Can you recall a time you didn’t watch a Bills game and got the result after the game?

Another Fan

A thread I think might be some fun.  I’m gonna think with the passion fans have on this forum just above everyone watches every last Bills game.  But there’s always those times life can get in the way.  Weddings, funerals, traveling, and work schedules for example.  Or maybe there are times people do keep their word after losses and don’t watch the next week?  

Mine was when I was 9.  The AFC Championship game against the Dolphins in 1992/1993.   My dad didn’t share my love for watching football and the Bills and we wound up going to Newport Mall in Jersey City.  But yeah that day I found out the result because I could see in Nobody Beats The Wiz (I think) the team was celebrating on the TVs for sale after the fact.  Didn’t get the score but that’s all I needed to know.  

Theres others but the magnitude of that game is why it still stands out 30 years later in my mind and I recall that day. 

Do you have any? 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 games for me.  The first was back in the 90's.  I was in Mississippi and couldn't watch.  It was against the Dolphins (regular season game), Bills lost.  Second game was due to work, also in the 90's and also against the Dolphins, same result.  Third game was 2008.  Was at the hospital for a family member that didn't make it.  It was against the Jests, Bills won.  I had that game on the DVR to watch as a distraction for when I would get home from the hospital and needed not to think.  Of course, the game was on in the waiting room and I stayed away from the TV since I knew I was going to watch it when I got home.  My brother in law ruined it for me when he came up to me and said "your Bills won".  Mind you, I told him I didn't want any updates on the game beforehand.  D*ck move on his part.

Those are the only games I recall missing since 1989. 

Sort of what you mean, but my favorite/worst example of this was back during the dark times, in the Monday Night season opener against New England**** in 2009.

I had to board a plane that evening, can't remember to where, and I sat in the boarding area watching everything I could as long as I could. They were getting to last call for boarding when Freddie scored on the excellently called and beautifully executed screen pass to give the Bills an 11-point lead with just over 5 minutes left in the game. At that point, I boarded the plane with feelings of joy and hope, knowing I wouldn't be able to know the results until we landed.

By the time we landed, it was past midnight, and the arrival airport was dark and mostly abandoned. There was a TV on in the middle of the terminal so I stood there and waited for the score scrawl at the bottom. When I saw the final was 25-24 Pats****, I nearly ***** my pants right there in the airport.

I walked out of the airport in a daze. In retrospect, I am so glad I didn't have to watch that collapse in real time.

Second best (but really the best) was the other season opener against New England****, the one in 2003. Had to go to a friend's wedding and we were again on a plane the way back during the game. I didn't hear a thing about the game, and found out after we landed that the final was 31-0. That was a sweet feeling.

Edited by Rubes

Actually i do that quite a bit because i live out of the area & my job takes me on the road to places that are dominated on the TV by other teams so i have to wait to find out the scores or if it is on TV i have it record the out come & watch it so i can see the good stuff for myself .

Seeing as i live north of Nashville now this area is the Titans domain so like last year when the Bills had a game that could determine where they would line up in the play offs in the AFC & the Titans were out of it they still play the Titans games no matter what which sucks but i get it ...

• Like (+1) 1

Almost every game from 2010 to 2019!

I moved to CA before the 1993 season. I went to a bar to watch all the games for many years. Started taking each of my two kids when they turned 8 weeks old (1998 and 2001). Made friends there that I still have today and my kids are still friends with their kids. But, by the time my son was about to turn 9, he was involved in youth sports and I started doing a lot of volunteer work on weekends for youth soccer. Also, the Bills Backers groups I had been involved with weren't doing much anymore and the football was not very good. I got DirecTV and Sunday Ticket. I DVRed every game, and watched later on Sunday evening. It's very easy in So Cal. to not know what the results of a football game are, you actually have to search to find out (or have notifications turned on from BuffaloBills.com, TheAthletic, etc.). 

In 2020 I was working near Syracuse, the Bills were good again, and I started watching live again and now wanted to watch live. Got Seasons tickets and watch all games live again. Now I'm back in CA and trying to decide what I'll do this year for the games I don't go to. Get the Ticket? Watch on delay again? Or, most likely, go to a local bar and watch with Bills fans!

6 minutes ago, T master said:

Actually i do that quite a bit because i live out of the area & my job takes me on the road to places that are dominated on the TV by other teams so i have to wait to find out the scores or if it is on TV i have it record the out come & watch it so i can see the good stuff for myself .

Seeing as i live north of Nashville now this area is the Titans domain so like last year when the Bills had a game that could determine where they would line up in the play offs in the AFC & the Titans were out of it they still play the Titans games no matter what which sucks but i get it ...

Living out of the area makes you a prime candidate for Sunday Ticket or finding a Bills Backers Bar like I did for years.

Just now, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Living out of the area makes you a prime candidate for Sunday Ticket or finding a Bills Backers Bar like I did for years.

I think i'd rather find a Bills backers bar & spend my money on beer plus being in a bar with a bunch of Bills mafia would be much more like being at the game & i could bring some of my Bills gear to make it official .

When there's a Bills game & you have beer, wings & a few dozen mafia members it don't get no better than that !! GO BILLS !!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, T master said:

I think i'd rather find a Bills backers bar & spend my money on beer plus being in a bar with a bunch of Bills mafia would be much more like being at the game & i could bring some of my Bills gear to make it official .

When there's a Bills game & you have beer, wings & a few dozen mafia members it don't get no better than that !! GO BILLS !!!! 

I did the Bills Backers club in Columbus Ohio from 1992 to 2000. It was a good experience.  I dont drink but the food was good. Not sure if it is still there. It was more restaurant than bar.

The Bills Backers club in Portland is a small bar with no real food and no kids allowed.  Walked in once and walked out. Terrible venue. 

Sunday ticket and my 60 in screen is the only way I'm watching a game that I dont attend. 

The only one I can recall was the 2011 home opener vs. the Raiders...was in the air coming back from west coast and didn't learn all the craziness that transpired in the final minutes until after the game ended.  A 3-0 start in 2011 ends in a 6-10 disaster.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201109180buf.htm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.