Cole Beasley tweets

Buffalo_Stampede

What separated Beasley from other receivers was his ability to read coverage pre and post snap, especially zone schemes. Far more often than not he was able to find open areas for Josh to exploit. If I’m Shakir or any other receiver for that matter, I’m watching film of Beasley 24/7. I’d also bend the ear of Josh to better understand what the QB is seeing as well. Beasley was a former QB who learned the game from that perspective first and it’s no coincidence he was so good at recognizing coverages. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

That would be interesting. However, it seems to me if you are going that direction, you better have a solid oline and I'm dubious we qualify yet even if one is optimistic about the FA signings at guard. (I've been imagining 12 personnel with a player like Washington aiding the oline with his superior blocking.)

Let's put it another way.  If the Bills are NOT going in that direction, then they are making foolish player personnel choices in Cook, Hines and Harty.

I'm not sure you need a more solid OL for quick dump-offs or short slot-type routes that are commonly run by RBs though - little flat, pivot, angle, and swing routes.  I thought part of the point of these was to have quick hits available for when the OL gets beaten.

Edited by Beck Water

26 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

Way too early to say Beasley can’t/won’t play somewhere…

Bflo not wanting him, for now at least, doesn’t impress me in the least.

There’s an old saying that you bring your team to camp and if he’s not on a roster by then he will have to hope a team has injuries necessitating adding him to their roster during the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let's put it another way.  If the Bills are NOT going in that direction, then they are making foolish player personnel choices in Cook, Hines and Harty.

I'm not sure you need a more solid OL for quick dump-offs or short slot-type routes that are commonly run by RBs though.  I thought part of the point there was to have quick hits available for when the OL gets beaten.

That seems a credible point regarding dump-offs and short slot routes. But then I think if you have two rbs on the field a lot, you might want to run the ball and I'm back to thinking they need a better oline. Really, whatever base formation they decide on they need to spend some early draft resources up front. If not in the first, there are second and third round folks (Bergeron, Mauch, Avila, Schmitz, Duncan, and Steen just off the top of my head) that ought to be considered. Pretty sure you agree on the oline if I recall past posts correctly.

Edited by Dr. Who

19 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

Way too early to say Beasley can’t/won’t play somewhere…

Bflo not wanting him, for now at least, doesn’t impress me in the least.

Can we at least agree that no one, in the first month of FA, has wanted Beasley, or wanted him at a salary he is willing to accept?

At this same point in FA,

-10 FA WR have signed for $2M-$5M AAV

-27 FA WR have signed vet minimum type contracts (under $2M)

That would make 37 FA wide receivers at a reasonably economical price-point, who teams have signed in preference to Cole Beasley

Either Beasley has valued himself above the value that other teams place on him

OR

The market has spoken and 32 teams value 37 WR more than Beasley

Sure, that doesn't mean that Beasley won't eventually sign somewhere else, due to injuries; teams not getting what they want in the draft; or Beasley changing the price-point he puts on his services.

Meanwhile, both the WR the Bills moved on from (Crowder and McKenzie) have signed with new teams, albeit for what appear to be VSB (veteran salary benefit) contracts - McKenzie for 1/3 of his contract guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That seems a credible point regarding dump-offs and short slot routes. But then I think if you have two rbs on the field a lot, you might want to run the ball and I'm back to thinking they need a better oline. Really, whatever base formation they decide on they need to spend some early draft resources up front. If not in the first, there are second and third round folks (Bergeron, Mauch, Avila, Schmitz, Duncan, and Steen just off the top of my head) that ought to be considered. Pretty sure you agree on the oline if I recall past posts correctly.

Yeah, it's a valid point that if we have 2 RBs on the field, by jinks we might want to run the ball.   The overarching goal, though, is to create confusion in the opponent's mind as to what the offense will do.  In theory, if the opponent is defending against a vertical threat as well as short quick passes to a receiver with serious YAC potential, it ought to open up the running game even if the OL is not made up of road graders.

You're correct that I share your point that the O-line needs improvement, and that it's not clear to me we've improved it enough by the addition of Connor McGovern and 2 other IOL.  I share the concern of others that Spencer Brown may not, in fact, be capable of playing RT at a high level in the NFL and that the Bills may be reprising the Cody Ford error of giving a drafted OLman 3 years of "rope" to develop.  We really need to quit that; we're at a point where we have to have someone better than Quessenberry waiting in the wings in case Brown fails to take that step (IMO).

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

He may not be wrong, and that’s a problem 

It is a problem if Dorsey is crafting an offense that depends critically upon the contributions of the slot.

But the idea is you take your team into training camp, not you have it assembled prior to the draft.

I also think the Bills personnel decisions indicate a desire to get more pass catching production from the RB position.

6 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

A 3rd possibility…

As I said before, he’s being very selective from what he has said regarding going to a winner and in a city his family is comfortable living in.

Some add 1 + 1 and get 3…aka him ‘being very selective’ means no one wants him.

Time will tell.

In the dating world, you can say "just because I'm not dating doesn't mean no one wants me".  But, if you only consider dating women who are "10s" on your scale, have 6 figure incomes, consider the housekeeping and cooking to be their responsibility, and don't want kids, functionally it may be a distinction without a difference.  It seems like a subset of "Beasley valuing himself above the value other teams have on him" to me.

Edited by Beck Water

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sooooooo as I asked…random terrible team offers him 2 years 12 million, he taking it? 

In a heartbeat.  And I wouldn't blame him.  That kind of money, if properly managed, can carry a family for a very long time without having to work at all.  At this stage of the game, he'd be crazy not to take that kind of offer.  That said, it's a hypothetical that isn't going to happen.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

In a heartbeat.  And I wouldn't blame him.  That kind of money, if properly managed, can carry a family for a very long time without having to work at all.  At this stage of the game, he'd be crazy not to take that kind of offer.  That said, it's a hypothetical that isn't going to happen.

You are 100% correct. I would not blame him at all. And that’s my point. He’s being “picky” because he isn’t getting interest outside of futures type minimum deals. It’s not because he is worried about fit and school districts and all that stuff. He isn’t getting the offers. If he were, he’d be signed already regardless of a team’s super bowl chances. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Well……Beasley assured us a couple years ago that his family is already well taken care of for life, so the money didn’t matter to him

And I have no reason to doubt him.  Spotrac puts his career earnings at $38.8M.  He’s already earned the kind of money that, properly managed, can build generational wealth for a family.

But, I do tend to believe that if Beasley were offered what he likely sees as “fair” compensation he would tend to find the team more interesting regardless of W-L record and city.  After all, he joined the Bills when they had been a 6-10 team the previous season, with a high-ceiling low-floor QB in his 2nd year.  I’m sure he liked what heard about the team’s plans, but I’m also sure the contract he was offered had a lot of influence.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

What separated Beasley from other receivers was his ability to read coverage pre and post snap, especially zone schemes. Far more often than not he was able to find open areas for Josh to exploit. If I’m Shakir or any other receiver for that matter, I’m watching film of Beasley 24/7. I’d also bend the ear of Josh to better understand what the QB is seeing as well. Beasley was a former QB who learned the game from that perspective first and it’s no coincidence he was so good at recognizing coverages. 

This all day. He just got open and was money when you needed 5-8 yards. We don’t have that player and showed last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

This all day. He just got open and was money when you needed 5-8 yards. We don’t have that player and showed last year. 

True.  But also true that it’s not clear Beasley is that player any more.  I admire his belief in himself, though.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't know about 2023, but I do think the 2022 Buffalo Bills would have been better off if Beasley had been there the entire season.  People forget, the reasons he wasn't there all along were mostly of his own doing.  The Bills wanted him. While his impact was minimal upon returning, I think that speaks as much to the teams seeming reluctance sometimes to adapt on the fly, as it does to his abilities.  While I wasn't a big fan of his "controversial" position on COVID bs, I think he was a tremendous asset to the Bills offense. About as sure handed a receiver as we have seen in decades.  I understand the need to get younger at the position, but if they did somehow decide to bring him back to see if he can still compete for a job, I would be pulling for him.  Of course, if they add DeAnde Hopkins this week, that could change things...but as it stands, right now, pre-draft, I feel like our WR corp is different, not necessarily better.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

On 4/24/2023 at 7:04 PM, That's No Moon said:

Expanding on my answer, of you have 2 TEs that can catch and run and also block a little it's a matchup nightmare for the defense. The extra TEs dictate more LBs but then they also need to be able to cover. You can have a TON of play calling flexibility without substitutions so you can trap personnel groups on the field.

Let's see if they picked the correct one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.