Florio raises an excellent question:

Not sure, I agree with the take.

without checking the actual numbers, where is the money going? Here’s my guesses.

Dion Dawkins top 15 left tackle in the league and still under 30.

Stefon Diggs- top 5-8 wr

Tre White

Von Miller

Poyer and Hyde- best safety duo in the league

Matt Milano- 1st team all pro linebacker

Mitch Morse- top 15 Starting Center

Dawson Knox- top 15 TE and young.

including Allen, these players would make up our top 10 highest paid players.

i don’t see anything majorly alarming. 

The thing that stands out to me is that three of these players were essentially lost to injury last season. Hyde, Miller and White.

Miller looked to be playing himself into a second team all pro selection before he went down.

Hyde was a huge loss and missed the most games out of all of them.

White has not been White since coming back from his ACL. But he was worth the contract when the Bills extended him. Theirs not really anything they can do but hope he returns to form.

Their super star high contract guys outside of Allen are Miller, Diggs and White. All of them appear worth their contracts but injuries derailed two of them.

where fair criticism should be placed is on Beane’s inability to draft more top 15 players outside of Allen in the last five drafts he has overseen. 

The other part of this take that is bad is “all that money left behind”. Let’s not over react as if Allen is playing for peanuts. He’s still being paid top 10 at the position and that means the Bills are not going to be sitting on a mountain of extra cash to bring in more top talent than the average team. 

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

This is just dumb on Florios part.  The Bills are up against it as far as the cap goes because they’ve spent on Diggs, Miller, Milano, etc.  Buffalo has been spending!  

Exactly. I think the Bills season could have been drastically different for the better had Hyde and Miller not gone down with injuries. The Bills are spending money. The injuries to Hyde and Miller and really White as well, who is not the top 5 corner back he was before the injury, really put the Bills in a tough spot. 

On offense they have spent money on Dawkins, Morse and Knox. The key is they have to hit on value free agents again (think Beasley and John Brown) and draft picks. 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They’re gonna do it the same way that all the other teams do it whenever they have high cap hits they’re going to start using younger, drafted players

I agree.  The question becomes whether those younger players are as good as the aging, expensive players.  How many players currently playing on their rookie deals have shown themselves to be cornerstone type players?  Groot looks like he’s going to be at least a solid player, and he’s still got upside.  Other than that, there are mostly question marks.  I liked Elam coming out of Florida, but I don’t know what happened with him last year.  Will Davis put it all together just in time to earn a huge payday?

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

This is just dumb on Florios part.  The Bills are up against it as far as the cap goes because they’ve spent on Diggs, Miller, Milano, etc.  Buffalo has been spending!  

Not so much on offense, Diggs and who else as above average help for Allen? and especially not on the O-line, in that respect they have fallen short in a noticeable way, look at what your own team did with their O-line, and they did it in one off season. I like an awful lot about what Beane and McDermott have done, but they appear at this point to have plateaued a bit.

They have by far put the majority of there eggs in the defensive basket, with less than expected results in the post season for three consecutive years, and now gently pushed Frazier out the door, and during that time used a fair number of also ran types on the offensive side as supposed help for their franchise QB. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

We basically save money on Josh then, Diggs aside, spend it on defense.

I think a better question is why hasn't the Oline been upgraded to at least being solid? For the past 5 years the Oline has always been an issue. I'd agrue it's been a weakness more than anything. 

Allen has every right to pound the table for better protection and run blocking.

It's the major issue that has really kept the team from advancing.

Perhaps that's what Florio is getting at in a round about way. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

#1 - team friendly ?....i dont think so...josh got fair market value at the time he signed......the market going up is a different issue.

#2- whats beane doing with the money ? guess he never heard of spotrac.... guess building a top 5 roster was dumb luck

#3 - is it time to use some day 1 & 2 draft capital on offense....YES!

#4- florio is paid to create click bait content......he's good at making mountains out of mole hills.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not so much on offense, Diggs and who else as above average help for Allen? and especially not on the O-line, in that respect they have fallen short in a noticeable way, look at what your own team did with their O-line, and they did it in one off season. I like an awful lot about what Beane and McDermott have done, but they appear at this point to have plateaued a bit.

They have by far put the majority of there eggs in the defensive basket, with less than expected results in the post season for three consecutive years, and now gently pushed Frazier out the door, and during that time used a fair number of also ran types on the offensive side as supposed help for their franchise QB. 

Go Bills!!!

4 of their 5 biggest cap hits in 2023 are on offense.

8 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He says:

"If I'm Josh Allen, and I'm on a team friendly deal, I'm saying to somebody: 'What the hell are you doing with all the money I left behind? Where's the beef? Why do I not have the help I need?' "

It's a REALLY good question. This team restructures Allen, and does what with it, exactly? Finds a cheap guard? Brings back AJ Klein?

This draft will tell us what the future's gonna look like. If they blow it (as they have in recent drafts) on defense, I think it's time for Allen to start making noise. And frankly, he has every right to.

💯 

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

As stated my contention is that the roster construction and cap allocation under Beane and McDermott is now being rightfully questioned due to lack of post season success

I don't think it's such a stretch to say this team has underachieved in the playoffs considering who we have at QB

Yep. It is not just about Allen's contract value but the way other money was spent. Should we have acquired von Miller when that money could have then be used eventually on OL and WR? I think the latter was the better option (and not because Miller got injured). 

Right now, the FO actions of Buffalo and Green Bay look frighteningly similar. At least Rodgers won a SB with those actions so we can hope for that. But with someone like #17, we should be thinking more along the lines of the success the Chiefs are having. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Buffalo has been spending!  

On defense…

8 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

We basically save money on Josh then, Diggs aside, spend it on defense.

Bingo.

This was Florio’s point.

It seems to have flown over several people’s heads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Bills spend 49% of their cap on defense and 47% on offense

Chiefs spend 35% on defense and 55% on offense

Bengals spend 41% on defense and 51% on offense

They also just restructured Allen’s contract to reduce his hit this season by nearly $20 million which skews those numbers pretty significantly.  

8 hours ago, pocoboy said:

Florio says whatever he believes will give the Patriots an advantage.

Florio is a Vikings fan. Not a Patriots fan.

He’s also one of the best reporters in sports. He rarely if ever pretends to know inside knowledge. He just gives his opinion.

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Bills spend 49% of their cap on defense and 47% on offense

Chiefs spend 35% on defense and 55% on offense

Bengals spend 41% on defense and 51% on offense

The Bengals will be more like 65% offense and 35% defense once Burrow and Chase get paid.

Chiefs also just unloaded Tyreek and his huge contract last year. I’m assuming they were over 60% with Hill.

The Bills 47% is well behind.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He says:

"If I'm Josh Allen, and I'm on a team friendly deal, I'm saying to somebody: 'What the hell are you doing with all the money I left behind? Where's the beef? Why do I not have the help I need?' "

It's a REALLY good question. This team restructures Allen, and does what with it, exactly? Finds a cheap guard? Brings back AJ Klein?

This draft will tell us what the future's gonna look like. If they blow it (as they have in recent drafts) on defense, I think it's time for Allen to start making noise. And frankly, he has every right to.

So obvious to see,  only Beane apologists cannot see he has done next to nothing this offseason.  Glad Mike called it

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Defense 1st that throws the football a lot and has one of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL.

We can all agree the Beasley replacement didn’t work last year. That’s 1 season.

His high draft capital and free agent signings have been heavily defense oriented. They just expect Josh to work miracles with the supporting cast and line. Player for player on that oline would any of these guys start for the chiefs or eagles? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.