Matt Miller (ESPN+) new 7 round mock draft........who would you have selected if it fell this way?

BADOLBILZ

• BADOLBILZ changed the title to Matt Miller (ESPN+) new 7 round mock draft........who would you have selected if it fell this way?

Terrible draft.  I mean, just to tie this in with the Hopkins threads, this is another reason if I'm Beane, I am doing everything I can to pull off the trade for Hopkins. 

This WR class is well below average and there isn't a single guy that will come in this year and affect our offense the way he will if he stays healthy.  Not only will this allow us to fix the WR position for the next couple years, but it kicks the can down the road until next year when we will need to restock the WR position.  God willing, it will be a much better WR class.  It should be.

This also allows us to draft the best players available that potentially will have more of an impact on our team this season.

(And for the record.....I like Saldiveri but I think he might be able to be had in the 4th)

Edited by sven233

31 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Wow this is unlikely to be anywhere how the Bills pick. Why? because this guy doesn't get the needs of this team. Brutal

In fairness...........Miller noted that he was told by one GM in the AFC that the Bills are the most likely team to trade out of the 1st round because they only have 6 picks and have more needs than that.

So last year at this time the rationale was that the Bills were loaded and didn't have much roster space for draft picks........so they should draft to address specific positions of need.

Now the perception of some GM's is that they have a lot of needs.

Needs come at you fast in the NFL. :lol:

The truth is you should never use the draft as a hole-patching exercise...........it's a process not just an annual event.........trust the process and pick the best players and especially at premium positions early.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I like the first 3 picks a lot. I would take that now if I could. I don't know enough about the round 4 and beyond players to say if I like those picks.

I'm surprised by how many people have grown to hate Quentin Johnston as a prospect. Feels like early in the process he was the clear #1 WR, and now he's a guaranteed Kevin White level bust. I understand the body catching and the hands. But everything else about him gives you true WR1 potential. The Bills have needed a YAC receiver that can play outside since John Brown fell off a cliff. Out of the realistic options, to me Johnston is the ideal 1st round pick for us. Fills a need, great upside, immediately adds a play style that doesn't currently exist on the roster. What am I missing?

Addison is the opposite of how I feel about Johnston. Everyone else loves him as a potential pick for us. Me, I struggle to see a high ceiling and question how well his body type will hold up in the pros. It feels like a very safe pick, like the player he is in year one is the player he'll always be. I guess that's fine... just not my cup of tea in the 1st round.

Not as much as to say on Martin and Saldiveri, just that I know I want us to draft a replacement for Poyer or Hyde this year and I know that I want OL drafted somewhere in the mid rounds. If you took Bergeron in the 2nd round and a safety prospect in the 3rd round I'd be good with that too.

At no time was Johnston ever considered the number 1 WR in this draft.

Johnston comes with enormous risk and higher ceiling than many in the draft. I'm not sure he's worth the risk. Depends on who is available. The pick is a scary one in my eyes. 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

We need a tackle.  

Right. But whoever did this mock describes him as a GUARD

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

We need a tackle.  

Right. But whoever did this mock describes him as a GUARD.

I like the consideration of Bergeron, but assume people want to replace Brown,not Dawkins ,so why the concern about Bergeron not being a LEFT tackle?

13 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

No Saldiveri is not a tackle in the NFL he’s either a G/C 

People are starting to see what I’ve been saying about Quan Martin and Saldiveri for awhile. Both steaming up mock draft boards . Don’t love the first round. Like 2 and 3 don’t see how battle is necessary and the last two are Meh players 

Saldiveri is not a guard YET. Played one game at RG in college,a couple at LT and the vast majority at RT.

3 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Saldiveri is not a guard YET. Played one game at RG in college,a couple at LT and the vast majority at RT.

Yea there are a lot of guys who have never played Guard that end up playing Guard in the NFL. It’s a pretty easy transition for a College guy most of the time 

Personally, I'm not a fan of projecting an Olineman at another position and dont care so much about "versatility ". The Bills seem to like that in their linemen,so you end up with mediocre vets like Van Roten and Quessenberry. 

My philosophy is,if you need to replace,for example, Brown at RT,draft a guy who has already proven himself at RT in college. 

Sure,its good to have RESERVES that can play a couple positions in case of injury. 

I'm good with an OLineman within our first 3 selections.

Edited by Herb Nightly

19 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of projecting an Olineman at another position and dont care so much about "versatility ". The Bills seem to like that in their linemen,so you end up with mediocre vets like Van Roten and Quessenberry. 

My philosophy is,if you need to replace,for example, Brown at RT,draft a guy who has already proven himself at RT in college. 

Sure,its good to have RESERVES that can play a couple positions in case of injury. 

I'm good with an OLineman within our first 3 selections.

Well you already admitted it then. Projecting mock drafts, like Millers, aren’t about what you want. It’s trying to find fit, value, and the way NFL teams think. 

I'm not necessarily a fan of the picks, but for all the "too many DBs" folks - we need to replace 2 All-Pro Safeties asap. The ones we have are unlikely to make it through this season.

I dont like the players at those picks, but dont be surprised when we go Safety early.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not necessarily a fan of the picks, but for all the "too many DBs" folks - we need to replace 2 All-Pro Safeties asap. The ones we have are unlikely to make it through this season.

I dont like the players at those picks, but dont be surprised when we go Safety early.

Problem is.......pretty poor safety class.

Again.........this is why you don't reach for needs..........next year you could find a better safety in round 5 than round 2 this year..........that kinda' stuff happens.

Get the best haul of talent/positional value that you can and address the 2024 needs you fell short of in UFA next offseason.

The quality of safety you could get in round 2 is not likely to be better than Taylor Rapp..........and he signed for $1.7M.     The drop in street value from very good to adequate at safety is precipitous.   Same with slot CB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.