Jalen Hurts contract

aristocrat

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Glad to see Hurts get his before Burrow and Herbert.  Burrow and Herbert will end up getting more than Hurts, and the more the Bengals and Chargers pay their QBs, the better it is for the Bills.

Does it really matter? How much more will it be? And nfl contracts are so fluid. They all get restructured and then you have to pay them the same. Every elite qb kinda makes the same. Except prime Brady when he took less than market value.  Once you have to pay your qb, you are giving up like 30-40% of your cap.

• Agree 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Does it really matter? How much more will it be? And nfl contracts are so fluid. They all get restructured and then you have to pay them the same. Every elite qb kinda makes the same. Except prime Brady when he took less than market value.  Once you have to pay your qb, you are giving up like 30-40% of your cap.

Respectfully, yes, it does matter that two Conference rivals are going to drastically reduce their available cap space and flexibility this off season.  Ask Beane whether it was easier building a roster before or after Josh's second contract.

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Mama Hurts got Jalen a good deal.

Josh is at $43M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

he’s going to be at $47 and $56 the next 2 years. He also will probably have this contract ripped up and extended before it’s over and end up making like $60 million/ year with the next contract. Crazy money 

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Respectfully, yes, it does matter that two Conference rivals are going to drastically reduce their available cap space and flexibility this off season.  Ask Beane whether it was easier building a roster before or after Josh's second contract.

Oh, I get that. They will be in the same boat as us. 

I think the nfl either needs to qb contracts more in line wirh other positions or make the qb contract count separate. For instance if I’m Barkley making $10 million and seeing Daniel Jones’ giddy self making $40 million, I couldn’t live with that.

Does anyone think that Lamar may now see the sense in getting an actual agent, instead of his mom?

What the hell am I thinking, 😂 Lamar won’t ever do that…, 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

he’s going to be at $47 and $56 the next 2 years. He also will probably have this contract ripped up and extended before it’s over and end up making like $60 million/ year with the next contract. Crazy money 

That is cap hit, not contract money.  His restructure(s) are going to make the yearly cap hits all over the place.

49 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I’m not sure Howie Roseman knows how to create a good team without a QB on a rookie contract. Guess we will see.

they get to Superbowls

44 minutes ago, Ben said:

Makes Josh look like a bargain even more

every contract signed years ago looks like bargain. I hate that. Wait in 2 years when he gets a new one

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Does anyone think that Lamar may now see the sense in getting an actual agent, instead of his mom?

What the hell am I thinking, 😂 Lamar won’t ever do that…, 😂

Lamar is not a very smart person, evidently his Momma ain't either

• Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, chongli said:

So, Josh gets less than Mahomes...ok...arguably Mahomes is better, but Kyler Murray, who signed later, makes more than both. Ok.

That Kyler Murray contract ey, yi yi

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair question. His model is to build from the trenches out. Which is really effective when you have a cheap QB and can plough that money back into your offensive and defensive front. But when you start paying your QB the big bucks that is where your depth and quality is going to suffer first. That said, last time I think the main issue was just that he chose to pay a QB that sucked. Hurts doesn't suck. So let's see how it goes. 

It's also a point that when the Eagles had Wentz on a cheap rookie deal and won the Superbowl, they chose to pay a good amount of $$ to a backup QB - not top-10 starter-type money these days, but a decent chunk of their cap - which is of course why they won, and why they went to the divisional round of the playoffs the following year.

But yeah, that's the main problem, he chose to pay a QB who basically became uncoachable and lost his drive to improve.   We can only cross our fingers and hope that Josh doesn't go that route, because I fear we saw glimpses of it at the end of last season and it's happened to other potentially-great talented QB as well (Russ Willson, for example).

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

they get to Superbowls

every contract signed years ago looks like bargain. I hate that. Wait in 2 years when he gets a new one

Josh didn't give the Bills a "hometown discount" in the amount of money he is being paid.  Where he did cut the Bills some slack was in the length of his contract.  Josh signed a six year contract that began at the end of his rookie contract locking him up until 2028.   With Hurts new contract, he is also locked up through 2028.  

Josh entered the League two years before Hurts did and both of their second contracts end in 2028.  The Bills got to lock up their guy at a lower rate for an additional two years compared to the Eagles, and with the inflation of the QB market, those extra years are big.  The Chiefs robbed the bank getting Mahomes to sign for ten years.

In today's NFL, I think the length of the contract is more important than the amount of the contract.  Every additional year is incredibly valuable to a franchise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I'm a big fan of Hurts, and followed him closely since he started at Alabama. 

I think maybe he caught lightning in a bottle last year.  He absolutely played well, but i'm not sure that's who he will be long term.  Having said that, Philly did what they had to do here, and Hurts is certainly better than any other QBs that were realistic options for them

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.