Josh Allen says he needs to make changes to his game: 'I can't continue to do this'

Nephilim17

Hey, I looked at page one, did a "search" and couldn't find this (it it exists, apologies and please delete). 

Two notable quotes:

""I know this sounds crazy, but I'm getting older," Allen said, via the team's website. "It's like I can't continue to do this. I know when I'm using my youth I feel like I can, but over the course of my career, I'm going to have to learn to adapt and change."

"At the end of the day, it's just being smart with the football, smart with the body, and understanding situational football really better," Allen said. "If there's a third down where we got to get it, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it. But if it's a second and 10, I got 9 yards to go, no need to put the shoulder down and try it. We can get it on third and 1 with our players and trusting the guys around me. And if not, so be it, we'll put Von Miller back on the field and let him go to work too."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-josh-allen-says-he-needs-to-make-changes-to-his-game-i-cant-continue-to-do-this/

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"......because sooner or later some defender is going to put his helmet on my knee when I leap over them.  That and knowing that it's OK to throw the shorter 9-yard completion on 3rd and 8 is OK too.  Lastly, I have to add that I'm not going to spend my career running around making out-of-structure plays as I escape a pass rush because the coach and GM undervalue OL and some of the guys we have can't sustain a 2 second block. "

• Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

""I know this sounds crazy, but I'm getting older," Allen said, via the team's website. "It's like I can't continue to do this. I know when I'm using my youth I feel like I can, but over the course of my career, I'm going to have to learn to adapt and change."

Is he talking about football here or his personal life ? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

I’m glad he is realizing this, now it’s his job to follow through on the field.

Its Beane and McDermotts job to get him a RT that can block, a WR that can catch the ball when Diggs is covered and a RB that can get short yardage (maybe Harris if he stays healthy).

If they do that for him, Josh won’t feel like he has to be Superman every play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, In Summary said:

"......because sooner or later some defender is going to put his helmet on my knee when I leap over them.  That and knowing that it's OK to throw the shorter 9-yard completion on 3rd and 8 is OK too.  Lastly, I have to add that I'm not going to spend my career running around making out-of-structure plays as I escape a pass rush because the coach and GM undervalue OL and some of the guys we have can't sustain a 2 second block. "

"Also, if we dont draft offense in the first two picks of this upcoming draft, I am going to be upset and I will make sure this season is a failure.  I already concede that Patrick Mahomes is the best quarterback, and get mad at the 2017 draft when the Bills decided to trade back for 27 and a 2018 first instead of picking him.  White and myself are an obvious downgrade to him, so its a shame that I have to lead the team that made such a poor decision"

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  So much for all the posters criticizing McDermott and Beane for saying the same thing.  Josh is getting older in football years

and needs to adjust his game slightly.  He will have to adjust more in the future.  This is good news to my ears!

I agree, now we just have to hope Josh actually learns to takes the check down to the RB when when its there, its about successful high percentage plays, mix in the short stuff and the run correctly and Josh will go to the next level of success.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

At least he made a Super Bowl.

So can Allen. And he’d definitely jump on his own fumbles. 

This is great that he’s realizing what he needs to do to have a long career. Hope he can do it because it’s tough going against your instinct. His is always looking for contact because he’s a big physical guy. 

Edited by 90sBills
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  So much for all the posters criticizing McDermott and Beane for saying the same thing.  Josh is getting older in football years

and needs to adjust his game slightly.  He will have to adjust more in the future.  This is good news to my ears!

McDermott has successfully taken the first step to screwing Allen up. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.