RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

3 minutes ago, Process said:

I've changed my tune on this pick. At the end of the day we needed more weapons for Josh, and he was the best offensive weapon available.

I would have much rather seen them go with Harrison and get the o line shored up. But can't be mad at this pick. 

It's all on Dorsey and Josh. They didn't utilize Knox nearly as much as they should have last year. Now they have two TEs to feed. They need to figure it out. 

Blame Josh lol. When they won't give him a true WR opposite Diggs 

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Again... I love Knox.. I really do... But this guy is at another level and may be #1 week 1. What some do not understand is, the things you can do with Knox and Kincaid on the field at the same time. 

So weird that a fanbase that watched a full season of red zone struggles would even complain about drafting a good tight end let alone the best one 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Is he giving some of it back?

Hello? He won't get all of it. Please keep in mind I love Knox. Beane ***** up giving him that much money. He's not getting more than next seasons money from that deal. Specifically because of the new kid in town on a rookie contract. Haters can keep coming at me but it seems like you guys can't read the room. Go celebrate yourselves and come at me a year from now please. I don't have a beef with Knox other than his contract.

He got too much. The fix, is in now.

Honestly he wasn’t really on my radar. But I’m quickly warming up to the pick. I get the mismatches, can see how good his receiving ability is, and like that they took an offensive playmaker.

Don’t really see the Beasley/Slot comparisons. Just such different players. Kincaid isn’t getting open as quickly, but he’s going to catch the contested throws and then push for a few more yards.

Overall I like the pick.

Cant find his RAS - anyone have luck?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBob said:

As BB mentioned, they won’t be using him in 12 personal sets. He said, think of it like 11 and 1/2. 

I saw that as well. I keep seeing DK referred to as more of a "big slot". Like I said, I'm interested in seeing how the offense evolves. I'm not overly excited until I can see what they have in mind....but not grabbing the torches and pitchfork either. 

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He will likely be flexed out in the slot so think of him as a bigger Beasley. Bills wanted a player to help in the middle of the field, they just chose to do it differently than most thought.

Can't understand how someone could complain about a guy that could become our version of Kelce or Mark Andrews.

Stop it. He might be a good player someday, but Travis Kelce is the greatest TE of all-time and he's bigger, stronger and faster than this kid by a good bit.

a 6'3" TE doesn't instill fear into anyone. Ask Knox.

• Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

wow good job. im warming up to it after watching film. this is def BPA. does this put knox on the bench more or is kincaid our #3 full time slot? 

im not mad at the pick if i had more confidence in dorsey. im not a fan of how he uses weopons and kincaid/knox combo i feel one is going to end up contributing nothing. if its knox that's alot of cap in the trash. 

No not at all. Dorsey played in a 12 personnel system in college. Knox will be the in line  Y TE now which makes sense because he’s a better blocker and Kincaid will be used in a lot of different ways. Inline(not a lot), in the slot, as an Hback and he’s an athletic nightmare for teams. 

The Bills now can dictate to teams how they’re prepared for. The Bills were an easy study because they ran 11 personnel the highest in the league. Now it forces teams to prep for more packages which isn’t easy when you have Josh Allen at QB. 

The Bills already stretch teams vertically as we all know but what this also helps is now it allows to stretch defenses horizontally and vertically and that makes them very very hard to defend. It’s why I love 12 personnel in general and this pick. 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBob said:

A slot weapon was not a need pick?  Are you serious?

The takes are wild lol…bills had wildly inconsistent slot receiver play and struggled mightily in the red zone.  I know a position group that could kill both those birds with one stone…..lol 

I think people are just very close minded with what responsibilities different positions have. Sure he’s a TE on paper but they could line him up at any wr position based on his skill set. 

• Like (+1) 1

www.nfl.com/prospects/dalton...3-7edd228031c8

Player Bio

Kincaid played just one year of high school football after focusing on basketball (he played for a national championship-winning AAU squad) but was an all-state pick at Faith Lutheran High School in Las Vegas in that lone football season. He signed with non-scholarship program San Diego for 2018, starting three of 12 games played that year and scoring 11 touchdowns (24-374-15.6). Kincaid was a third-team Associated Press FCS All-American in 2019, scoring eight more times and averaging 19 yards a reception (44-835) in 12 appearances. Utah saw his potential and gave him a scholarship for the 2020 season, in which he played five games with one start (made one catch for 14 yards). Kincaid was an honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection in 2021, topping the Utes with eight touchdown receptions (36-510-14.2) and starting 13 of 14 games played. He became Utah's top receiving threat in 12 games (nine starts) as a senior, missing one game with a shoulder injury. Also, he opted out of the Rose Bowl, citing an injury. The 2022 first-team All-Pac-12 selection caught 70 passes for 890 yards (12.7 per) and eight scores, garnering third-team All-American honors from the Associated Press. -- by Chad Reuter

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

Draft Projection
Round 1

NFL Comparison
Zach Ertz

Overview

Move tight end whose premium talent as a pass-catcher will be the primary focus for evaluators. Kincaid is a fluid route runner with the athleticism and play speed to create mismatches against lesser coverage. Impeccable ball skills and sticky hands allow him to tilt 50/50 contested throws in his favor. He lacks the play strength and technique to work in-line, but can handle some positional blocking in space from time to time. Kincaid can manage a more extended route tree, allowing calculating play-callers to open up the entire field and stress coverages. He will need to acclimate to a more physical/athletic brand of coverage, but should blossom into a weapon.

Strengths

Fluid athlete with impressive catch radius.
Gets into routes with good initial burst.
Has enough speed to threaten vertically and across the field.
Sweet feet to break and separate from coverage.
Possesses outstanding ball-tracking and focus as receiver.
Makes well-timed moves for jump-ball victories.
Hands are sticky and sure through contact.
Above average run-and-catch fluidity on the move.

Weaknesses

Liability as a run blocker.
Jarred off of his base by average contact.
Struggles to stay connected to a block for long.
Routes could use better speed variance.
Physical defenders are able to slow his routes.

Edited by muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.