Please Do Not Tip The Selections

CNYfan

38 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

This matter is sort of similar, but like others have said, it seems like no big deal if someone who apparently is multitasking by watching TV AND also surfing the internet and/or social media sites, finds out about a pick a minute or two before Goodell announces it. I mean, the second it "gets out", by any means, people can start discussing it at that point. 

Discuss it wherever you like … just not in the draft thread here for two minutes…

Count me in with the group that feels this is kind of stupid in 2023.

With streaming being delayed, we're all getting the live feed at different times anyway.  Are cable viewers "tipping" selections because they get the video 45 seconds before streaming subscribers?

I'd rather get the news from a Bills fan anyway, as opposed to waiting for the talking heads and hearing it from Goodell.  There's more excitement in that moment anyway.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just wait until tonight and tomorrow when they are like 5 picks behind on TV.  I don't think anyone would have a problem with not tipping picks if they announced them immediately after they are turned in.  The problem is that the NFL and the broadcasts have decided for some reason to wait several minutes after picks are made to let viewers know what they are. 

Some people want to actually keep up with the draft in real time and not broadcast time and I don't see anything wrong with that.  If the picks are made, they are made.  They aren't going to change.  So, let's have them when they are made.  This is a big issue every year because of the lazy approach TV has announcing the picks.  And it's only going to get worse this weekend when the time in between picks is shorter.  There will be times 5-7 picks get made before they are announced on TV.  I can't believe some think this is OK.

42 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

It's your forum, and you can run it however you want.  Your house, your rules.  

That said, this is a pretty dumb rule in 2023.  If it's on social media, it should be fair game for discussion.  People who are still relying on network television, smoke signals, telegram, etc. for their news shouldn't hold the rest of us back.

It's actually the opposite. It's people that are streaming as not all streaming services are synced on the same time. And no one is "holding you back". Discuss away...just do it someplace OTHER than the official draft thread. Start your own thread for it. Hell, start a group text and message each other all night long. Do it on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook or any of the other 5,000 spots online that are open. Asking someone to keep it out of 1 thread isn't really asking for a lot....and somehow some still fall short. 

Didn’t have time to read 4 pages, but is the gist of this: don’t talk about the players who got drafted - in the LIVE DRAFT thread - as some folks might be delayed, streaming, etc?

No. 

I’m in CA, so stream everything Bills. At best, I’m always 30 seconds behind with Sunday Ticket. Sooooo, rather than ask that everyone hold their info, I wait til halftime to check my phone. 

when I’m in the game day thread, I know there will be “spoilers.” And that’s my fault for being in there. Not others’ fault for being able to see WIVB. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Didn’t have time to read 4 pages, but is the gist of this: don’t talk about the players who got drafted - in the LIVE DRAFT thread - as some folks might be delayed, streaming, etc?

No. 

I’m in CA, so stream everything Bills. At best, I’m always 30 seconds behind with Sunday Ticket. Sooooo, rather than ask that everyone hold their info, I wait til halftime to check my phone. 

when I’m in the game day thread, I know there will be “spoilers.” And that’s my fault for being in there. Not others’ fault for being able to see WIVB. 

And that's fine for you as that only has a bearing on yourself at that time. However the majority of people flat out don't want the tipped pick there. I maintain that the simplest solution is just to create a 2nd "uncensored" draft thread that people can go bonkers in and call em and discuss when they wish. 

But people don't want that because it would be about 5 people. See what I mean? A few spoiling it for everyone else that doesn't want it and would still like to discuss the draft as it happens on the broadcasts. 

18 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

John Butler stuck it to Ralph on his way out.

Butler was dead years before the Bills picked Aaron Maybin.

7 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

No. 

Yes, unless you are delayed streaming or stuck in a cave, I dont understand what is the big panic about talking about players picked in a LIVE DRAFT thread.  As if we have people entrenched at OBD leaking inside info here.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Serious question, what does this mean?

Like someone is recording it so we can't say who the pick is?

Or people guessing and saying "Jordan Addison" kinda thing?

I think its that some have delayed feeds and want to both hang out here and watch it on tv at the same time, but people are throwing out names for the one minute before they see the pick called just creates confusion for them instead of anticipation. I can see where that might be annoying if it's something you loved watching

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think its that some have delayed feeds and want to both hang out here and watch it on tv at the same time, but people are throwing out names for the one minute before they see the pick called just creates confusion for them instead of anticipation. I can see where that might be annoying if it's something you loved watching

It also is that some "insiders" tip picks on places like Twitter...often as soon as the card is sent in by a teams front office and they have a source. So the "tip" make make it out sometimes 3-5 minutes before the pick is actually in and ready. Add another few minutes if they cut to commercial. On a night like tonight they may have 2-4 picks out before the first is announced. It gets confusing especially when people just put a name in chat with no context. You may will have discussions about multiple picks, no context, what's coming all at the same time. 

Waiting until the pick is announced gives some order and balance to the conversation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.