DHopkins would cost a 2nd round pick...would you do it?

Rubes

Curious to see what people think of the price tag...  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend this year's 2nd rounder to get DHop?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Reference his TD catch against the Bills with White, Hyde & Poyer all mugging him. He was one of the top receivers in the league, with Allen throwing him the ball, he could be again.

A serious answer to a serious question by two forum members not noted for being serious.  Further signs of the End Times. 😳

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

How would Diva Diggs feel about Hopkins becoming a Bill? He wasn’t happy last year despite being Top 5 in targets.  Bring Hopkins on board and his targets will drop. 

He wasn’t happy losing in the playoffs….

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

How would Diva Diggs feel about Hopkins becoming a Bill? He wasn’t happy last year despite being Top 5 in targets.  Bring Hopkins on board and his targets will drop. 

Diggs on board. Dude wants to win don’t see a problem if they brought Hopkins onboard. However, I would play hardball with the Cardinals who could be forced to release him anyway. Obviously need to be concerned about KC who needs a WR probably more than the Bills.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hopkins for the 59th pick you mean?

One comparable is that 13 months ago Allen Robinson signed a 3 year $46.5 million contract with the Rams.

Two days ago the Rams traded Robinson to the Steelers. The Rams will pay $10 million of the $15 million owed to Robinson. The Steelers and Rams swapped 7th round picks with the Rams moving up to #234 and the Steelers moving down to #251.

I think the Bills could squeeze the Cardinals for a better deal than #59.

JMO.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Absolutely yes with zero hesitation. People overvalue the draft way too much. Get the guy we know is great right now and try to win the Super Bowl.

Do we know Hopkins is still great?

In 2021 he missed 7 games to a hamstring and then an MCL injury.

Last year he was suspended 8 games for PED use and had a career low 11.2 ypr.

How good will he be in his 11th season (he turns 31 in June) and possibly adversely affected by the loss of PEDs?

I'm not saying he won't be a great player but it's reasonable to ask how good he'll be.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 5

I would do a second for Hopkins in a heartbeat. Take the TE  Washington in the first 

Allen

Diggs, Hopkins, Davis, Shakir, Harty, Sherfield

Knox and washington

cook, Harris, Hines 

that would likely be the best offense in the league

• Like (+1) 3

I voted yes, because it's a given that DHOP's cap hit would be greatly reduced for Buffalo, otherwise the trade would be impossible anyway (couldn't fit him under the cap).

2 scenario's I could see:

1. Bills trade pick #59 for DHOP - ARI retains salary and DHOP restructures to make contract cap friendly.  Bills then trades #27 for a low to mid 2nd rounder along with a 3rd or 4th.  In the 2nd they draft their future starting MLB

2. Bills trade pick #27, and pick #130 (our 4th) for DHOP,  #34 and pick #180 (6th). ARI retains salary and DHOP restructures to make contract cap friendly. Bills pick our future starting MLB at #34 or a stud TE (maybe even after another trade down into the middle 2nd) and the best available player at #59 (TE/MLB, DT or OL)

6 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

I would do a second for Hopkins in a heartbeat. Take the TE  Washington in the first 

Allen

Diggs, Hopkins, Davis, Shakir, Harty, Sherfield

Knox and washington

cook, Harris, Hines 

that would likely be the best offense in the league

Love this as that TE is ridiculous and should be available, but no MLB picked in the 1st 2 rounds keeps us pretty vulnerable there.  Of course, with the offense you propose Defense wouldn't matter as much and we could always sign one post 6/1 cuts

Edited by Turbo44

Straight up?  No.

They'd have to eat most of Hopkins 2023 salary to consider a second round pick.

When you start talking about higher than comp-pick level value I think you start looking at adding later pick swaps or maybe expanding the deal to include Isaiah Simmons($1M cap hit) for a bit more.........a player they are not going to pick up the 5th year option on, IMO.   

But if they release Hopkins outright they have to eat none of that $19M+.

This is why most in the NFL think he will be released.

Hopkins agent can talk all he wants about re-working his contract but either way it's going to cost the acquiring team at least $34M...........I can't see him taking some big pay cut after he just had a very productive partial season last year.   Maybe NEXT year he has to take a big pay cut but not right now.

53 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Nope. Not happening for a second round pick. Not with that contract. My caveat is that if AZ wants to eat a huge portion of his salary this year then I’d change my answer to yes. But I do not think they will do that. Fifth round to get it done or I wait until they have to cut him.

And then compete with 30 other teams to bring him in.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Absolutely yes with zero hesitation. People overvalue the draft way too much. Get the guy we know is great right now and try to win the Super Bowl.

Exactly. 

46 minutes ago, sven233 said:

That may be what they want (if it is, the asking price has already dropped a bit from where it was several weeks ago if the reports are true), but that probably won't be the final price.  I've thought all along a 3rd (and maybe a late rounder) gets the deal done as long as they eat some of the contract. 

If I'm Beane, I find a way to get this done.  Yes, picks are important, but they are meant to find impact players for our team.  No matter who we draft this year in rounds 3 or later, they won't have near the impact that Hopkins would for us over the next couple of seasons.  Heck, depending on who we take in the 1st round, they may not have nearly the effect that Hopkins would on our team.  He immediately takes our WR corps from slightly above average to one of the best in the league if everyone stays healthy.  No WR in this draft will do that.  No other player in the entire draft can make that happen, including the top WRs there.  So yeah.....find a way to get this done for a 3rd or later, still be able to draft the best players available with your first 2 picks and this draft will be a success.

Somehow move and shake in the draft to get Hopkins,  draft Jack Campbell, an interior O-lineman, and BPA after that. 

Pass.

The Bills must focus their resources now on both protecting their star player, Allen, and giving him an offense and coordinator capable of utilizing all of the field.

A few months ago I wanted Hopkins, but now I think it would be almost pointless to do so and to once again divert resources from  dramatically improving the weakest link on this team, the offensive line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.