RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

4 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I also said "a position that we needed" to improve on.  There are many more pressing positions of need on this team than at TE.

Drew Sanders, Arkansas at LB was available and would have been a good match with Milano.  And we just passed him up.

Anton Harrison, Oklahoma would have been a great addition to the OL.

Brian Branch, ALABAMA at Safety. 

There was a lot of talent left that we could have gotten and improved as a team.  This pick is not going to make a impact with Dorsey as OC.

We don't even utilize Knox to his full potential.

Just bad drafting choices once again.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b6pamkfirvnbee0qoegs

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Some of the same people in this thread who knocked Mike Gesicki for being a big WR and not much of a blocker are praising Kincaid for being the same. Funny what a Bills jersey will do for the perception of a player. 

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's a fair point, but Kincaid is already a lot better blocker than Gesicki has ever been or for that matter wanted to be.

Gesicki is dreadful. Kincaid is about replacement level as a blocker, and for a guy who's got as little experience at it and is a rookie, that's a lot more acceptable.

Yeah, the thing with Gesicki is that if you consider him a WR then he is just an ok WR. He's a good receiver "for a TE". But wont make the full transition to full time WR.

Kincaid looks like a true WR that was designated to the TE position. 🤞

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

We lost 1 defensive player. We'll get back 2 All pros- Hyde n Miller. We've been a perennial top 5 D under McD. 

EVERY TEAM HAS HOLES.

We got an upgrade on the OL in McGovern 

But this pick allows Buf to add a whole different dimension to the O. In 12 personnel, if the D stays in base, Knox or Dalton will be against a LB, easy W. If they go nickel,  we have a big advantage in the run gm but still have plenty of pass catching options. 

Bottom line we got a playmaker! Who cares if it's a TE, we got another playmaker for 17.. I absolutely ❤️ this pick..

Well, we'll see, nothing you or I say will change anything.  But TEs rarely put up impact numbers as rookies and if we regress this season both Beane and McD are going to be on the hotseat.  

As to the rest, what happens in the regular season has not been our problem, it's been our playoff performances.  The receivers (and TEs) that we have, have largely come up empty in the playoffs other than against bubble playoff teams, Diggs included if not especially, our moneyman seems to disappear come playoff time.  So I'm not sure how throwing another TE into the mix is going to alter that.  

The other thing is that I realize that euphoria is high right now, but we need to look at history as our guide, not simply If's and But's.  If Kincaid posts 500 yards and 4 or 5 TDs that'll be on the high end for rookie TEs in his style.  That's not enough of an impact to keep Beane from suffering a rash of backlash following the season.  

Let's see what our late 2nd and 3rd round picks yield, but it's doubtful, particularly given Beane's track record, that we'll be adding impact players this season there, which is what is needed, Beane needed to hit an A+/homerun draft in terms of laying down some impact play from our rookies this season, and so far that's not the case.  

There was a lot more hope that players like Watkins, Spiller, Zay Jones, and even Cook would provide that kind of impact.  

Again, we will see, but now is the time for talk, and hope, whether rooted in reality or not, I get it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Nothing against Kincaid but my first thought was, we traded up to get Knox's backup???

But I'm warming up to it.  Somewhat.  Like others, I wonder if Dorsey will know how to use him.  It's a different position but it bugs me that Dorsey didn't know how to integrate Hines into the offense last season.  Not sure how creative Dorsey is.  

Part of the Knox usage was that the O-line was a mess last season and they needed him to block, But i do see what you are saying about Dorsey being creative in his play calling, I’m with Shaw66 on this in that Dorsey should be better with a season under his belt 🤞

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Part of the Knox usage was that the O-line was a mess last season and they needed him to block, But i do see what you are saying about Dorsey being creative in his play calling, I’m with Shaw66 on this in that Dorsey should be better with a season under his belt 🤞

It’s also important players like Dalton Kincaid make it a lot easier for office of coordinators to be creative super versatile player

He actually hasn’t been playing football for that long either even with the age that he’s at because he was a basketball player there’s room for improvement

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, faderphreak said:

This was one of my first thoughts when the pick came in last night.  Everyone else was going for the smaller slot guys that seem to make up the bulk of the top rated receivers this year.  The Bills instead went for a 6'4, 240 lb. slot receiver.  After that debacle against Cincy where the Bills were getting bullied at times, they needed to get bigger and stronger.  

So instead of getting banged around and shut down, as has often been the case with our own smallish slot receivers have when the refs decide to swallow their whistles, DK2 will hopefully be much harder to take out of the game and unlike Lil Dirty, be consistent with those catches. 

To NoSaint's point there is a long history of traditional TEs taking a hot minute to get up to speed in traditional TE roles.  I agree that premise that Kincaid was basically brought in for his hands, his ability to run a full route tree, and basically be WR #3.  I've read how he will need work as a blocker but I'm ok with that when I consider that just in size alone he will be harder for many of these LBs to get around than Mckenzie, Bease, etc.  

bingo- 

he may not be the super physical mauler but he’s certainly a more capable blocker than beas or lil dirty, and he can build that part of his game up while still contributing 

• Like (+1) 2

When you first started at your job, were you instantly great at all aspects of the job?  Or did you learn, adapt, and get better based off your experiences?  Same with Dorsey, he will learn, adapt and get better at utilizing this new tool in his took kit.  That's my opinion anyway

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I also said "a position that we needed" to improve on.  There are many more pressing positions of need on this team than at TE.

Drew Sanders, Arkansas at LB was available and would have been a good match with Milano.  And we just passed him up.

Anton Harrison, Oklahoma would have been a great addition to the OL.

Brian Branch, ALABAMA at Safety. 

There was a lot of talent left that we could have gotten and improved as a team.  This pick is not going to make a impact with Dorsey as OC.

We don't even utilize Knox to his full potential.

Just bad drafting choices once again.

We needed to improve at receiver. If he’s the highest rated player on BB’s board then reaching for someone else, especially a LB, is silly. 

The great thing about the draft is that it’s not over after the 1st round. We could still easily add a LB or OL in the next 2 rounds. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree with a previous poster that Quinton Morris is a fine -if wildly underused- TE, so the roster is now set at that position. Barring significant injury, no other player need apply. I also think we’re better at WR than most believe. Therefore, commit the rest of the Draft to OL & DL. If a Wideout they really like becomes available, fine. But we can never have enough solid OL and our DT’s are all 1 year guys. I no longer see a path to trading for DHop, so we roll with who we have and look to improve our lines.

You know, Chand, my real world buddy, Bagel as he used to be known around here (a longtime member here who just hasn't posted in forever), kind of agrees with you. 

He is hoping for some better play and a turnaround by Gabe into, at the very least, a true #2 and he thinks very highly of Shakir's future.

I know, I know...it goes against TSW standing policy to disagree with somebody  and NOT be mean about it, insulting, or even then to give credit to something we may disagree upon.

However, darn it, I am doing it right here and now!  I want more help at receiver, but I get and respect your point.

BTW, if this were a @nucci post and if he was commenting similarly  as I have the entire post would be...

"I disagree, but maybe.  We'll see." 

Word salads can be a such waste of time.  Direct and to the point is always cherished.  Long live ya, Nuch!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.