Von Miller-I feel great and positive that I'll be ready to go early in the season

dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, stevewin said:

A good sign for sure - but It's lateral stability/movement that matters the most.  People thinking he will be ready week 1 are being a tad overly optimistic IMO

Week 1 is 4 months away.  If he's not wearing a brace while working out with that much weight, it's already close.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I hope he has monster season like everyone else, but he is 34 now. I don't know how realistic it is for him to be ready by week 1. How effective will he be as well. Again 34.

If I recall, Bruce Smith and Reggie White had their best seasons in their mid 30's

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

guy is not human

Absolute freak of nature. 

It’s why I have zero concern about his contract.   He certainly looks like he has two good years left in him.  Potentially more, once the contract becomes - essentially - a year to year deal. 

Just a terrible break for us last year, but he’ll be a force again this year once we get him ramped up.  

• Agree 1

On 4/18/2023 at 6:31 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying, and not saying Von is doomed.  But, an ACL tear is an ACL tear.  As far as Tre goes, not sure the meniscus had much to do with his delayed return and sub par play once he returned.  I had a meniscus surgery and went on a bar hopping bike ride for 18 miles just 20 days after surgery.  

Totally get why you still see Von is elite based on last season, but if we are being honest, a lot of that was front loaded in the first part of the season.  Von only had 2 sacks and 9 tackles in his last 5 games before getting hurt.  Not sure I would refer to that stretch of 5 games as elite level production.  He certainly looked elite at times, especially earlier in the season.  But as the season wore on, his impact lessened and I remember some games where a lot of us were wondering why he wasn't showing up more. 

So for me, its a lot to ask to expect any 34 year old DE to come back and still be consistently at an elite level over a season and playoffs.  To expect one coming off an ACL injury to be elite still at age 34 is an even bigger ask.  And to think he can get that injury in week 10 and then be back at an elite level to start the season feels like a stretch.

I am rooting for Von, so fingers crossed he beats the odds and can get back to being at an elite level for us this year.  But I definitely think bringing him along slow using PUP list and getting into form and having fresh legs ahead of playoffs is the better plan than trying to get him out there as soon as possible.  

“… to start the season feels like a stretch” but thank goodness not a tear!!  Depending on who the first 6 games are, I bet he’ll be back if 3 are in the division.  They can rest him for the weak teams.

24 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I hope he has monster season like everyone else, but he is 34 now. I don't know how realistic it is for him to be ready by week 1. How effective will he be as well. Again 34.

Some people on this Earth are just flat out genetic freaks of nature. Von Miller seems like one of those guys. He's truly a rare breed. Top 1% physically. I wouldn't bet against him being physically ready very early in the season...if not by week 1 or 2. Guys like this...age is just experience and not an indication of decline. 

Guys that do next level training and prep work last longer. Guys like Brady, Adrian Peterson, even Frank Gore...they are just built different and have a completely different mindset. 

Last year we saw an "average" timetable for healing with Tre White. Even though they won't flat out admit it...his biggest hurdle in the end was his own mindset and that had him behind on his return...and playing tentatively when he did come back. That's not Von. Our biggest problem with Miller may very well be limiting him from going "full Von" too early. He's going to do the opposite of Tre and push hard both mentally and physically. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Week 1 is 4 months away.  If he's not wearing a brace while working out with that much weight, it's already close.

My point is it's the movement that matters.  Some people with ACL tears can walk or even run in a straight line with the tear.  It's lateral movement that is the issue - the ACL stablizes that.  Willis McGahee ran in a straight line before the draft then sat out the whole year (I know his injury was worse, but the point is he was able to run in a straight line with it far from recovered).  Like I said for sure it's not a bad sign to see him doing these movements, progress for sure.  But in terms of actually being able to play, when we see video of him moving side to side that's when it's time to start to get optimistic he is closer.   I think they will be crazy conservative with him - no need to have any urgency for him to start the season IMO

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, stevewin said:

My point is it's the movement that matters.  Some people with ACL tears can walk or even run in a straight line with the tear.  It's lateral movement that is the issue - the ACL stablizes that.  Willis McGahee ran in a straight line before the draft then sat out the whole year (I know his injury was worse, but the point is he was able to run in a straight line with it far from recovered).  Like I said for sure it's not a bad sign to see him doing these movements, progress for sure.  But in terms of actually being able to play, when we see video of him moving side to side that's when it's time to start to get optimistic he is closer.   I think they will be crazy conservative with him - no need to have any urgency for him to start the season IMO

If we don’t make any additions, hopefully we can enter the season with a healthy DT rotation of Jones, Oliver, Poona and Phillips because that’s a lot of potential firepower from that group to offset any lack of firepower off the edge until Von comes back full throttle. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I didn't know this until it was pointed out earlier in this thread.  A second surgery heals faster because they don't have to drill into this bone again and can use the existing holes.  Meaning you don't have to wait for the bone to heal too.  Plus it wasn't a complete reconstruction as well.  

I don't think he's ready now of course but I just don't see how in 4 months, that lateral movement hasn't strengthened up by then.  

If it's anything like my friend who just went through this surgery, at 58 years old...he was back on the mats after 5 months.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Buffalo Bills defensive end Von Miller expects to avoid the physically unable to perform list when training camp begins next month.

If Miller, who tore his right ACL in the Bills’ win at Detroit on Thanksgiving, doesn’t start camp on the PUP list, the team can’t use that designation for him to start the season (out minimum six games).

“I have good information from my doctor and my knee is all healed up,” Miller said after hosting his pass rush summit in suburban Las Vegas. “It’s all about me and how confident I can be (over) the next three months.”

The Bills open the regular season Sept. 11 at the New York Jets. One strategy is to carry Miller on the initial 53-man roster and then place him on injured reserve, sidelining him a minimum of four games.

The next step in Miller’s rehabilitation are defensive end drills.

“Now I have to start working on my conditioning and position-specific drills and need to start transitioning back into a football player and not just a guy who is rehabbing and getting my leg strong,” he said. “Hopefully I can do that for the next two months and I’ll be ready on the third month.

Not sure how much I believe him but it at least sounds like good news.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure how much I believe him but it at least sounds like good news.

Now that we have Leonard Floyd, I would air on the side of caution as most of us who have been around someone who is healed from an ACL tear it’s not just about that injury, being healed, but making sure that the whole body is stable, and that it’s not overcompensating on some other body part that would cause injury

Edited by John from Riverside

Von has said a lot of things that have been more optimistic than reality. I know Von's tear was different than Tre's ACL injury (Tre's was non-contact while Von's was a fairly clean tear that didn't even get noticed until surgery) but I still think starting the season coming off a late November ACL is really not likely to happen esp for a 33-year-old. I think that the most likely scenario is going to be Von starts on the PUP list to start the season and comes back against the Pats in late October, that would have given him just under 11 months to come back from injury. 

Could it happen that Von comes back to start the season fine? Yeah, Von's tear wasn't as awful as it could have been, and Von has shown to be a freak of nature. But it is still a major injury that could require some time on the PUP list to start the season. 

On 4/18/2023 at 3:45 PM, Gregg said:

I hope he is right but 34 coming off the injury he had I don't see him coming back early in the season. Hoping he can dominate in the playoffs which is when we really need him.

Exactly this. At this point I’d rather him not see the field until at least halfway through the season, preferably even three quarters if it means he’ll be hitting the playoffs full stride and 100% healthy. At that age, even with his incredible athleticism, timing a return that keeps him fresh for the postseason is the kind of edge that makes all the difference at that point in the year.

Assuming Floyd can perform consistently, no reason to see why he wouldn’t, and Groot steps up on the other side - we have the depth and options to contend throughout the season, as well as let Von recover fully and permit us to strategically time the return. 

Edited by ctk232

6 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Exactly this. At this point I’d rather him not see the field until at least halfway through the season, preferably even three quarters if it means he’ll be hitting the playoffs full stride and 100% healthy. At that age, even with his incredible athleticism, timing a return that keeps him fresh for the postseason is the kind of edge that makes all the difference at that point in the year.

Assuming Floyd can perform consistently, no reason to see why he wouldn’t, and Groot steps up on the other side - we have the depth and options to contend throughout the season, as well as let Von recover fully and permit us to strategically time the return. 

Halfway through the season

That’s a bit much

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.