Your life hacks

Royale with Cheese

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

A quick and easy way to peel the skins off of garlic cloves is to simply put the cloves in a glass jar and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.

The skin will completely come off of the garlic. 

You could probably make money having this double as an exercise routine on the Shopping Network. 

On 4/24/2023 at 3:07 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Fazzoli's is better 🤷‍♂️

If you ever want a on-crack-like, ADHD-like, 24-7-hyper-insane dog? 

Get a mini-aussie.  

I got that covered! 

4-year old Sheltie

2-year old Mini-Aussie

Sounds like I have 48,382 dogs in my house. No squirrel will ever enter my 30 acres without letting me know!

Yup, but there's a downside to those types of dogs.  Just rescued my Aussie/jack russell mixes after they broke through the electric fence again tonight..  Coyotes howling and bears in the area.  But they do bark a lot.

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah that's great for trimmers.  An electric mower would be dead by the time I am 1/3 done. Highest cost of batteries vs. cheap fuel.

I am not sure. Small yard yeah.

I have left full tanks in motors for years and they start. Most of the time it's a stretch kill cable to spark plug. They got that stuff buried now, can't see if it's grounding out. 

But fuel... Totally full. Leave no air space for condensation to form...

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/lawn-mower-storage-why-draining-fuel-tank-mistake/

Whatever works for ya.  I've got about 1/3 of an acre, a long narrow lot.  In one shot, it can take between 40 minutes to an hour.  You're right about the battery. The mistake I made was that it came with a smaller battery capacity.  And a replacement battery (or an extra) is about the cost of the mower itself.  So the battery lasts a half hour. Recharge time is about 2 hrs.

But for me, it has its good side.  Inching past my 60th year, any exercise is welcome.  And since the battery run time is so limited...I pick up my walking pace to see how much I can get done in one shot.  Either do it in the morning, then the evening and finish the next day.  So I get 2 brisk walking sessions of a half hour or so.

its lightweight, light enough to hang on a wall, but powerful enough to mulch.  And I love the one lever height adjustment. And as I said, starting it is a stress reliever.

With my luck and small engines...I've gone electric.  Electric mower, electric trimmer, electric blower, even a small electric chain saw from Harbor Freight, which is perfect for the falling limbs in my yard, I get a ton of them.  Literally.

As I said, whatever works for people.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Yup, but there's a downside to those types of dogs.  Just rescued my Aussie/jack russell mixes after they broke through the electric fence again tonight..  Coyotes howling and bears in the area.  But they do bark a lot.

Ooooooooooooooh, trust me. I know. They are escape artists and love to explore. 

My mini-Aussie escaped my fiance's back yard THREE TIMES. She has a 6-foot high wood fence and the first time, he managed to find a slit between old pickets and squeezed out. I nailed it back in place with 5-6 extra nails. He then finds he can chew through the older part of the fence, escaped. I patched it with plywood. 3rd time, he jumped up higher than the gate latch and managed to unhook the latch. Escaped. Thankfully, I found him each time. 

My Sheltie on the other hand? He never left her yard. He was like "Nah, I'm good bruh. I get food here." 

Edited by ArdmoreRyno
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CookieG said:

Whatever works for ya.  I've got about 1/3 of an acre, a long narrow lot.  In one shot, it can take between 40 minutes to an hour.  You're right about the battery. The mistake I made was that it came with a smaller battery capacity.  And a replacement battery (or an extra) is about the cost of the mower itself.  So the battery lasts a half hour. Recharge time is about 2 hrs.

But for me, it has its good side.  Inching past my 60th year, any exercise is welcome.  And since the battery run time is so limited...I pick up my walking pace to see how much I can get done in one shot.  Either do it in the morning, then the evening and finish the next day.  So I get 2 brisk walking sessions of a half hour or so.

its lightweight, light enough to hang on a wall, but powerful enough to mulch.  And I love the one lever height adjustment. And as I said, starting it is a stress reliever.

With my luck and small engines...I've gone electric.  Electric mower, electric trimmer, electric blower, even a small electric chain saw from Harbor Freight, which is perfect for the falling limbs in my yard, I get a ton of them.  Literally.

As I said, whatever works for people.

I have the pole saw and hedge trimmer from Harbor freight.  Trimmer is great.  Constantly adjusting or putting the chain back on the saw.  Do u have that problem?  any suggestions?

9 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Ooooooooooooooh, trust me. I know. They are escape artists and love to explore. 

My mini-Aussie escaped my fiance's back yard THREE TIMES. She has a 6-foot high wood fence and the first time, he managed to find a slit between old pickets and squeezed out. I nailed it back in place with 5-6 extra nails. He then finds he can chew through the older part of the fence, escaped. I patched it with plywood. 3rd time, he jumped up higher than the gate latch and managed to unhook the latch. Escaped. Thankfully, I found him each time. 

My Sheltie on the other hand? He never left her yard. He was like "Nah, I'm good bruh. I get food here." 

ours have strange personalities.  Thunder, guns and fireworks scare the hell out of them but they'll growl at other dogs twice their size, chase deer at top speed and protect our house and us like their life depended on it.  Affectionate, stubborn, loyal and a pain in the ass all at once.  and they say owners choose dogs like themselves...

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, redtail hawk said:

ours have strange personalities.  Thunder, guns and fireworks scare the hell out of them but they'll growl at other dogs twice their size, chase deer at top speed and protect our house and us like their life depended on it.  Affectionate, stubborn and loyal and a pain in the ass all at once.  and they say owners choose dogs like themselves...

'

Maybe accurate! 

I got him because I had my Sheltie and felt bad leaving him alone all day when I would go see clients. He would spend all day outside at my house just waiting for me to get home, so I got the mini-Aussie to give him a friend. Now my Sheltie has a friend and every so often, worst enemy. The mini is really aggressive and I hate it. He will let me fiancé's kiddos ABUSE him. The will lay on him (hugging him), pull his hair and ears... he doesn't do anything aside from trying to lick them to death. SWEET dog. Not to other dogs though. 

Yea, I have deer on my land as well (no bears, yet, thankfully) and he will go NUTS when he sees them. Usually have to go into the woods next door to find him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Are you single and ready to mingle and just had a great first date with someone you met on a dating app? Report their account for in-person issues so you limit their dating pool and you can keep them to yourself.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I have the pole saw and hedge trimmer from Harbor freight.  Trimmer is great.  Constantly adjusting or putting the chain back on the saw.  Do u have that problem?  any suggestions?

It does seem to do that.  But when I use it..I tighten the bolt  and test the adjusting screw to the chain before each use..It cuts down on it loosening.

Its not built like a $300 or $400 chainsaw, but Im not a lumberjack or cutting down forests.  Like I said, most of the limbs I have to cut are 4 to 6 inches.  But I've had to cut some that were as much as 18 inches thick and i was surprised how well it did. 

And...Harbor Freight doesn't get enough credit for this.  On the first one I had...I think the chain gear went bad.  I took it into Harbor Freight.  The cashier punched up my phone number and said I had 2 months left on my service agreement.  She said, "leave this one here..and go grab another.." and told me the aisle number.  When I got back, she asked if I wanted the service agreement for $2.00 or so. She said the 2 year period would begin on that day.

No receipt, and an extra 2 years for $2.00.  I can handle that.

• Like (+1) 1

If you have a septic tank that has to be pumped out frequently, consider extending the drain field.

We have a septic tank for our 2500 sq ft house with originally three ~ 30 ft drain lines, and we had to get it pumped out every 18 months or so. During renovations in our backyard 5 years ago, we added three more 60 ft drain lines, and since then the system worked flawlessly.

Edited by DrW

My life hack, 

Keep your living overhead as low as you can. Pay off all of your debt as soon as possible, save and invest your disposable income intelligently, and retire ASAP!

Most Humans die by the age of eighty five, and the last five or ten years aren’t that great, don’t F K around, get out of the rat race as soon as you can and enjoy your limited time on this planet. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 2

Some population experts believe there are only about 1,000 American couples who have been married for at least 75 years.

Philip, 94, and Carmen Nunez, 92, got married in April 1948. They met at a block party in New York City after World War II.

The couple says the secret to a long marriage is living and a whole lot of love.

One hell of a hack....

On 4/25/2023 at 6:16 PM, Bad Things said:

A quick and easy way to peel the skins off of garlic cloves is to simply put the cloves in a glass jar and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.

The skin will completely come off of the garlic. 

They make hard boiled egg peelers like that.  Just add a few drops water with the egg.  Works well:

EggPeeler.thumb.webp.e9f1c45b7aecff208d2e883e3857f4ee.webp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.