Dopey and this has gone way over my head, but, what?

13-3 last year, even with an elbow injury to Josh that limited the types of throws he could manage. Josh injured his elbow during our loss to the Jets. Even with Josh not playing his best, we went on an 8 game winning streak after the injury, before the loss to the Bengals. This would include a playoff win with an inured Josh. We've got the players. Allen was hardly playing MVP ball after the injury. Not sure how you can't see it.

Pretty simple really. Receivers don't pass the ball to themselves. If you load up on receivers, it means even more of your offense is dependent on a guy to get them the ball vs a running back and offensive line that can win games with poor/average quarterback play.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Pretty simple really. Receivers don't pass the ball to themselves. If you load up on receivers, it means even more of your offense is dependent on a guy to get them the ball vs a running back and offensive line that can win games with poor/average quarterback play.

Have you seen much of Damien Harris?  He's had injury issues, but I remember being ticked when he was a rookie that the Pats had such a good back. We haven't had a runner like him since the drought days.

We've also improved the line, though not in a huge way. I'd expect to see a pick go toward that tonight.

2 hours ago, Success said:

Have you seen much of Damien Harris?  He's had injury issues, but I remember being ticked when he was a rookie that the Pats had such a good back. We haven't had a runner like him since the drought days.

We've also improved the line, though not in a huge way. I'd expect to see a pick go toward that tonight.

He's a good back and I like him, but I see him as a complimentary piece. If Josh were to go down or just not have a great day, I don't see them being able to lean on him (or Cook) the way teams can with guys like Henry, D. Cook, Jacobs, Chubb.

There's no doubt we're in a passing league and have been, but I feel like a dominant rushing attack gives your offense a whole other dimension that another receiver doesn't. Granted there's only 3-4 of those guys int he league, so i get not making it a priority.

Yes...Josh Allen is better than Jim Kelly, but these Bills are not close enough to comparing better offenses.

Kelly, Thomas, Lofton, Reed, K. Davis, Hull, Ballard and Wolford is much stronger than...

Allen, Diggs...and a few people with potential 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Success said:

This was a sneaky good offseason for our offense.

Kincaid brings a versatility we didn't have at TE, and will create match-up nightmares for opposing DC's.  The additions of Sherfield and Harty were low key, but give us even more versatility, speed, YAC - and all 3 new additions have great hands, which is something we lacked in '22.

Then you go to the RB unit. Damien Harris is the best RB we have had in years, with Cook coming into his 2nd year after coming on strong at the end of last season.  They complement each other well.

If Davis can get back to form, and Brown takes the leap and realizes his potential - this team could have the best offense in the league, and the best we've seen in Buffalo.  And I loved the K-Gun days, but this O could be better.

Don't overrated Harris, but that aside, what would it be that prevents that potential from becoming reality?  

14 hours ago, Success said:

Do t overrated Harris, some of his best games were against us, but he's been a pretty average RB at best.

• Disagree 1

19 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

The last 3 seasons the Bills have had 3 of their best 5 all time offenses. How has that worked out when the games actually mattered?

Our offense generally hasn't been a problem outside of Allen's elbow injury. How much better do we get by adding more pass catchers? If the goal was to take pressure off of Allen, this just puts more on him, imo.

Maybe if we had some players that could win games for us even when Allen wasn't playing MVP ball, that would finally get us over the hump.

Diggs disappeared in four of our last five playoff games.  He gets paid way too much to do that.  

19 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

No blocking....no success.

This team wont succeed int he playoffs 

The blocking appears to be on track for improvement.  The question is by how much and whether it will be enough.  

23 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like the optimism but the rb room leaves a lot to be desired

I think we have exactly what we need, health permitting, and if they're utilized properly.  

There is ZERO reason James Cook shouldn't have 400+ yards receiving this season.  Anything less is a failure on Dorsey's part.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not sure tgat you have noticed, but our offense has been pretty reliant on the Qb the last 4 years🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

34 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Should be a great offense, but better than the SB era?  With HOFers in Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Lofton?  Easy now.

Outside of Thurman, none of those guys were that good.

Reed is maybe the most overrated Bill in history. Diggs is far better.

Kelly is a close second. Not sure I'd have him in the top 30 QBs all time. Allen is far better in every ability.

Lofton was well past his prime, despite playing very well for us.

4 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Not sure tgat you have noticed, but our offense has been pretty reliant on the Qb the last 4 years🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I have noticed, and last year it was a problem. When Allen hurt his elbow, the only choice we had was to make him throw the ball 40 times a game anyway. Derrick Henry would have fixed that issue.

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Kelly is a close second. Not sure I'd have him in the top 30 QBs all time. Allen is far better in every ability.

I have noticed, and last year it was a problem. When Allen hurt his elbow, the only choice we had was to make him throw the ball 40 times a game anyway. Derrick Henry would have fixed that issue.

Some of the worst analysis I’ve ever seen. if Derrick Henry could have carried a team to the Superbowl, why has he failed to elevate the Titans? How would he have helped an injured Allen, he couldn’t even carry a Healthy Qb over the years. They should have rolled even with  Tanahill as the Qb but it didn’t happen. Reed over rated? Just dumb🤦‍♂️

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You have got to be either drunk, stoned, or kidding.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

14 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Some of the worst analysis I’ve ever seen. if Derrick Henry could have carried a team to the Superbowl, why has he failed to elevate the Titans? How would he have helped an injured Allen, he couldn’t even carry a Healthy Qb over the years. They should have rolled even with  Tanahill as the Qb but it didn’t happen. Reed over rated? Just dumb🤦‍♂️

Reed NEVER had back to back 1000 yard seasons. He hit 10 TDs only ONCE in his career and had 8 Seasons with 5 TDs or less. Stevie Johnson had a higher consistency of production. If you have a fact-based argument that Reed is better than Diggs I'd love to hear it.

I also never said Derrick Henry could carry a team to a Super Bowl. What I said is that he can carry games by himself, which is factually true. He's carried Tannehill and co over his career to be top seed when they had no business being there. The plan isn't to get a guy like Henry and cut Allen, it's to have both.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Reed NEVER had back to back 1000 yard seasons. He hit 10 TDs only ONCE in his career and had 8 Seasons with 5 TDs or less. Stevie Johnson had a higher consistency of production. If you have a fact-based argument that Reed is better than Diggs I'd love to hear it.

I also never said Derrick Henry could carry a team to a Super Bowl. What I said is that he can carry games by himself, which is factually true. He's carried Tannehill and co over his career to be top seed when they had no business being there. The plan isn't to get a guy like Henry and cut Allen, it's to have both.

Why do I have to say one is better than the other?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Should be a great offense, but better than the SB era?  With HOFers in Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Lofton?  Easy now.

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Why do I have to say one is better than the other?

Because you already did. Or did you forget?

16 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because you already did. Or did you forget?

No I didn’t.  I said you can’t say this year’s offense will be better than the SB era.  You are the one trying to compare players against each other.  Reed was great, invented the slot receiver.  Diggs is great, he’s a HOFer 

I'm reserving judgment.  I am hopeful for better OL play.

I don't like the Kincaid pick at all.  Dorsey could barely get Knox involved last year.  Now he has to get a second TE involved?  What's the over/under on how many balls Kincaid gets next year?  30 catches?

I wouldn't say that Harris is any better than Singletary, but he's no worse and he's a better fit. I also think we're weak at 1 Guard spot even with Torrence whom I expect to be our best Offensive Lineman. I'm not at all impressed with any of the other Guards on our roster. Still, it's Brown's 3rd year and he's healthy, so that bodes well. Also, I think Torrence brings a very positive outlook to the OL room that should lift performances across the board. If we sign even an average MLB or trade for one and even land Hopkins to pay us back for Hail Murray, this team is going to be as good as any in recent memory.

Josh obviously needs to reduce the turnovers after leading the NFL in that category last year, but he can do that for these reasons. For one, he can slide more and wrap up the ball much better. That should reduce fumbles. Also, throwing from a clean pocket and having better skill players along with a more productive ground game should help him reduce interceptions.

I'm surprised we didn't trade up for one of the 2 quality MLB's left in the 3rd, but perhaps Beane just wasn't able to find the right deal. I believe we'll be OK if we just get a veteran MLB with decent speed and cover skills as well as a pass rusher to hold down Von's spot until he's ready to go.

Edited by GreggTX

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.