2023 offense has potential to be best in Bills history

Success

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean sure but we have had some awesome offenses. I like the optimism but the rb room leaves a lot to be desired and we need a legit #2 receiver. However without a doubt, it is possibly our best TE room next to mark campbell and Tim Euhus!!!

Davis is a legit WR#2. Can he play better? Yes. Would Hopkins be an upgrade? Yes. Should Bills still add another WR to push him and/or plan for 2024? Perhaps. Is Davis good enough for 2023? I think so.

I would be fine drafting a WR but I see competition at RT and long term planning for C and LT as a bigger need in the next two rounds.  And that doesn't even address MLB, DT, and edge. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean sure but we have had some awesome offenses. I like the optimism but the rb room leaves a lot to be desired and we need a legit #2 receiver. However without a doubt, it is possibly our best TE room next to mark campbell and Tim Euhus!!!

Im honestly fine at RB.  Cook, Harris and Hines works for me.  That’s a talented room, imo.   Maybe round out the room with another bruiser back on Day 3 or UDFA. 

TE, we may have the most talented room in the NFL with Knox’s potential and the addition of Kincaid.  I’m not saying the best, as it’s all potential, but it’s a filthy room now. 

WR, I’d still like another legit outside receiver.  Kincaid, Diggs, Shakir and Harty will eat up a ton of slot snaps.    Mingo would be a home run .. or Hyatt to give us the speed element.  I know we have Harty, but I need to see him able to make it through a season before I rely on him.  

OL is the only question I have.  If Brown makes the jump, sky is the limit for this Offense.  If he doesn’t … well, I don’t want to think about our OL being an issue … again.   I feel fairly confident with the other spots, along with our depth, and Year 2 of Kromer.   Could use a stud OL piece, as KC, CIN, MIA all seem to have that guy or in KC’s case guy(s) plural.. but not sure we are in range to take one of the top IOL remaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

The question really comes down to 3 things ....

1.) Dorsey / scheme

2.) Can Allen Adapt to a higher % passing game

3.) OL upgrades 

with #1 we have 2 possibly Dynamic TE's that can cause mismatches, but Dorsey has to draw up those X and O's

with #2 Allen likes the long ball but that came with stalled drives, and sacks. I don't want or exepct Allen to give up his forte', but finding and taking the underneath stuff just to keep the chains moving is a place where Allen can improve upon....  this relies a lot on #1 

#3 is really the engine that makes it all work, we have to be much better here compared to last year

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

We still have a mediocre LT in Dawkins, a who knows what at RT with Spencer Brown and a whole lot of interior o-line questions.

Our weapons sure are nice.

Dorsey has a ton of weapons.  Besides the wideouts, he's got TEs and RBs who can catch.  We've got size, speed, and soft hands.  And, for a pass-first team, Harris is a fine starting RB.  

But the OL is below average. 

And then there's Dorsey himself.  Can he design an offense that succeeds despite the shortcomings on the offensive line?  Will he know how to optimize the production of his varied weapons?  Like others, I'm waiting, with fingers crossed, to see.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, wppete said:

If they somehow get Hopkins also this off-season then we would be a one of the best offenses in the NFL 

If the Bills do absolutely nothing the rest of off-season, they would be one of the best offenses in the NFL, lol. 

At this point, I'm out on Hopkins. With the pieces we have, a good RT would be significantly more valuable to this team than Hopkins. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, Process said:

If the season started tomorrow, the offense is already significantly better than last year. We have upgraded LG, Slot WR, WR5, RB and "TE2". Added speed, added a potentially elite weapon. I really like what Beane has done. 

It wasn't a great FA/draft for teams needing a starting WR. So I am good adding Kinclaid and waiting until next year. 

To me though, replacing Brown was a must, not a luxury. Doesn't matter who is running routes if Josh is running for his life. 

Maybe it's coming in round 2. But if we are running it back with Brown, I hope he proves Beane right. 

I agree on Brown.  I am hopeful he makes the leap and fulfills that potential he has - but we can't bank on that.  It would be too much of a roll of the dice w/ everything that's at stake right now.

I do anticipate we'll see OL in 1 of the next 2 picks.

1 minute ago, Process said:

If the Bills do absolutely nothing the rest of off-season, they would be one of the best offenses in the NFL, lol. 

At this point, I'm out on Hopkins. With the pieces we have, a good RT would be significantly more valuable to this team than Hopkins. 

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but after drafting Kincaid, I think I’d rather go WR tonight and be set at weaponry for the ‘23 season / also set up well for the future... forget about Hopkins.. if he goes to KC, so be it. 

Maybe use any money we may have thought about freeing up for DHop’s contract on a vet pass rusher if we can’t meaningfully upgrade the DL. 

1 hour ago, Beast said:

and a whole lot of interior o-line questions.

Connor McGovern is a drastic improvement in pass protection

The Bills are so stacked on offense that the key factor, after JA17, is Dorsey

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We will see.  Many of us had record-setting hopes for the 2022 offense, and things didn't quite work out that way.

- Ken Dorsey had pretty bad struggles in his first year as OC

- Josh Allen wasn't able to stay on the level he played during the postseason

- Gabe Davis wasn't quite ready for the #2 WR role

- Cole Beasley was more important than most realized

- Rodger Saffold was not the upgrade we hoped for at LG

- Spencer Brown failed to take a step forward in development

Our hopes for improvement are pinned heavily on Dorsey figuring things out, and our "low-key" free agent signings being diamonds in the rough.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The last 3 seasons the Bills have had 3 of their best 5 all time offenses. How has that worked out when the games actually mattered?

Our offense generally hasn't been a problem outside of Allen's elbow injury. How much better do we get by adding more pass catchers? If the goal was to take pressure off of Allen, this just puts more on him, imo.

Maybe if we had some players that could win games for us even when Allen wasn't playing MVP ball, that would finally get us over the hump.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

There's enough talent on offense for this team to be extremely good on that side of the ball.  I don't know if we have enough talent at OC to take full advantage.  We need for Dorsey to take a big step up this year.

Dorsey looked like a genius for the first half of last season.  I began the year with huge concerns about the OL - as well as lesser worries about our RB room - yet Dorsey generated tons of points.  I was super impressed.  Then Josh's elbow happened.  But it also seemed like defenses caught on to us.  Opponents sometimes said they knew what we were doing, Gabe's routes were predictable, and so on.  And Dorsey's inability to productively integrate Hines and Cook was worrisome, too.  

But I've heard coaches say that coordinators often improve a lot from Year 1 to Year 2.  I'm hoping.  I wish the OL was better, but Dorsey certainly has weapons at the skill positions.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The last 3 seasons the Bills have had 3 of their best 5 all time offenses. How has that worked out when the games actually mattered?

Our offense generally hasn't been a problem outside of Allen's elbow injury. How much better do we get by adding more pass catchers? If the goal was to take pressure off of Allen, this just puts more on him, imo.

Maybe if we had some players that could win games for us even when Allen wasn't playing MVP ball, that would finally get us over the hump.

Adding another weapon puts more pressure on Allen? OK, I'm Dopey and this has gone way over my head, but, what?

13-3 last year, even with an elbow injury to Josh that limited the types of throws he could manage. Josh injured his elbow during our loss to the Jets. Even with Josh not playing his best, we went on an 8 game winning streak after the injury, before the loss to the Bengals. This would include a playoff win with an inured Josh. We've got the players. Allen was hardly playing MVP ball after the injury. Not sure how you can't see it.

Best?  Only if the O-line is top five, then plays can develop and #17 can pick apart defenses, jmo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.