Education in America

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What’s up with all of this Tibs? You seem desperate to pick a fight along religious lines. If you don’t believe in any of this….good for you…I guess. 

Just saw what some of these home schoolers were being taught. Just sad they teach religion instead of real science 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And the race of Adam and Eve figures into this how exactly? 

Because it does not seem to square with me that over 6 thousand years all the races could evolve from two people of the same race

Just now, Tiberius said:

Because it does not seem to square with me that over 6 thousand years all the races could evolve from two people of the same race

But yet almost every group on earth has a similar story. 

Some people say the same about the 6th mass extinction event that started around 10K years ago.  Due to humans

https://bio.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Introductory_and_General_Biology/Book:_Introductory_Biology_(CK-12)/06:_Ecology/6.26:_Human_Actions_and_the_Sixth_Mass_Extinction#:~:text=Unlike previous mass extinctions%2C the sixth extinction is,blamed for over-killing big mammals such as mammoths.

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s impossible to say. I wasn’t there and neither were you. But the moral of the story, whether real or a fable, still holds true today….and THAT is the point of it. 

What is the moral of the story of Noah and his ark? 

55 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What is the moral of the story of Noah and his ark? 

Not trying to be disrespectful but…Have you ever actually read the Old Testament? The entire document tells the same moral story from beginning to end. It is one overarching theme. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am a teacher and I am aware of the fact that many people either believe in straight bible or straight evolution, I though have not met anyone who believes Dinosaurs were alive during humanity, at least to my knowledge. I assume your point is that there are a lot of people who disagree on some basic principles and I was not mocking them but the dinosaurs on the ark thing is one no one I have have ever discussed the topic with has ever brought up.

That's because the biblical purists/evolution deniers have a different explanation: that dinosaurs never existed. That a crafty, prank-prone God put "dinosaur" skeletons on the earth for some reason only a God can understand. 

12 hours ago, Governor said:

IMG_0288.jpeg

Exactly. That's what they think, or pretend to think.

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not trying to be disrespectful but…Have you ever actually read the Old Testament? The entire document tells the same moral story from beginning to end. It is one overarching theme. 

Again, what moral story? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Again, what moral story? 

I’m not trying to be disrespectful. I have idea what faith traditions you come from. It’s a bit difficult to give a sound bite synopsis of entire religion on a message board. 

However, in short, the entire story of the Old Testament is about mankind’s struggles when they veer away from the teachings of God. They keep coming back but then keep veering back away, time after time after time. 

That’s it in nutshell. I hope that helps. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not trying to be disrespectful. I have idea what faith traditions you come from. It’s a bit difficult to give a sound bite synopsis of entire religion on a message board. 

However, in short, the entire story of the Old Testament is about mankind’s struggles when they veer away from the teachings of God. They keep coming back but then keep veering back away, time after time after time. 

That’s it in nutshell. I hope that helps. 

That is a very good one paragraph version. I am impressed because when I first read the question I had no quick version at all 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

good summary. 

I was never a huge fan of the OT myself outside of the Book of Job which is really powerful. But I will say in the past year I've taken more adult bible study classes and I've came to have a much greater appreciation of the OT 

Thanks

When you take the time to read it from the beginning (which VERY FEW people ever actually do), you'll see it's actually a really simple narrative, with an extremely consistent theme. All of it is leading up to the New Testament (Covenant). I've personally never been a fan of dissecting each and every verse, nor do I think it was intended to be read that way. You have to remember that the audience it was written to/for was primarily illiterate.

• Like (+1) 4