4 Detroit Lions suspended for gambling violations

Chandler#81

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He wasn't cleared by anyone.  He just wasn't charged.  Big difference. Also, several teams knew about the allegations before draft day.

(AP): "Executives from two different teams told The Associated Press they became aware of Araiza’s involvement in an incident during the draft process, but neither person knew the extent of the allegations", meaning all the sordid details.

He wasn't charged by anyone.  The poster said we "drafted a rapist punter" when referencing our dark side of the franchise.  I don't care that 2 other teams heard something, the fact remains, the Buffalo Bills did NOT know of the allegations on draft night and then willfully drafted him.  Like most the world, they found out after the draft.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He wasn't charged by anyone.  The poster said we "drafted a rapist punter" when referencing our dark side of the franchise.  I don't care that 2 other teams heard something, the fact remains, the Buffalo Bills did NOT know of the allegations on draft night and then willfully drafted him.  Like most the world, they found out after the draft.  

And then we found out that the statutory rape charge was bogus and he was cleared of it, and by lying about that, the rest of her allegations had no merit.  And at the civil trial we'll probably find out he wasn't even at the house when the gang rape occurred, if it gets that far (at least as far as he is concerned).

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

And then we found out that the statutory rape charge was bogus and he was cleared of it, and by lying about that, the rest of her allegations had no merit.  And at the civil trial we'll probably find out he wasn't even at the house when the gang rape occurred, if it gets that far (at least as far as he is concerned).

he wasn’t “cleared” of anything. That would require his day in court.  

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Suspects are “cleared” by the police (and DAs) all the time, when they decline to bring charges or drop pending charges. You don’t need a “not guilty” verdict after a trial to be cleared of something.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Quote from the DA in the Araiza case: "Ultimately, prosecutors determined it is clear the evidence does not support the filing of criminal charges and there is no path to a potential criminal conviction," the district attorney's office said in a statement. 

If that's not "cleared", I don't know what is.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What court?  The allegations didn't even merit charges, much less taking him to court.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, 17islongenough said:

I'm curious on why some are suspended for 6 games while the others are suspended for a year. 

From the article the 6  game suspensions were for betting from team facility and their bets were on some college games.  The indefinite suspensions were assessed for players that bet on NFL games again from team facilities.  So the betting on college games was not gonna damage the shield as much as a bet on an NFL game does.  The indefinite can apply for reinstatement for the next years season so it's called a 1 yr suspension.

However it can be permanent if the player fails to take any steps the league requires of them.  If a player was a truly addicted gambler that can't stop he'd never play again.

Edited by AuntieEm

• 3 weeks later...

I love the sport of football & the Bills - but my goodness is there any limit to the hypocrisy of the NFL regarding gambling. They are in bed with the gambling industry - their profits are greatly enhanced by people gambling on their games - yet feel they can act surprised when issues like this crop up. 

image.png.393034c464199151d9c666fe0c3397de.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I love the sport of football & the Bills - but my goodness is there any limit to the hypocrisy of the NFL regarding gambling. They are in bed with the gambling industry - their profits are greatly enhanced by people gambling on their games - yet feel they can act surprised when issues like this crop up. 

They need to be beyond strict regarding betting on NFL games….. but players not being able to place a bet on non NFL games while in a team Facility is beyond stupid.  

Anyone know what this rule is in place for?  What does it protect?

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:41 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly why does the NFL care about that so much when they don't care about women abusers? 

The league makes BILLIONS from Gambling.  Hypocrisy 

You answered your own question. They are protecting that revenue by not allowing even the appearance of thrown games. They don't make a dime on domestic abuse

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Agreed and if I remember correctly they avoided having a team in Vegas for the very reason that it could compromise the game.  Yet here we are with non stop advertising for sports books.  It’s sad, I’m watching good friends blow money they don’t have on this.  

At least when they had to go to the off track wagering or bookie, it limited how often they would gamble.  Now they’ll gamble on literally anything all the time, it’s pretty wild to watch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.