Around the NFL 2023

T&C

imo... he is an idiot for trying to proceed any further. Get into something football related but don't take anymore hits.. because you have to know they are coming. From Rotoworld:

Tua Tagovailoa said he considered retirement after suffering multiple brain injuries in 2022. 

Tagovailoa, 25, sustained at least two, possibly three concussions during the 2022 season, including one that left him motionless on the field. “Yeah, I think I considered it, you know, for a time, having sat down with my family, having sat down with my wife and having those kind of conversations,” Tagovailoa said. “Really, it would be hard for me to walk away from this game with how old I am, with my son. I always dreamed of growing — playing as long as I could to where my son knew exactly what he was watching his dad do. Yeah, I mean it’s my health, it’s my body. I feel like this is what’s best for me and my family." The Dolphins in March picked up Tua's fifth-year option, and it appears he'll be good to go for the 2023 season, unless or until he sustains another brain injury. Rotoworld's Denny Carter recently wrote about Tagovailoa's efficiency during his first year in Mike McDaniel's offense. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com
Apr 20, 2023, 8:26 AM ET

April 20th, 2023

Dear Diary

Ricky Williams stole the cookies I left for Snoop Dog.  I never liked him and like him even less now

Snoop D O double G came by and was not happy, since i promised girl scout cookies.

So we smoked a blunt and watched GMFNB for a while, and got sad about not seeing HeyKay Adams

We both agreed Beane needs to make D-Hop a Bill

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I dub this thread T&C’s Diary 

Asked about coming out of retirement and playing for the Dolphins at a conference, Tom Brady did not directly answer the question. 

What he actually said was: "I will say now that I'm not affiliated with any team anymore, even though I have strong ties with a couple teams, I do have some friends on the Dolphins that I really like. So, I wouldn’t say I necessarily root for them all the time, but I root for my friends to do well, and several of them play for Miami.” I's going to take a stronger denial from Brady on this question -- especially given how the Dolphins lost their first-round pick secretly trying to recruit him -- before we're ready to call it completely on his chances of unretiring. Tua Tagovailoa's revelation that he contemplated retirement only adds to the potential smoke. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com
Apr 20, 2023, 2:18 PM ET

On 4/20/2023 at 2:44 PM, NewEra said:

Raiders GM Dave Ziegler said RB Josh Jacobs has not signed his franchise tag and will not participate in the voluntary offseason program.
Jacobs is not allowed to participate in the voluntary offseason program until he signs his franchise tag or the two sides agree on a long-term contract. He previously said he was willing to play on the franchise tag but only if the Raiders added extra talent around him. The team has since added Jakobi Meyers. Ziegler said they are working through "that situation" with Jacobs but didn't seem concerned by the matter. For now, we expect Jacobs to play out the 2023 season on the tag and hit the open market next offseason.

SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter
Apr 21, 2023, 3:43 PM ET

Browns GM Andrew Berry said the team is open to re-signing free agent RB Kareem Hunt.

Hunt has struggled for interest coming off a career low 2022, with the running back not visiting with any teams this offseason. The 27-year-old will likely have to wait until after the draft to sign. There are reports the Browns were concerned with Hunt's speed slipping last season. The Browns, who have Jerome Ford and Demetric Felton behind Nick Chubb, have yet to sign anyone to replace Hunt.

RELATED: Cleveland Browns
SOURCE: Akron Beacon Journal
Apr 22, 2023, 10:49 AM ET

On 4/20/2023 at 3:00 PM, T&C said:

Asked about coming out of retirement and playing for the Dolphins at a conference, Tom Brady did not directly answer the question. 

What he actually said was: "I will say now that I'm not affiliated with any team anymore, even though I have strong ties with a couple teams, I do have some friends on the Dolphins that I really like. So, I wouldn’t say I necessarily root for them all the time, but I root for my friends to do well, and several of them play for Miami.” I's going to take a stronger denial from Brady on this question -- especially given how the Dolphins lost their first-round pick secretly trying to recruit him -- before we're ready to call it completely on his chances of unretiring. Tua Tagovailoa's revelation that he contemplated retirement only adds to the potential smoke. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com
Apr 20, 2023, 2:18 PM ET

Brady bought a stake in the Las Vegas WNBA team, Will his number be on the short list when Jimmy G gets hurt again in Vegas ?

Or, he'll be a Dolphin after Tua's brain sloshes around in his skull again.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Brady bought a stake in the Las Vegas WNBA team, Will his number be on the short list when Jimmy G gets hurt again in Vegas ?

Or, he'll be a Dolphin after Tua's brain sloshes around in his skull again.

I don't think he actually owned any property here in Tampa so I guess he is free to do whatever as is a given. A stake in the WNBA is like tossing money into the wind so you may be on to something.

Tua should just pack up his bags and move on to something non contact imo...

• Like (+1) 1

The Athletic's Dan Duggan reports the Giants have given no indication they want to extend contract-year CB Adoree Jackson.
The Giants current plan is to let Jackson, who signed a three-year, $39 million deal in 2021, play out the final year of his contract. Jackson has missed 11 games the last two years but has produced when healthy, posting 113 tackles, an interception, and 15 PBUs. Franchising RB Saquon Barkley and not picking up Daniel Jones' option last offseason has cost the Giants, with Jones and Barkley accounting for 15% of the cap. Jackson will head back to free agency as a 28-year-old next offseason if the Giants don't extend him.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 23, 2023, 11:11 AM ET

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets are expected to sign Randall Cobb, formerly of the Packers. 

Cobb is the latest Rodgers buddy to make the trip from Green Bay to New York, along with Allen Lazard and Marcedes Lewis. Rodgers had Packers brass bring Cobb, nearly 33, back to the Packers in 2021 after Cobb spent two years away from Green Bay, playing for the Cowboys and Texans. Cobb in 2022 caught 34 passes in 13 games, operating as the Packers' primary slot guy. He'll compete with Mecole Hardman for slot snaps this season. Rodgers will tell Jets coaches exactly how to deploy Cobb, along with every other offensive player. We're monitoring the status of Donald Driver and James Jones. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
May 3, 2023, 8:49 AM ET

23 minutes ago, T&C said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets are expected to sign Randall Cobb, formerly of the Packers. 

Cobb is the latest Rodgers buddy to make the trip from Green Bay to New York, along with Allen Lazard and Marcedes Lewis. Rodgers had Packers brass bring Cobb, nearly 33, back to the Packers in 2021 after Cobb spent two years away from Green Bay, playing for the Cowboys and Texans. Cobb in 2022 caught 34 passes in 13 games, operating as the Packers' primary slot guy. He'll compete with Mecole Hardman for slot snaps this season. Rodgers will tell Jets coaches exactly how to deploy Cobb, along with every other offensive player. We're monitoring the status of Donald Driver and James Jones. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
May 3, 2023, 8:49 AM ET

Anything that might take targets away from Wilson is welcome. I seriously think they have downgraded at the receiver position to appease Rodgers. If they plug Carr into what they had last year I think they would have been better off and kept some premium draft capital. And I'm no Carr fan.

2 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Jets have declined the $13.5 million fifth year option on OT Mekhi Becton. Despite the knee injury I am a little surprised by this. He has apparently lost a lot of weight.

You’re surprised?  He’s been as close to worthless as a player can get.  He’s played in 1 game over the last 2 seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Anything that might take targets away from Wilson is welcome. I seriously think they have downgraded at the receiver position to appease Rodgers. If they plug Carr into what they had last year I think they would have been better off and kept some premium draft capital. And I'm no Carr fan.

Jets had their chance to be up there with KC, BUF and CIN long term, but lost that opportunity when they won a meaningless game and handed Jacksonville Trevor Lawrence.

Due to that franchise altering moment, they had 3 options this off-season:

Stick with Wilson.  Likely have an elite team around a bad QB.  Miss the playoffs. 

Sign Carr.  Become a perennial WC team for the length of his contract.  That's it.  I don't care how good of a team they could put around Carr, he isn't going to be able to take the Jets through the AFC gauntlet and beat 2 of 3 (Mahomes, Allen, Burrow) in the playoffs to get to the Super Bowl. 

Sign Rodgers.  Take, what they hope to be, a 2 year window at a Super Bowl.  Mortgage your franchise future to absord his contract and go for it.. worry about the '25 season when we get there.  

We see what they've chosen.  I can't say they were right or wrong.  It's tough though, because they've pushed present and future chips in on a guy who's great, but at-best, the 4th greatest QB in the Conference. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Jets had their chance to be up there with KC, BUF and CIN long term, but lost that opportunity when they won a meaningless game and handed Jacksonville Trevor Lawrence.

Stick with Wilson.  Likely have an elite team around a bad QB.  Miss the playoffs. 

Sign Carr.  Become a perennial WC team for the length of his contract.  That's it.  I don't care how good of a team they could put around Carr, he isn't going to be able to take the Jets through the AFC gauntlet and beat 2 of 3 (Mahomes, Allen, Burrow) in the playoffs to get to the Super Bowl. 

Sign Rodgers.  Take, what they hope to be, a 2 year window at a Super Bowl.  Mortgage your franchise future to absord his contract and go for it.. worry about the '25 season when we get there.  

We see what they've chosen.  I can't say they were right or wrong.  It's tough though, because they've pushed present and future chips in on a guy who's great, but at-best, the 4th greatest QB in the Conference. 

Yeah if it doesn't work they're going to be looking down the barrel of a bunch of 1st round picks all looking for their 5th year/extension.

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Re: The sign Carr route. 

They easily could have doubled down with QB in the 1st next year and move on from Wilson next year with that route. Now it becomes stickier should Rodgers not rebound or decide that he's done after this year. They likely won't have a 1st. They will be stuck with that talented young roster and... something else that is likely short term. At least Carr bides them time. Also, agree that Carr isn't going to lead a team past all of the top 3 QBs...but he may not have to. One will get knocked off by one of the other two most likely. After that...anything can happen.

The bad part is if rumors are correct and it was the owner that pushed for Rodgers while Coach/GM wanted Carr and Rodgers fails...coach and GM won't possibly be around to see that next QB. They pushed all in on this year...and I don't think it was the right move at all. Time will tell.

It's hard to tell if the Jets will really be significantly better w/ Rodgers.

Certainly, bad QB play held them back last year.  And their defense is stellar.

But will a 40 year old Rodgers be that hard to defend?  He's not aging quite like Brady, who was still playing at a VERY high level at that age.  And he couldn't do anything w/ Green Bay the past couple of years.  

I'm concerned, but not really freaking out.  I wish a HOF QB hadn't come to the AFCE - but I still feel like we can sweep that team w/ the improvements we've made this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.