Tua says he considered retirement

Alphadawg7

Didn't see this posted...interesting.  Says he learned how to fall, but had considered retirement and had talks with his family on it.  Ultimately, it seems his main motivation is to play long enough so his son knows what he is seeing when watching him play.  Focused on learning how to fall to try and protect himself more, but that is easier said than done when it comes to real live action in a game where you often don't have a choice in how you fall or your head hits the ground.  

Based on his comments here, I think it is safe to say that if he can't shake the concussions that retirement is probable from him.  Which would be the best choice for him and his family to avoid long term issues, so hope it doesn't come to that for his sake.  It was hard to see how bad he was getting hurt last year with those head injuries.  Never want to see that for anyone.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36235862/tua-tagovailoa-says-mulled-retiring-learned-how-fall

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, Kiva said:

If he was smart he’d retire. But he’s not, he likes abuse. 

If he was smart he would absolutely, 100%, sit out this entire upcoming season.  Everyone on Earth who knows something about his problem will agree with that.

He should THEN weigh his choices and probably decide its best to retire.

He doesn't care if he makes his money from his K or from his insurance policy; cash is cash.

9 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It's like Marv used to say, "The second you start thinking about retirement... you'll be sitting with them... right here, right now."

Or something like that.

Man I'm getting old... 

No, Marv was noted for:

"They took the sails right out of our wind."

"The team played with a lot of character today."

and

"They're killing me, Whitey!"

I think...🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Well at least a whole new helmet has been designed and approved cause of what happened to him. I wonder if Josh will wear the new Tua Helmet as well.

Allen should have worn a better 'helmet' last year, apparently...🤨

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Allen should have worn a better 'helmet' last year, apparently...🤨

It's crazy cause I totally missed all the news about this that came out in January. Probably cause right after the bills lost the playoff game I took about a month of from looking at any sports news and even stayed off this forum for a week.

So anyway, if Josh got caught the night before the Bengals came, had his house wrecked by Brittany and police called to his home....he probably got little sleep and was mentally drained. This story would explain the Josh we saw on the field that game.

They need to get a martial arts instructor to teach Tua how to fall backwards without hitting his head.  I took Hapkido lessons at a local YMCA when I was a teenager and they taught us how to fall in every conceivable manner without hitting your head. (Yes, I could take Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris in a street fight)  Every class that was part of the warm ups.  You practice it over and over until it just happens naturally.  It's not rocket science.  The concussion from Milano was completely avoidable

Edited by Inigo Montoya

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

the night before the Bengals came, had his house wrecked by Brittany and police called to his home

Was this a thing, or a rumored thing? Any credibility to this? I typically try to avoid following this stuff, but the night before the game? Ugh...

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Didn't see this posted...interesting.  Says he learned how to fall, but had considered retirement and had talks with his family on it.  Ultimately, it seems his main motivation is to play long enough so his son knows what he is seeing when watching him play.  Focused on learning how to fall to try and protect himself more, but that is easier said than done when it comes to real live action in a game where you often don't have a choice in how you fall or your head hits the ground.  

Based on his comments here, I think it is safe to say that if he can't shake the concussions that retirement is probable from him.  Which would be the best choice for him and his family to avoid long term issues, so hope it doesn't come to that for his sake.  It was hard to see how bad he was getting hurt last year with those head injuries.  Never want to see that for anyone.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36235862/tua-tagovailoa-says-mulled-retiring-learned-how-fall

The “learning to fall” premise is flawed.  He can try to tuck his chin all he wants but most of the time he’s not going to have any control with how his body hits the ground - especially when other players are on topic of him.

It’s different in WWE as the wrestlers (who also tuck their chin) know when then are going to fall and have a high degree of control of their body.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.