RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

His WR2 is Gabe Davis. With Kincaid he will have a greater space as will Diggs. This forces nickel coverage and then gives the running game more room. DHop is not coming here both BB and the Cards spoke to it yesterday in a round about way. Don’t forget Shakir would have been rated 6-7 WR in this draft. 

Have to admit, not sure if Davis is good enough as WR2.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Literally everyone would want a gronk tight end but he was one of one. 

Lol we have people literally saying Kincaid is Kelce esque. It works both ways. 

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Have to admit, not sure if Davis is good enough as WR2.

He isn’t, he’s had his chance to prove it last year. 

16 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Mayer is a 3 down capable player. With equal receiving skills. 

The action of catching a ball thrown to them yes they are equal.  The action leading up to that action they are not close.  Mayer is a contested catch Te because he never separated in coverage.  Kincaid is a superior route runner.  Knox will be deployed the same way he has been.

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Literally everyone would want a gronk tight end but he was one of one. 

The name drops are kind of skewing the debate a bit lol I feel like the question is would you rather have a TE that’s an excellent pass catcher/route runner and an ok blocker vs a TE that’s a good pass catcher and good blocker.  For this bills roster and how it sounds like the bills are going to use him, pass catching is vastly more important than blocking.  

Gronk was a freak that could do it all like you said and his only hangup was staying healthy.  So gesicki style vs Gronk style is hugely misleading.  

the scheme change Miami made under McDaniel didn’t really suit gesicki but that doesn’t mean a player of that mold can’t be the focal point of a different offensive scheme 

27 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Where did I say we would regret it? All I said was Mayer > Kincaid. 

Your schtick is getting old. There's a difference between stating your position and running around trying to dog anyone who disagrees with you. Confronted with stats? Those don't count because they don't match my narrative. 

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

The action of catching a ball thrown to them yes they are equal.  The action leading up to that action they are not close.  Mayer is a contested catch Te because he never separated in coverage.  Kincaid is a superior route runner.  Knox will be deployed the same way he has been.

Kincaid’s style makes perfect sense if we are still trying to obtain a WR2. Like brilliant sense. If we don’t draft one or get Hopkins, it’s a bit perplexing. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If we do manage to still get Hopkins. The Kincaid pick makes infinitely more sense and I will get fully on board with it. You go big slot TE hybrid when you have 2 legitimate WRs because it’s nearly impossible to guard such a player with a LB or a bad #3 corner. 

I think the team even in its current state will have no issues creating mismatches and opportunities.  We were after all, a top offense last year.  Health of the team

Will matter.

kincaid is a greater mismatch than almost any other offensive weapon in this draft. And, we addressed a big hole on this team in our TE2.

classic value/need pick.  That’s what happens in a weak draft

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Your schtick is getting old. There's a difference between stating your position and running around trying to dog anyone who disagrees with you. Confronted with stats? Those don't count because they don't match my narrative. 

They don’t count because when you look at stats, you have to weigh them on equal comparisons. 
Im not trying to dog anyone, just simple conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I think the team even in its current state will have no issues creating mismatches and opportunities.  We were after all, a top offense last year.  Health of the team

Will matter.

kincaid is a greater mismatch than almost any other offensive weapon in this draft. And, we addressed a big hole on this team in our TE2.

classic value/need pick.  That’s what happens in a weak draft

Yes, such a mismatch that we got embarrassed by Cincinnati. I don’t see how Kincaid alone fixes that issue without a solid WR2. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

Just looking up some different formations to try and I am curious to see how this would work for the Bills. Considering that we ran a bunch of RPO this seems like something we could do:

image.thumb.png.12b9aefa18b57141110ab0cfa472e8c3.png

The basic play run from the flexbone is known as a triple option, or veer. Often the quarterback first sends one of the slotbacks in motion to the other side. While he is still in motion behind the fullback, the quarterback then receives the ball from the center. Next, the fullback (FB) either takes the football from the quarterback or 'fakes' that he has taken the football. If the fullback takes the football, then he runs straight into the line of scrimmage and attempts to gain yardage. If the fullback does not take the football, then the quarterback sprints parallel to the line of scrimmage with the motion slotback trailing him. The quarterback can either turn upfield or pitch the football to the trailing slotback. Hence the term triple because the fullback is option number one, the quarterback keeping the ball is option number two, and the quarterback pitching to the slotback is option number three. The triple option forces defenses to worry about fullbacks running in the middle of the offensive line and to worry about quarterbacks and slotbacks running to the outside of the line. The decision of who is to carry the ball (which option to make) can either be made before the play in the huddle, or during the play by the QB, who will make decisions based on the position and play of certain defensive players and what they are doing. The quarterback reads the defensive end on the side the play is going to when deciding whether to hand to the fullback or to keep it himself. If he sees the end is committed to stopping the fullback in the middle, the QB will keep it. If the end is staying back to contain the QB on the outside, he will give it to the fullback. If the quarterback does not hand to the FB, he will then read the end to see if he is committed to playing the SB on the pitch or the QB. If he is playing the QB, then he will pitch it to the slotback. If the end is committed to stopping the slotback on the pitch, the QB will take the ball upfield himself.

16 minutes ago, Stenbar said:

He is a freaking blocking machine, runs great routes, drops nothing. He is what I have been wanting the Bills to draft for a TE since before Tony Hunter..LOL..FREAKING CRUSHER

Have not heard one person say he is a blocking machine.   But he excels at everything else. 

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yes, such a mismatch that we got embarrassed by Cincinnati. I don’t see how Kincaid alone fixes that issue without a solid WR2. 

I think particular and individual games have too much nuance to try to build a team around.  The Sabres dove into a team building pit of despair because of a single game (Lucic hitting Miller).  

over the course of last year, the bills were a top 5 offensive scheme.  And that’s with Tommy Sweeney and Quinten Morris as our TE2.  When you add in a pure pass catcher and dynamic route runner, we instantly upgrade a spot which previously wasn’t even staffed with NFL talent.

4 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I think particular and individual games have too much nuance to try to build a team around.  The Sabres dove into a team building pit of despair because of a single game (Lucic hitting Miller).  

over the course of last year, the bills were a top 5 offensive scheme.  And that’s with Tommy Sweeney and Quinten Morris as our TE2.  When you add in a pure pass catcher and dynamic route runner, we instantly upgrade a spot which previously wasn’t even staffed with NFL talent.

For me the playoffs are all that matter. We haven’t done enough mismatching to even get to the super bowl, let alone win it. 

24 minutes ago, Stenbar said:

He is a freaking blocking machine, runs great routes, drops nothing. He is what I have been wanting the Bills to draft for a TE since before Tony Hunter..LOL..FREAKING CRUSHER

iF your talking Kincaid blocking is considered a weakness for him. Which is why he is visioned as a hybrid slot WR/TE for us..... at least early on

Edited by ddaryl

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have seen a bunch of kincaid … including knowing he was a basketball star which hurt his college offers… but basketball players turned TE is my jam

im very impressed with his ability 

I think he’s squarely under a 4.6 with how smooth he is … probably a 4.55-4.58… on a bad day maybe 4.6

I think Beane loves him dual sport guys -

-baseball/football for S and DB (both Hyde and Poyer were high-level baseball players in HS)

-basketball/football for WR and TE

One of the things that made Stevie Johnson so hard to jam on the line were his basketball moves.  Beasley and McKenzie both played basketball - Beasley at 5'8" has video out there of him dunking, McKenzie claims he can dunk but I've seen no proof.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.