2023 NFL draft LIVE thread

Einstein

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes .. and I said I’m not as worried this year as I was last year.  

You just took issue with my tongue in cheek annoyance at the term “pass catchers” and I’m explaining why. 

I think our base offense, as it stands looks like this: 

WR (3) Diggs - Kincaid - Davis

TE (1) Knox

Rotational WR (2) Shakir / Harty 

RB (2) Cook/Harris

Gadget (1) Hines

I foresee the Bills being in primarily 12 personnel disguised as 11 personnel.  

I think it has a ton of potential.  

I’d still like one more legit WR to push Davis & safeguard against Diggs or Davis missing any time. 

Teams will have to pick their poison. Will you play a 4-3 base and ask an OLB to cover Kincaid? Or do you play a 4-2-5 and risk getting gashed. 

Philly has used 12 or as Beane called it 11 1/2 personnel to create mismatches for years.

There are some great explanations here...This article is literally gold: 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/9/1/21403795/eagles-film-room-benefits-12-personnel-zach-ertz-dallas-goedert-tight-ends-contract-philadelphia-nfl

image.thumb.png.015400450916cebf156dc80b2247ad79.png

This instantly puts a defense in a bind. If they decided to keep 7 men in the box, the offense will have a numbers advantage and should be able to find a gap unblocked. If they put 8 in the box you are forcing them to play a single high safety. 

Some other good stuff: 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=566603448626979

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/12/21/18152254/philadelphia-eagles-zach-ertz-dallas-goedert-nick-foles-12-personnel

12_Personnel_Ace_vs._4_4.jpg

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the issue is more that the state media was spitting it out last year when it was baloney. I confess that phrase winds me the ***** up too now for the same reason. Even though the logic of it does actually work with Kincaid.

Idk…. Maybe I just wasn’t paying enough attention to it to notice last year

34 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Those were different risks that’s marijuana use. When you’re Carter and show up at your own draft day fat and out of shape then add to that what’s going off the field good luck with giving this guy a multimillion dollar contract. 

As for Smith he had a great combine but olinemen will engulf him cause he is undersized. 

it wasn’t just weed with moss.  There were character concerns.  Regarding Sapp, the nfl security report allegedly claimed sapp had failed a cocaine test and 6 weed tests (including one at the combine). In 1996, that’s character concern.  Slightly different than Carter, I agree, but still the same basis.  Character.  

Size could be an issue for smith, no doubt.  He’s the same size as Hassan Reddick, the guy he’ll replace in 2024. I think he’s in the perfect position.  He’ll be a rotational pass rusher early on while he gains weight.  He can develop into a problem.  I think he’s a 3-4 OLB but I also think Philly will find a way to use him properly.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

it wasn’t just weed with moss.  There were character concerns.  Regarding Sapp, the nfl security report allegedly claimed sapp had failed a cocaine test and 6 weed tests (including one at the combine). In 1996, that’s character concern.  Slightly different than Carter, I agree, but still the same basis.  Character.  

Size could be an issue for smith, no doubt.  He’s the same size as Hassan Reddick, the guy he’ll replace in 2024. I think he’s in the perfect position.  He’ll be a rotational pass rusher early on while he gains weight.  He can develop into a problem.  I think he’s a 3-4 OLB but I also think Philly will find a way to use him properly.  

They better the level of QBs they will play this year is slightly better than it was last year until the Super Bowl. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.