RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

The 5 receiver set of Diggs and Davis outside and then Shakir- who I am still high on- in the slot, and then Josh can move Knox and Kincaid around wherever he wants, would make things very flexible. 

Or you put cook or hines instead of shakir.  It's 12 personnel but we can split 4 or 5 out.  You wanna roll nickel? ok we should have size advantage to run... and you  might get a nickel back trying to cover a knox or kincaid. you add an extra backer?  Good luck covering cook and hines with your linebacker.  Create mismatches. 

I look at it like we struggled against blitzes at times last year - we can use a big target to find soft spots and make contested catches.  We also didn't have as much of a game within the red zone, and i think adding a dynamic TE can unlock a bit more of a run game and play action within that spasce.  

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

The moment we jumped in front of Dallas, I figured this was the pick. 

Exactly...Did not have TE on my mind AT ALL outside of Washington...I was on the phone with my Nephew literally telling him I want Washington or Mazi there... I really have no idea why I never thought about Kincaid because we were just talking about no TE's taken to that point, and how weird it was. Then the Bills trade up, and I said to him "Who are they jumping ahead of Dallas for?" Then it hit me immediately... Kincaid...I was mocking to Kincaid to the Cowboys since forever. And I was a little shocked for a few mins...Not gonna lie... B-)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Or you put cook or hines instead of shakir.  It's 12 personnel but we can split 4 or 5 out.  You wanna roll nickel? ok we should have size advantage to run... and you  might get a nickel back trying to cover a knox or kincaid. you add an extra backer?  Good luck covering cook and hines with your linebacker.  Create mismatches. 

I look at it like we struggled against blitzes at times last year - we can use a big target to find soft spots and make contested catches.  We also didn't have as much of a game within the red zone, and i think adding a dynamic TE can unlock a bit more of a run game and play action within that spasce.  

Dude calm down- we still have like 4 months till kickoff. 😀

I'm in agreement that this will be up to Dorsey. I made the terrible mistake of picking Kyle Pitts last season in fantasy, which lead to watching more Falcons games than usual. The take away I had was that atl was trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.  

They took a Jimmy Graham and tried to make him a George Kittle and his supreme  athleticism was wasted trying to learn how to block on the line like a "traditional TE". 

We really just need DK to block down the field  at a Gabe Davis / Robert Woods level and allow him to find open holes and make Dorsey look like an offensive mastermind lol.

Sometimes when I watch KC I wonder how much is Andy Reid and how much is Travis Kelce, every time that guy mysteriously finds himself WIDE OPEN! 

Edited by Pabstblueribbon
  • Like (+1) 1

Just think for a min... if this kid is anything like KC TE Travis Kelce...what that will do for Josh Allen and that Buffalo passing offense.

Also, think of the history of the Dallas Cowboy's long list of top TEs and Buffalo went up and grabbed this kid away from them...simply awesome! 

Now the Bills will look to fill other positions and their needs with the remaining draft. 

Just now, Pabstblueribbon said:

I'm in agreement that this will be up to Dorsey. I made the terrible mistake of picking Kyle Pitts last season in fantasy, which lead to watching more Falcons games than usual. The take away I had was that atl was trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.  

They took a Jimmy Graham and tried to make him a George Kittle and his supreme  athleticism was wasted trying to learn how to block on the line like a "traditional TE". 

We really just need DK to block down the field  at a Gabe Davis / Robert Woods level and allow him to find open holes and make Dorsey look like an offensive mastermind lol.

Sometimes when I watch KC I wonder how much is Andy Reid and how much is Travis Kelcey, every time that guy mysteriously finds himself WIDE OPEN! 

Kelce has some absolutely insane footwork.  He's a slot WR who is also a huge bowling ball, with insane hands and insane ability to highpoint.  He'd be all-pro with pretty much any team assuming they had a QB worth a damn. 

4 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Kincaid could be a monster for us.

You love to see how NFL.com has the Bills and Josh Allen as losers Rd1? I don't understand how people write this crap and get paid?

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-winners-and-losers-from-round-1-of-the-2023-nfl-draft

LoL. That seems as incompetent take as it gets to me. He needs a weapon, he gets a weapon and therefore he is a loser? Yeah that makes sense.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Most likely just joking around as positions tend to give each other crap.

Similar to different branches in the military.

Relax....

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

What is wrong with what Beasley said? He is 5'8 and 165 lbs. He shouldnt ever be compared to a TE

I mean I'm not offended or anything. Generally, he talks too much. He's irrelevant. He could take it all as a compliment that they are using that avenue to compliment his route running etc. JMO

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

What is wrong with what Beasley said? He is 5'8 and 165 lbs. He shouldnt ever be compared to a TE

Sure, if you look at form over function.

Beasley functioned as the Bills best over the middle, zone beating, stick moving, pressure release valve. All while having the highest catch % on the team. 

This seems to be the same role the Bills are hoping Kincaid fills. 

Side note, the year we lost to KC in the AFC championship game. I can't help but wonder how much different that game would have been had Beasley not fractured his damn leg going after 1,000 yards against the Pats in a game that was all sewed up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Trading ahead of Dallas for the second year in a row and picking their guy is absolutely hysterical. The look on their faces in the Dallas war room after when McCarthy is spouting out nonsense to jerry jones is meme worthy

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Kincaid could be a monster for us.

You love to see how NFL.com has the Bills and Josh Allen as losers Rd1? I don't understand how people write this crap and get paid?

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-winners-and-losers-from-round-1-of-the-2023-nfl-draft

That take is especially surprising seeing as though the NFL Network's #1 scout was probably higher on Kincaid than anybody...Jeremiah should give that dude a call. B-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I missed the earlier part of this thread but do people actually think Beane is a bad GM? You can argue he is not the best but to argue he is not easily top 10 is absurd. 

Misses:

Star

Trent Murphy

Epenesa

Ed Oliver at 9

Boogie Basham

Spencer Brown

Not doing anything significant at OL for a long time

Zack Moss 

Trading for Hines and not using him 

Not having any WR's last season and signing Brown and Beasley 

Cody Ford

Trading away Teller

Dumping Hodgins for nothing to keep Jake Kumerow 

Tyler Kroft

Frank Gore, Chris Ivory monstrosities

Drafting 3 running backs in the top 3 rounds in 4 years
Terrell Bernard special teamer in the third round 

Overpaying Dawson Knox

Having McKenzie play way too much 

A bunch of minor misses in Free Agency (Quinton Jefferson, OJ Howard)

Rodger Saffold

Hits: 

Josh Allen (Obviously one of the greatest moves we have ever made)

Diggs trade

Gabe Davis in the 4th

Dane Jackson in the 7th 

DaQuan Jones 

Edmunds 

Taron Johnson 

Mitch Morse 

Beasley 

Dawson Knox (in the draft)

Tyler Bass

Singletary (kind of) 

Minor hits in the draft (Harrison Phillips)

This doesn't sound like the record of a top 10 GM to me. 

Edited by MWK
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

10 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

They drafted Dawson Knox again basically 

Those words you keep on saying, I do not think they mean what you think they mean…,

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm firmly in the "well that's fine" camp on this pick.

I'm not that excited, TEs rarely make a big splash year 1. Maybe it'll make Knox better, I don't know.

I still want Hopkins or a WR investment in round 2.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.