DHopkins would cost a 2nd round pick...would you do it?

Rubes

Curious to see what people think of the price tag...  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend this year's 2nd rounder to get DHop?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why isn't this in the 216 page Dhop thread already open?

'Cause I wanted to do a poll to see where people stand on the issue of a 2nd rounder for DHop. Sorry if that offends you, but I don't think burying a poll in the middle of a 216-page thread will really give us a sense of where most people stand.

If you'd prefer yet another thread on someone we should or should not draft, maybe I can better serve you next time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Process said:

I don't think he's worth a 2nd rounder with his contract. That's why he's still a cardinal, no one is giving up that much for him. 

But when you consider Beane's track record in the second round, and that

this draft class sucks, I would do probably do it. 

That's a good reason for him not to trade.

At least he can blame it on the poor class.

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

He’s about to be cut.  He’s not even worth a fourth round pick.  

It only takes one dumb GM............just like when O'Brien traded him to Arizona for peanuts in the first place...........but on the surface his trade value would appear to be equivalent to what 2023-2024 salary the Cardinals would eat, IMO.

I'd think the dollar value of a late 2nd round pick would be around $20M today based loosely on the Osweiler trade of 2018.

At $34M in guarantees required to match what is due if Arizona doesn't release him........his market just as a free agent would be limited to just a few teams anyway.  

F yeah. Tell me who could possibly fall in the late 2nd to the Bills that could contribute as much as Hopkins? I doubt anybody and even if there was a player, who says Beane would even draft him? They rolled the dice on Diggs and it paid off immensely. If Beane gets the chance then he will most definitely pull the trigger. He’d be stupid not to. Buffalo is in win now mode. Grab the highest rated G in the 1st and an athletic project MLB in the 3rd, let AJ Klein hold it down the first several games. Bank on the 2nd & 3rd year players to improve and you have a SB team.

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

A quick look at the Bills recent success in the 2nd round supports this 100%.

Let’s look at WR drafted in the 2nd round the past few years… AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Tee Higgins, DK Metcalf, George Pickens … I’m sure there are more.

Are we really going to pretend that the only way to get an all-pro WR is to trade away our draft picks to get one? Or is it that you guys are completely done with Beane and think he can’t find us a good WR?

This is insane.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

F yeah. Tell me who could possibly fall in the late 2nd to the Bills that could contribute as much as Hopkins? I doubt anybody and even if there was a player, who says Beane would even draft him? They rolled the dice on Diggs and it paid off immensely. If Beane gets the chance then he will most definitely pull the trigger. He’d be stupid not to. Buffalo is in win now mode. Grab the highest rated G in the 1st and an athletic project MLB in the 3rd, let AJ Klein hold it down the first several games. Bank on the 2nd & 3rd year players to improve and you have a SB team.

You’re dreaming.  Hopkins is over 30 and coming off a drug suspension.  He’s likely to fall off a cliff, much like Julio Jones and AJ Green did at his age.  And of course there’s the fact that he’ll soon be released if no GM is dumb enough to pay what Cards are asking.

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Not sure Diggs and Hopkins can coexist.  Diggs is our #1, we don't need another.  Hopkins isn't a #2, he is a lead dog.   I would not make this trade myself, even if the Bills had the cap space.  (if you are not the lead dog, the view is the always the same they say)

They can coexist - they’re close friends and want to win firsr

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

He’s about to be cut.  He’s not even worth a fourth round pick.  

And then you’ll have to be the highest bidder, but could it POSSIBLY be worse than his current contract? Why give up a significant draft pick, unless it’s been negotiated on all three sides and everybody is content? 

• Like (+1) 2

This team needs to hit on draft picks and can't pay superstar salaries to everyone. Plus, if you think this team is in trouble now, wait until next year when 4 DTs are no longer on the roster. You might get one DT worthy of playing from the draft. Someone will have to come from free agency. If you pay the salary of a Hopkins type player, how the heck are you going to fill a roster the following year. Beane has been playing fast and loose as a GM. He can't continue down that road without major sacrifices. Sacrifices that I just don't think are worth it, even for Hopkins.

In fact, it could be said that Beane has all ready gone too far with the huge contract to Von Miller. You add in Josh's contract and there are very few ways to fill a  roster. They aren't the only ones getting paid well either. I get that we want superstars. We just can't pay superstar salaries to everyone. The draft is the answer. Not Hopkins.

5 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

This team needs to hit on draft picks and can't pay superstar salaries to everyone. Plus, if you think this team is in trouble now, wait until next year when 4 DTs are no longer on the roster. You might get one DT worthy of playing from the draft. Someone will have to come from free agency. If you pay the salary of a Hopkins type player, how the heck are you going to fill a roster the following year. Beane has been playing fast and loose as a GM. He can't continue down that road without major sacrifices. Sacrifices that I just don't think are worth it, even for Hopkins.

In fact, it could be said that Beane has all ready gone too far with the huge contract to Von Miller. You add in Josh's contract and there are very few ways to fill a  roster. They aren't the only ones getting paid well either. I get that we want superstars. We just can't pay superstar salaries to everyone. The draft is the answer. Not Hopkins.

The flip side of that argument is if you don't have one of the top 10 DT's in football your DT room probably looks a lot like everyone else's.    

Beane has paid dumb money to some DT's in recent years that weren't any better than league minimum guys........and yet the defense has been good.

People like to use other SB contending teams strengths as examples of how it has to be done but they don't want to point to the Eagles signing two DT's off the street in November to shore up their near league worst run defense or the Chiefs winning the SB with a bunch of rookies starting all over the defense.......none of which may ever become "stars".  

You simply don't have to be good everywhere to win a Super Bowl.

The Bills have probably been a bit too concerned about having established talent everywhere and not enough on having difference makers on offense other than Allen and Diggs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

'Cause I wanted to do a poll to see where people stand on the issue of a 2nd rounder for DHop. Sorry if that offends you, but I don't think burying a poll in the middle of a 216-page thread will really give us a sense of where most people stand.

If you'd prefer yet another thread on someone we should or should not draft, maybe I can better serve you next time.

Yep and if another DHOP thread damages a person’s life beyond repair, don’t read the fkng text. Why are people so fkng sensitive to one more thread on a message board? Grow up

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

That would be the type of of you make if you think you are one player away.  To me the team is in a position where the prior window has probably passed, it needs to get younger and should be thinking about a 2-3 year plan to create a new window.  

You think we’re 2-3 years away? We lost a mlb. We lost 3 games last year. We’re one player away if that. 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Let’s look at WR drafted in the 2nd round the past few years… AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Tee Higgins, DK Metcalf, George Pickens … I’m sure there are more.

Are we really going to pretend that the only way to get an all-pro WR is to trade away our draft picks to get one? Or is it that you guys are completely done with Beane and think he can’t find us a good WR?

This is insane.

My point was that the Bills don't draft very well in the 2nd round.  D Hop is a proven commodity that reminds me of the big step forward our offense took back in 1990 with the addition of Loften.

7 hours ago, Beast said:

And then compete with 30 other teams to bring him in.

LOL. Hopkins gets to pick where he goes now due to him having to rework his contract - and he’ll get to pick where he goes if he gets cut. No change. He wants to play for a contender so the list is short. Same list today as it is after he gets cut. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.