DHopkins would cost a 2nd round pick...would you do it?

Rubes

Curious to see what people think of the price tag...  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend this year's 2nd rounder to get DHop?

• Yes
    • No

24 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

I would do a second for Hopkins in a heartbeat. Take the TE  Washington in the first 

Allen

Diggs, Hopkins, Davis, Shakir, Harty, Sherfield

Knox and washington

cook, Harris, Hines 

that would likely be the best offense in the league

I notice the offensive line is not part of your offense.  Could be a problem...

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Why are you trying to keep picks in this draft? If ever there was a draft in which to give away picks it is this one. 

True but I still won’t give them a 2nd for him. Jalen Ramsey is a much better player then Hopkins and he went for a 3rd . I would offer them for 4th this yr and a 5th next. 

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

How would Diva Diggs feel about Hopkins becoming a Bill? He wasn’t happy last year despite being Top 5 in targets.  Bring Hopkins on board and his targets will drop. 

He wasn't happy when the offense struggled. It had nothing to do with his own targets.

27 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Do we know Hopkins is still great?

In 2021 he missed 7 games to a hamstring and then an MCL injury.

Last year he was suspended 8 games for PED use and had a career low 11.2 ypr.

How good will he be in his 11th season (he turns 31 in June) and possibly adversely affected by the loss of PEDs?

I'm not saying he won't be a great player but it's reasonable to ask how good he'll be.

The fact that he hasn't played a full season since 2020 is very significant to his value, IMO. 

We've seen sudden and unexpected drop-offs from similar 30 year old HOF talents like Julio Jones and AJ Green in the past few seasons following missed time.......and despite the fact that they seemed to produce well for the parts of seasons that they had played.

That greatly reduces Hopkins value, IMO.

If he were coming off a 100 catch and 1,200 yard season........sure he's worth a 2nd round pick despite his age.........and the acquiring team probably takes on the whole contract and re-works it.

The potential for a Titans/Julio Jones situation in a trade has to be very much in mind for any interested GM.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I'd trade ANY of Beanes 2nd round pick for Dhop.

That's Cody Ford, AJ Epenesa, Basham, and Dalvins family member.

Those first three are agonizing, especially considering the players still on the board at this point, or the players they could have drafted if they had packaged the pick and moved up (or down, for that matter). Ford, Epenesa, Basham. Wow. 

I’ve said this before but I still feel like Beane and the cardinals new GM have a potential agreement in play that if Beanes guy (could be one of the top 4 OTs or Addison or Flowers) isn’t there then he’ll just trade the 27th pick to AZ for Hopkins and the 34th pick. It’s the same value as a 2nd round pick. Just my gut opinion 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Only if they’re paying the majority of his contract

good point....... and i might add AZ can't pay his contract. New team assumes the contract as is.

Hopkins can restructure any time and lessen the cap hit. Or even restructure with Cards first to lessen it for team getting traded to. Which is i assume, is what you meant.

And Hopkins said he is open to a restructure, so his movement/trade is available. Interesting though also is speculation that Cards may just release him eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Absolutely yes with zero hesitation. People overvalue the draft way too much. Get the guy we know is great right now and try to win the Super Bowl.

I actually think it’s the other way around.

People overvalue veteran players they can sign for just as expensive in Free Agency. If you hit on a draft pick, you get 4-5 years of the top player for cheap AND you can go get a DHop type guy for $20M/yr in free agency.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I'd trade ANY of Beanes 2nd round pick for Dhop.

That's Cody Ford, AJ Epenesa, Basham, and Dalvins family member.

It's actually a legit point.   The Bills have a long history of terrible 2nd round drafting.

Which,  IMO, is likely due to a mindset where they tend to feel like they nailed their first round pick after months of fixating on it and now they can use round 2 to fill a "need".     The list of "we needed a" in round 2 and they turned out to be bad is LONG.

The exceptions.......where they get studs in round 2........seem to be the years when they either view everything as a need(usually year 1 of a regime) or years where they don't have a 1st round pick.    Guys like Schobel/Henry and Dawkins are the former.........Thurman, Cowart and Darby are the latter.    I expect Epenesa to have a 10 sack year in his walk season and become the best of Beane's 2nd rounders........and also a player picked in a year without a 1st.    

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

It's actually a legit point.   The Bills have a long history of terrible 2nd round drafting.

Which,  IMO, is likely due to a mindset where they tend to feel like they nailed their first round pick after months of fixating on it and now they can use round 2 to fill a "need".     The list of "we needed a" in round 2 and they turned out to be bad is LONG.

The exceptions.......where they get studs in round 2........seem to be the years when they either view everything as a need(usually year 1 of a regime) or years where they don't have a 1st round pick.    Guys like Schobel/Henry and Dawkins are the former.........Thurman, Cowart and Darby are the latter.    I expect Epenesa to have a 10 sack year in his walk season and become the best of Beane's 2nd rounders........and also a player picked in a year without a 1st.    

Add Woods and the legend of Kiko - first year of new regime. Both were decent picks even if Kiko didn't quite fulfill his potential and Woods ended up elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, cba fan said:

good point....... and i might add AZ can't pay his contract. New team assumes the contract as is.

Hopkins can restructure any time and lessen the cap hit. Or even restructure with Cards first to lessen it for team getting traded to. Which is i assume, is what you meant.

And Hopkins said he is open to a restructure, so his movement/trade is available. Interesting though also is speculation that Cards may just release him eventually.

AZ can convert his salary to a bonus and then execute the trade.   So yes, they can pay his contract.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Last year he was suspended 8 games for PED use and had a career low 11.2 ypr.

A poster on here explained that the PED he took is not the kind players take for general performance, it's the kind you take to recover faster from a hamstring injury. If that's true I wouldn't worry about his level of play falling off a cliff just because he will be tested more now.

When he came back from his suspension he played great. The Cardinals still tried to make him the focal point of the offense which tells you what the coaches thought of him after seeing him everyday in practice. It wasn't a Julio Jones to the Titans situation where they actively ignored him in their game plans. Hopkins' biggest issue was crap QB play and I think he checked out at the end of the year.

Anyways fans always come up with reasons not to obtain great players. Von Miller was past his prime when the Rams traded for him. Christian McCaffrey was injury prone when the 49ers traded for him. OBJ was washed up when the Rams signed him. Kadarius Toney was injury prone and a malcontent when the Chiefs traded for him. Stefon Diggs was a problem child when we traded for him. All of these players made their teams substantially better. Eventually you just have to accept the risk and make the move that puts your team over the top.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

honestly I’m not as down on the line as most are. I think we upgraded at guard over saffold. Morse and Dawkins are good. Bates is average but it was also his first year as a starter and I am expecting brown to be better actually having an offseason this year. Allen is part of the reason they don’t always look great as well. He holds the ball to make the big play too often rather than checking it down. If he checked down more the line would look better. 

I actually would be surprised if the bills draft a lineman in the first 3 rounds. Their starters are set (Beane isn’t benching brown this year). They already have young guys with upside in Doyle and Brown. Proven starter with edwards and Quesenberry as backups and a guy they obviously like in Boettger. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

A poster on here explained that the PED he took is not the kind players take for general performance, it's the kind you take to recover faster from a hamstring injury. If that's true I wouldn't worry about his level of play falling off a cliff just because he will be tested more now.

When he came back from his suspension he played great. The Cardinals still tried to make him the focal point of the offense which tells you what the coaches thought of him after seeing him everyday in practice. It wasn't a Julio Jones to the Titans situation where they actively ignored him in their game plans. Hopkins' biggest issue was crap QB play and I think he checked out at the end of the year.

Anyways fans always come up with reasons not to obtain great players. Von Miller was past his prime when the Rams traded for him. Christian McCaffrey was injury prone when the 49ers traded for him. OBJ was washed up when the Rams signed him. Kadarius Toney was injury prone and a malcontent when the Chiefs traded for him. Stefon Diggs was a problem child when we traded for him. All of these players made their teams substantially better. Eventually you just have to accept the risk and make the move that puts your team over the top.

Well yeah........but you don't get suspended the first time you get caught in the NFL.

Frankly,  I think it's obvious that most players are doping to some extent.   Just look at MLB where testing is strict........they can't keep players on the field despite being a non-contact sport.   Without PED's the NFL doesn't exist.   The player turnover would be outrageous.   But those who are doing it to the extent that they get caught........even though the NFL goes out of their way to make it easy to avoid detection........those players might be pushing the envelope with PED's.

And once you get caught.........THEN you are under scrutiny and subject to testing that the average player is not.

It's a reason for concern.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.