Vontae Mack, no matter what

Just Jack

The movie didn't put enough pressure on Costner in the movie:

-he's drafting for Cleveland;

-the night before the draft, his secret girlfriend/employee announces she's pregnant, so the late 50 something GM learns he's going to be a father for the first time;

-his father, a legendary football coach whom he fired, dies a week before the draft;

-the owner, a former vampire, implies he'll be fired unless he "makes a splash", basically telling him to take a QB that he doesn't want;

-on the most important day of his career, he's given a 1st day intern who is put at a desk right outside his office;

-his head coach, who he never wanted to hire, is contacting teams behind his back to set up a trade;

-a few hours before the draft, his mother and ex-wife show up with his recently deceased father's ashes, demanding a memorial service on the spot;

-he has to endure a conference call with Russ Brandon.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I hate this movie for no other reason than it memorializes that clown Russ Brandon as the Buffalo Bills GM.  

I don't think its a coincidence that a few weeks after the movie came out, Russ traded for Sammy Watkins.  after the trade, Russ said something like "we wanted to make a bold move".

Eerily similar to "make a splash".

It's an awful movie lol but im so addicted to the sport that I love it anyways.

Wish someone would shoot a full inside view of a day in life of GM. Even if they shot it and held it 5 years, it would be amazing. Those embedded videos are crack.

Actually, anybody know of other teams version of Embedded war room episode? I'd watch every single one

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

The trades were kind of unrealistic (the equivalent of trading Singletary for three firsts) but I enjoy the movie overall. 

The trade was for what was considered the best QB in the draft. Pretty sure teams have gotten more than 3 firsts for that. Look what the Bears got this year and this isn't considered a particularly strong QB class.

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The trade was for what was considered the best QB in the draft. Pretty sure teams have gotten more than 3 firsts for that. Look what the Bears got this year and this isn't considered a particularly strong QB class.

Yeah. I think the bigger issue with the movie is that the 2nd or 3rd team didn’t run to the podium to draft Bo. Or that another team didn’t trade up immediately after he fell to 2 or 3. They made it out in the movie that Bo was the best QB to come out in the draft in forever and was by far the best player in the draft. Someone would have moved up at that point. 

with all that being said it’s great entertainment. Thank you @Just Jackfor reminding me. Just got finished watching it. Even my wife was excited about it and even though I’ve watched it every draft day eve, I believe my wife is now on board with it as well. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I like the part where Seattle trades the pick to Cleveland, and then within a matter of hours Cleveland is fielding trade inquiries from other teams.  Where were the Chiefs, Bills, etc. when Seattle what shopping the pick in the first place?  Was the Seattle GM not connected with those guys on LinkedIn or something?  

14 hours ago, mrags said:

Actually I think the Bills were supposed to be the team but they didn’t want to be used as the main story because they thought it might make them look bad. Idk. 

It was supposed to be the bills you are correct. It was going to be filmed at the stadium. Good ol’ NYS wouldn’t give tax breaks for filming so they moved the story to Cleveland. 

The circumstances portrayed in the movie are absolutely preposterous, but I love watching it.

I love the dynamics between the owner, coach & GM presented - I think that kind of push & pull is probably the most accurate thing, with each party having different priorities.  And who doesn't love "pancake eating motherf****r?"

Everyone here debating the value of the trade picks, and I'm noticing that the Browns owner somehow got from NYC to Cleveland in about 40 minutes.  Google maps says it would take 30 minutes just to get from Radio City Music Hall to the airport.  

did not age well. First ten minutes, Redskins, Gruden, Andrew Luck.. dirty Cleveland, a runningback with a rap sheet,,

Sorry, watching it for the first time in a long time. Getting inspired. 

Chevy Volt at the gas station

Edited by Thrivefourfive

I like bits and pieces, but the end just ruins it for me.

The other GM is the weakest sad sack there.

I mean, how far on tilt does that guy have to be? If he makes that trade he doesn't even make it from the corridor into his office before his owner is there asking for the key to the executive bathroom and discussing the compensation he'll get for being fired.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.