Future sale of Bills ??????????? (speculation from attention seeking media)

DallasBillsFan1

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Thanks - and just for clarification though - did Kirwan ever suggest during one of their what if scenarios that the Bills were a likely sell in the near future?

not in that show, but in past he has wondered how much more the team would be worth with a new stadium and a winning team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Cool. That's like a 10 cent down payment if the Bills sell for 10 billion. How do I get in on this action?

You might get the financial support of @HOUSE for nothing more than a new ashtray. I think he’s hiding assets for some reason, he’s not broke like he makes out. Did you realize he has a slightly damaged coffee pot AND a floor? He’s got to have some clout to help you. 

EDIT: The title now reads like this is some kind of an imminent transaction, not just some pure speculation on the radio. That’s a bit misleading, IMO. Is it possible? Sure. Do I think it will happen? Not in my lifetime when they have the stadium coming out of the ground. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

not in that show, but in past he has wondered how much more the team would be worth with a new stadium and a winning team. 

Per Forbes the Bills are currently 29th out of 32 teams. The Bills are worth 3.4 billion. So, the new stadium has made a difference.

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

How do we know him? How many times have you met him? I have only once. I don’t know him at all. Reporters likely know him more than fans do. We only see his public persona.

Come on, I'm comparing an avid Buffalo sports fan (both hockey and football) and all the times we have watched the Pegula's interact with the

community and all of the interviews and press conference compared to a couple of national football guys.  I disagree with your assumption these

2 guys know him better than the Buffalo community.  As to the "public persona", I don't think every time Terry has tears in his eyes it's an act.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Terry’s daughter has stated publicly she’s learning the business side to take the team over some day. 

I recently heard his oldest daughter from his first marriage was with him at the Owners meetings last month.  

Can anyone confirm?  

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I recently heard his oldest daughter from his first marriage was with him at the Owners meetings last month.  

Can anyone confirm?  

Yes she was there representing the team. I read it from a few places:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-laura-pegula-represents-bills-at-nfl-meetings-and-other-topics-of-note/article_91f31434-ce47-11ed-8735-1b192691c8fa.html

Edited by corta765
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Future sale of Bills ??????????? (speculation from attention seeking media)
26 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Can anyone confirm?  

She’s the biggest Sabres fan other than Terry.  She’s also very smart, a geologist.

I can’t see the Pegulas ever selling the Bills or Sabres. It seems like the kids want to run the teams in the future. Jessica even talked about it a few months ago in the article she wrote.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

She’s the biggest Sabres fan other than Terry.  She’s also very smart, a geologist.

I can’t see the Pegulas ever selling the Bills or Sabres. It seems like the kids want to run the teams in the future.

Especially the Bills. Being an NFL owner is owning a cash cow. The money off the TV contract alone is crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Especially the Bills. Being an NFL owner is owning a cash cow. The money off the TV contract alone is crazy. 

Bills will be worth $15 billion by the time the kids are their parents age. What better job is there than owning a sports team? Especially for people that love sports and competing? Laura was a college athlete and we all know about Jessica.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Terry’s daughter has stated publicly she’s learning the business side to take the team over some day. 

The big question is what happens once Terry and Kim pass.  I think the inheritance tax situation will essentially force a sell.  I believe that happened in Denver.  Hope I am wrong....

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Good point about Kim being the person expected to be the succession plan. It might now depend on the interest level of the daughters. If they don’t want to take over the family businesses, then cashing out right after the new stadium is built would be a smart move. That is a huge additional asset that will raise the value of the team immensely. I’m not saying that it is going to happen, but after what has happened with the family it would not be a surprise. 

The problem with kids taking it over might have to do with taxes because assets don't pass tax-free to children with those kind of estate net worth but I am definitely not sure on that 

From what I understand, estate taxes can be between 20% and 40% of the value of the estate, so in order for the children to own the team they would need to be able to pay a tax of well over $1 billion in cash. That's the biggest issue with the team remaining in the family sometime hopefully long, long into the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

From what I understand, estate taxes can be between 20% and 40% of the value of the estate, so in order for the children to own the team they would need to be able to pay a tax of well over $1 billion in cash. That's the biggest issue with the team remaining in the family sometime hopefully long, long into the future. 

The rich know all the loopholes to minimize the tax burden...whether that be putting it in a trust, or whatever else they do.

Those people didn't get rich by giving money away.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The big question is what happens once Terry and Kim pass.  I think the inheritance tax situation will essentially force a sell.  I believe that happened in Denver.  Hope I am wrong....

Yep, and it's the same reason the Robbie family had to sell the Dolphins 30 years ago, as they had to pay a $47million tax bill.

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Another aspect adding complexity to the situation is that by that time the team may be worth half, if not more, the total inheritance, making a shared ownership the only viable option. That's certainly possible but my personal experience is that family businesses should be run by an odd number of family members, and three is too many.

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The rich know all the loopholes to minimize the tax burden...whether that be putting it in a trust, or whatever else they do.

Those people didn't get rich by giving money away.

No. When Jack Kent Cook, owner of the Redskins, passed away, they tried everything to pass the team to the kids and failed. The estate had to sell to Snyder.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I could see him selling as well.   His heart may just not be in it anymore without Kim in the building with him.  He may see the team and her over the top work ethic as a cause of her health issues.    I could see it for sure.  

Life is short and he may want to travel around for Jessica’s tournaments. I wonder how things are going to be with ownership and the team over the next decade. Unforeseen circumstances, sadly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.