AJ Klein Expected to Sign with Bills

Warriorspikes51

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I sense a little sarcasm there (maybe I'm wrong).  The comparison to Matt Barkley is probably unfair - Klein was named defensive player of the week as a backup in 2020, played capably in 4 games in 2021 for both LB positions, and played well against Detroit last season filling in for Edmunds.   Klein also played a lot of ST snaps in the last 5 games and both playoff games.

It's been a bit longer since Barkley contributed on the field to that extent.

But there's an element of truth, too, of course.  Absolutely being a smart and savvy player gets a guy extra seasons.  Micah Hyde calls him "Coach Klein", when a defensive captain who is relied upon by the coaches pays that respect to a peer, it probably means something. 

There's a thread here somewhere about good players who aren't great athletes, and I actually thought of AJ Klein when I read that.  It's like Jim Leonard, guy was never a great athlete by NFL standards but built a career by having a top level understanding of defense and being able to make the right call on what the opponent was gonna do.

Agreed.  If it wasn’t sarcasm, it missed the mark.  AJ is a much better LB than Barkley is QB.  He can get the job done

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Solid pickup . Surprised they didn’t do it earlier. We know his skill level/ limitations. 

He was probably hoping to make a little more money imo- he’s as solid a backup LB as there is imo.  Worth slightly above the minimum imo

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I wouldn't count out Spector, the guy wad an animal when he started against the Colts 

Yeah I think he has potential, he’s way more interesting than Bernard. But that is pre-season, so just a different animal. I wouldn’t count him out. A three star recruit who pushed his way into a starting role at Clemson above other guys? I wouldn’t doubt him. His play strength was the concern coming out, so one hopes he’s been smashing weights all off season. Who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

So @Yantha, You puked at this topic? I sure would love to know why you hate this so much.... 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Didn't he serve as MLB in spots and do decent?  Not to say that should be the plan, but good to have options

2 years ago first game against KC. They matched him up against Kelce and bumped him around hard, then a Safety took over after 5 yards. Worked very well. I have no issue with this move, especially when we may see more 4-3 do to no Edmunds

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So @Yantha, You puked at this topic? I sure would love to know why you hate this so much.... 

2 years ago first game against KC. They matched him up against Kelce and bumped him around hard, then a Safety took over after 5 yards. Worked very well. I have no issue with this move, especially when we may see more 4-3 do to no Edmunds

Certainly.  I was hoping to move on from Klein without a cap penalty.  We had a chance....  I just think there are much better options on the FA and/or draft to fill his roster spot.  He's just not a good player.

I don’t think they’re adding a first or 2nd round LB esp with Klein. I mean there just isn’t enough reps to find your starter if you have Klein, Dodson, Bernard, Spector, and a draftee vying for starting reps. 

I still think Spector will end up with the job at some point this year. 

Championship!!!!!

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think he’s a bit underrated. Violent tackler and had some big sacks

At the very least he can push for the starting spot in camp.

hopefully this also limits our chances of LB in the 1st

I recall that he singlehandedly dismantled the Seahags, before Russ climbed the Rocky Mountains and forgot how to cook.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.