The Bills never got anything for Edmunds. Will that happen again with Oliver?

Tipster19

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I didn’t agree or liked that the Bills traded up in the 1st rd for Edmunds and then just let him walk without receiving some kind of compensation for him. Now there’s Oliver and as far as I can tell there’s been no movement with him on a new contract. I think it’s crazy that a team would invest a 1st rd pick and then they don’t extend him or get anything back for him. A player and/or a first rd pick, these are assets. There’s times that I think that Beane isn’t too shrewd with the Pegulas’ money. I don’t believe that the Bills are going to extend Oliver and I’m ok with that but man get some kind of return for him, don’t just let him walk, the guy was the 9th overall pick for Pete’s sakes! If they already know that they’re not going to keep him then please trade him for something! If they do then hopefully they trade him during the draft so they can improve their 1st rd pick for a good player.

image.jpeg.8d6313d8b06ba273701bff2a958de32b.jpeg

I hope he has a great contract year, like Edmunds.  

People said we were all in for the SB last year - but I see it this year.  Let's get Oliver's best year to help get us there.  The guy can play - he just needs to show up every week.

I read these responses and it only strengthens my point. Edmunds wasn’t good enough to extend and wasn’t good enough to trade but people are apparently satisfied that “we got 5 years” out of a 1st rd pick that we actually moved up in the draft to take?? Do I got that right?? What am I missing here?! I can understand that every draft pick, even 1st rders, don’t always work out but I do expect for the GM to recognize that long before the player’s contract runs out. Letting a 3rd, 4th or a 5th rder go is much more palatable than just losing out on a mid 1st rder altogether. Now here we are in potentially the same type of situation with Oliver. I’m curious, what is the resolution with him? Do the Bills let him walk as well and hope for a compensatory pick or do we extend him? I would like to think that a 9th overall pick should be worth more than just 5 at best average years of service or a possible compensatory pick. If we don’t want to keep him, and that should have been decided long before the end of his contract, then I would like to get something for him in a trade, that’s all I’m saying.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The Bills got several seasons of high volume play on a cheap rookie contract and will likely recoup a 3rd round pick in the trade in. While it's always more optimal for you to hit on your 1st rounders and see them get a second contract with your team...that really isn't bad value for what they got. Had Edmunds signed a low ball 1 year prove it deal and there was no 3rd rounder coming back...then yeah I'd see your point. 

Don't forget the cap space freed up by letting him walk. If you sign him to a big deal you probably lose four other guys including Poyer.

20 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I read these responses and it only strengthens my point. Edmunds wasn’t good enough to extend and wasn’t good enough to trade but people are apparently satisfied that “we got 5 years” out of a 1st rd pick that we actually moved up in the draft to take?? Do I got that right?? What am I missing here?! I can understand that every draft pick, even 1st rders, don’t always work out but I do expect for the GM to recognize that long before the player’s contract runs out. Letting a 3rd, 4th or a 5th rder go is much more palatable than just losing out on a mid 1st rder altogether. Now here we are in potentially the same type of situation with Oliver. I’m curious, what is the resolution with him? Do the Bills let him walk as well and hope for a compensatory pick or do we extend him? I would like to think that a 9th overall pick should be worth more than just 5 at best average years of service or a possible compensatory pick. If we don’t want to keep him, and that should have been decided long before the end of his contract, then I would like to get something for him in a trade, that’s all I’m saying.

You are over thinking it. Many first rounders are busts. Getting 5 years of starter quality football is a decent return.  

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Hopefully we get to reap the benefits of Oliver playing his ass off for a big payday, and from there we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The only way it won't happen with Oliver is if Beane puts him in a package deal to trade up or something along those lines . I was all for them not giving him his 5th year option & trading him to another team for more draft capital but when they did the 5th year all that went away .

There's no way some team will takes salary plus give the Bills a pick in the draft so he will play out his rookie contract & just like Edmunds he will be gone next year .

• Disagree 1

I'm not worried about the draft picks.  When a team is as good as the Bills have been, you can't afford to pay everybody.

I am worried about the salary.  I thought they should have traded Edmunds last year and used that pick to draft his replacement.  I think they should trade Oliver this year even if they can't get much for him.  If both players had played their 5th year elsewhere, that would've saved collectively $20+million on the salary cap.  

Instead, the Bills are $20million over the estimated cap next year according to spotrac.  That's before paying for the 2023/2024 draft classes & filling up an additional 11 or so spots on the roster.  That's also before trying to re-sign any of Daquan Jones, Micah Hyde, Ed Oliver, Gabe Davis, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Dane Jackson set to become Free Agents and all the easy restructures are already done.

I don't see a situation where Ed Oliver is back with the Bills after this year because no matter what happens, they can't afford to pay him.  And I'd rather take the money going to him this year and use it to pay some combination of Jones/Hyde/Davis next year.  Or if we really have to spend it this year I'd rather see it go to Hopkins instead. 

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why do people think that other teams are so anxious to pay/trade for a player that even the Bills themselves don’t want? Never ceases to amaze me. 

I say this quite often... More than a few people here dont seem to understand that in a negotiation, both sides need to be satisfied to some degree with the outcome.. its not all about what suits the Bills best...

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I say this quite often... More than a few people here dont seem to understand that in a negotiation, both sides need to be satisfied to some degree with the outcome.. its not all about what suits the Bills best...

And further, somehow they don’t understand that there’s a phone in Beane’s office. If other teams were dying to pay for Edmunds last year…they have Beane’s number. The same goes for Oliver this year. Could it be that nobody is calling? Hmmm?

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

5 years of starting at MLB is enough. That’s actually good value right there. 

Hated losing Edmunds.  But if you look at the viewpoint of getting great LB play for 5 years cheap, and a 3rd round comp right before a massive contract, it was good value

While driving around a little earlier, listenimg to sports talk, they referenced something from the USA Today linking Oliver to a Detroit Lions trade.  Bills would get a draft pick, and free up 10 mill* for Hopkins. Can't imagine getting thing higher than a fifth round pick for Oliver, given his contract situation.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He’s also been better than Quinnen Williams 3 out of 4 years playing in a rotation 

Williams AV … 5, 6, 6, 17

Oliver AV…. 6, 8, 10, 7

Ed has been steady but also banged up which hurt his production and the rotation

Oh please, cherry picking a trivial number to claim he’s been great. 

12 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

We'll get a third comp pick for Edmunds. Case closed.

I think that next year’s 3rd could be used on Hopkins after the 2nd round completes this year. The Cards want a 2nd rounder but I don’t think anyone will give it to them. Bills jump in with next year’s 3rd and still get Cards to eat some of his contract. If we don’t get our top WR pick in round 1, this is a big possibility IMO.

57 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I think that next year’s 3rd could be used on Hopkins after the 2nd round completes this year. The Cards want a 2nd rounder but I don’t think anyone will give it to them. Bills jump in with next year’s 3rd and still get Cards to eat some of his contract. If we don’t get our top WR pick in round 1, this is a big possibility IMO.

This years 3rd

15 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I didn’t agree or liked that the Bills traded up in the 1st rd for Edmunds and then just let him walk without receiving some kind of compensation for him. Now there’s Oliver and as far as I can tell there’s been no movement with him on a new contract. I think it’s crazy that a team would invest a 1st rd pick and then they don’t extend him or get anything back for him. A player and/or a first rd pick, these are assets. There’s times that I think that Beane isn’t too shrewd with the Pegulas’ money. I don’t believe that the Bills are going to extend Oliver and I’m ok with that but man get some kind of return for him, don’t just let him walk, the guy was the 9th overall pick for Pete’s sakes! If they already know that they’re not going to keep him then please trade him for something! If they do then hopefully they trade him during the draft so they can improve their 1st rd pick for a good player.

All that goes out the window once a player hits the field doesn’t matter where u drafted him anymore. 

I’m starting to think there was something in Frasier scheme that didn’t bring the best out of the rushers we have . The scheme was ultra vanilla hardly no stunts , twists or even adjustments in the way they lined up as a front seemed like the lineman where always bunched up together no separation no wide 9 looks nothing . I hope McD adds some different looks to our dline and throws the kitchen sink so to speak at the opposing Oline. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.