DHopkins would cost a 2nd round pick...would you do it?

Rubes

Curious to see what people think of the price tag...  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend this year's 2nd rounder to get DHop?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

A second rounder for some peace and quiet on here? Sign me up! 

It will be nothing but loud noises until his contract is reworked if it happens.  And then the loud noises will continue about how it's a good/bad contract.

Only if you figure out a way to make it work for 2-3 years on a contract. Not giving up a 2nd for a one year rental. He would likely need to sacrifice money for a chance at winning a Super Bowl. I guess it depends on what his goal is for this stage of his career at the end...make as much money as he can or win a Super Bowl.

Likely will have to pick one or the other.

Edited by Big Turk

He would be a great addition, but I don't like the philosophy of going "all-in" and giving away long term assets for an expensive veteran. At least getting Von Miller didn't cost us a draft pick.

Instead of worrying that our "Superbowl window" is closing, we should draft and develop young talent so that we can have sustainable success.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I never thought once lack of weapons is why we lost to the Bengals, we lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball, I like Dhop but how does he change protecting Allen and getting to the QB? What have we done to upgrade the DL in case Von takes longer then we would like? Have we done enough for the OL? 

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's actually a legit point.   The Bills have a long history of terrible 2nd round drafting.

Which,  IMO, is likely due to a mindset where they tend to feel like they nailed their first round pick after months of fixating on it and now they can use round 2 to fill a "need".     The list of "we needed a" in round 2 and they turned out to be bad is LONG.

The exceptions.......where they get studs in round 2........seem to be the years when they either view everything as a need(usually year 1 of a regime) or years where they don't have a 1st round pick.    Guys like Schobel/Henry and Dawkins are the former.........Thurman, Cowart and Darby are the latter.    I expect Epenesa to have a 10 sack year in his walk season and become the best of Beane's 2nd rounders........and also a player picked in a year without a 1st.    

The real question is was Boogie Basham a need pick or not.

I said no, only because of his contract.  I’m not sure how the Bills take that on without making significant changes to the roster.  

But I do think that NFL GM’s often overvalue draft picks.  Imagine if the Bills, not the Rams, made a trade for Von Miller in 2021.  Also Beane doesn’t have the best track record with 2nd round picks.  

Either way, I trust what the Bills will do but the prospect of adding a player like Hopkins in exchange for a 2nd round talent who turns out to be a Cody Ford, AJ Epinesa, Boogie Basham, or James Cook sounds pretty good to me

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A poster on here explained that the PED he took is not the kind players take for general performance, it's the kind you take to recover faster from a hamstring injury. If that's true I wouldn't worry about his level of play falling off a cliff just because he will be tested more now.

When he came back from his suspension he played great. The Cardinals still tried to make him the focal point of the offense which tells you what the coaches thought of him after seeing him everyday in practice. It wasn't a Julio Jones to the Titans situation where they actively ignored him in their game plans. Hopkins' biggest issue was crap QB play and I think he checked out at the end of the year.

Anyways fans always come up with reasons not to obtain great players. Von Miller was past his prime when the Rams traded for him. Christian McCaffrey was injury prone when the 49ers traded for him. OBJ was washed up when the Rams signed him. Kadarius Toney was injury prone and a malcontent when the Chiefs traded for him. Stefon Diggs was a problem child when we traded for him. All of these players made their teams substantially better. Eventually you just have to accept the risk and make the move that puts your team over the top.

As you know I only asked the question whether we can expect Hopkins to continue to play at the level expected of him. And as a GM you have to ask these questions and in fact use them as arguments in the negotiations.

When you look at comparables and the fact that Arizona is desperate to dump his contract, I simply wouldn't trade #59 for Hopkins. I think I'd be in the 4th-5th round range. Arizona has little or no leverage here.

12 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It will be nothing but loud noises until his contract is reworked if it happens.  And then the loud noises will continue about how it's a good/bad contract.

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The real question is was Boogie Basham a need pick or not.

Whatever the rationale was.........that was simply a bad scouting evaluation.    

I don't scout the draft from A-Z anymore but I really couldn't fathom how anyone saw his lack of traits and over-seasoned body of work and viewed him as a first or second round pick in that draft.   

He is the perfect example of a guy you take in the 4th or 5th and if he turns into a 30% snap guy for you then you did OK.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I voted no, but I’d be open to it if it’s cap friendly for the next two years. 

I voted yes. If we can get 2 solid seasons out of him as a WR2 then it's more than worth it. JSN & Flowers are likely gone and Addison/Johnston have some issues. Not a fan of Hyatt or Downs.  Restructure his contract and I'm down. 

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Hopkins for the 59th pick you mean?

One comparable is that 13 months ago Allen Robinson signed a 3 year $46.5 million contract with the Rams.

Two days ago the Rams traded Robinson to the Steelers. The Rams will pay $10 million of the $15 million owed to Robinson. The Steelers and Rams swapped 7th round picks with the Rams moving up to #234 and the Steelers moving down to #251.

I think the Bills could squeeze the Cardinals for a better deal than #59.

JMO.

Do we know Hopkins is still great?

In 2021 he missed 7 games to a hamstring and then an MCL injury.

Last year he was suspended 8 games for PED use and had a career low 11.2 ypr.

How good will he be in his 11th season (he turns 31 in June) and possibly adversely affected by the loss of PEDs?

I'm not saying he won't be a great player but it's reasonable to ask how good he'll be.

These are all valid concerns.  I think Dhop is substantially better than Robinson so a 3rd & 5th would be the minimum Arizona would want. And I think the Bills would require the Cardinals to pu at least half his contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.